• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's a 'spider'?

Mr Flannel

Self-Licking Icecream
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2006
Australia
I note in the 'who's online' box it states ###registered ###guests and ###<span style="font-weight: bold">spiders</span>.

Pardon my dumbness but what or who is a 'spider'?

Re: What's a 'spider'?

Good question....I tried to figure it out a couple weeks ago with no luck....but then again alot has changed around here in the last couple years...

Not so much data mining, but indexing the page so its easier to find. Google runs thousands of spiders that read your page and cache the relevant parts into their search engine, so when people search you can get that instant result instead of waiting for a few days while it searches the entire internet.

With SH's forum being so rapidly changing, the spiders like to hang out and watch for new posts or updates, and record them as they happen so everybody can find them using Google or Yahoo.

Spiders (order Araneae) are air-breathing arthropods that have eight legs, and chelicerae with fangs that inject venom. They are the largest order of arachnids and rank seventh in total species diversity among all other groups of organisms.

FYI

I was wondering the same thing... I was WAAAAAAAYY off... I didn't think it was that...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Spiders (order Araneae) are air-breathing arthropods that have eight legs, and chelicerae with fangs that inject venom. They are the largest order of arachnids and rank seventh in total species diversity among all other groups of organisms.

FYI </div></div>

Christ...tell me they're not in my computer??

I thought it was the gizmo that you index a barrel with on a lathe
laugh.gif

Cheers,

Doc

You forgot the most relevant part of that definition, Mike- "Usually found underneath a rolled up newspaper or under the heel of a shoe, in various stages of induced catastrophic structural failure."
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pvt.Joker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You forgot the most relevant part of that definition, Mike- "Usually found underneath a rolled up newspaper or under the heel of a shoe, in various stages of induced catastrophic structural failure."
wink.gif
</div></div>

I got bored after the first sentence.
laugh.gif