• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Whats best multi purpose MOA scope.

wadcutter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2008
NSW Australia
www.austargets.com
OK boys,
I need help selecting a new scope.

I had a look at the Nightforce 2.5-10x32 and was very disapointed. I intended to buy one but not any longer.

Now I'm a fan of the bigger Nightforce scopes and have a 5.5-22 x56 NXS but this smaller N/F scope is just no good for multi range shooting. You have to unscrew the elevation caps before you can change the elevation turret setting, this is no good for my purposes. I would not use it past 500 yards. Too much parallax error as well. It is more suited to an African game hunting rifle like a .375 H&H.

I like the Clearidge 2.5-12.5x42 on my son's rifle, It is light, 30mm tube has heaps of adjustment, 2.5 power is ideal for up close shooting and 12.5 power is plenty for the odd long shot and it has parallax adjustment to get rid of that error. I am however put off by the elevation adjustment not being correct 1/4 MOA per click. About 10% error is what I make it on my son's scope.

Do you know of a scope that would suit my needs. I want a scope that is good for up close hunting but can be used at long range accurately if required.

This is my wish list.

Must have exposed tactical turrets in accurate 1/4 MOA clicks.
Must have 30mm tube with lots of adjustment.
Lower power setting no greater than 3 power (Don't want 3.5 power)
Maximum power setting no less than 10 power. 12 or greater prefered.
Must have parallax adjustment.
Don't want mil dot reticle but do like the MOA N/F type reticles.

Sounds like a simple enough request but I can't find one!
Please help.

Re: Whats best multi purpose MOA scope.

Spec out a us optics the way you want. I believe a 1.8-10 will meet all of your requirements.

You can leave the cpas off. Not a problem

This US Optics should fit the bill. It's a 1.8-10x. I think about 100 Moa internal adjustment. You can get it with all kinds of different turrets, reticles, illumination, etc. Built like a tank. Here is a link to their website.

http://www.usoptics.com/configurator/configure.php?PN=SN3-1000

SN3.jpg

With this reticle

MoaReticle.jpg

Just ordered a Bushnell 6500 Tactical in 2.5-16x42 with mil dot reticle.

Has just about all the features that I am looking for. Except the mil dot reticle, but I can live with it.

If it is OK I will keep it on my .338 WM that is being reamed out to .338 RUM.
If it is no good I will just chuck it onto my Sako .222 and use it for Rabbits and foxes etc. Then I will be back to square one!