• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing what's a good source for brakes?

rukwikenuf

Private
Minuteman
Jul 2, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
i know that Napa carries a lot, but that's not the kind of brake i'm looking for. i'm pipe-dreaming my first precision rifle, and i'm planning a brake. i've searched Midway and Brownell's, but they seem to have primarily AR-type muzzle brakes. is there another vendor that i should know about, or should i just try to whip one out on the CNC's at work? (btw, the latter option isn't that feasible, they get pissed if i work on private projects, plus, i'd rather just buy one so i know it's done right)

Re: what's a good source for brakes?

Go to www.snowymtnrifles.com

Look at muzzle brakes.
I know I'll get hammered on this, but this brake will shut any gun down. It was originaly a Lawton Cheytac brake, I think a dude from Lawton went to work at Snowy Mtn, copied it.
Don't get mad Chad, but Garrett at Longrifles Inc. fired one of these on a 7mm SAUM they built for me, he said it was the best brake he'd ever fired.

ok, are there any sources where i can look at more than one brake? that one looks good, Milo, but i'm wanting one in Stainless. my goal is to have a gun that is virtually impervious to the elements. it'll be my hunting rig, and maybe i'll shoot it from a rest once in a while. maybe.

The ad says, chrome moly or SS.

I'm a fan of the Muscle Brakes. Check out Center Shot Rifles site for pics. I got mine from Benchmark barrels.

I use the Vias type brakes on hunting rifles, and the Fat Bastard brakes on the competition rifles. Send me a PM if interested in the Vias type brakes. Regards. Roskoe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2156SMK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ross's $40 brake is all you need.
It's sorta like a PRI QC brake, but he makes them to your specific size.</div></div>

+1 for Ross.
E-mail for Ross: [email protected]

Do any of you have experience with the BABC from BattleComp on a bolt gun? I have one laying around that I was originally going to use on a 300BO, but went with a different unit, and since they cost a fortune, I figured I could use it on my R700 build.

That Hammerhead is looking pretty good as well, I may give that one a try if the BABC is a no go.

The Ross brake is pretty hard to beat for the money and it works. The more brakes I try the harder it is for me to find a noticeable difference between them so why pay more. I payed like 60 bucks more for my APA little bastard then for my Ross. I like the Ross better due to the ports at 12 o'clock. YMMV.