• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Whats Going on here

MAGA4LIFE

Knob Slobber Extraordinaire
Banned !
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2019
Kentucky
So my buddy just put together a bear creek AR-15 put a Vortex 3-9x40 on it and took it to the range..... This thing was all over the place . Checked the scope mounts,,, Both were tight , nothing loosened up , but the bullet strikes were all over the paper... @ 100, and @50 yds. I'd take 1 or 2 shots and they'd be respectable , the the following shots would be so far off it was crazy . I'm no Chris Kyle but I can dam sure hold a cross hair on a target @ 100 YDS.lol WHY are these impacts all over the place? Anyone???? scope is Brand new to

You'll have to help us help you... Define "all over the place" and "respectable".

Shooting off a rest or offhand?
What kind of ammo?
Did he assemble the upper?
Which Vortex scope?
What kind of scope mount?
Etc... Be specific.

Reactions: 1911Shootist
were you using sellier and bellot ammo ? if not maybe the gun really did not like the ammo you used in it or the other people that mentioned something could be loose . which ever or what ever it is good luck figuring it out and fixing those problems .

Nothing was loose, was a vortex crossfire 2 3-9x40 reloaded ammo ( which shot perfectly fine in MY Rifle out to 200 yds. Walmart rings, mounted low.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20200216_133205.jpg
    MVIMG_20200216_133205.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 49
You'll have to help us help you... Define "all over the place" and "respectable".

What kind of ammo?
Which Vortex scope?
Etc... Be specific.
Shooting from rest
Reloaded ammo
Upper came assembled
3-9power
Standard rings. Lol what else you want?

Attachments

• MVIMG_20200216_174300.jpg
    MVIMG_20200216_174300.jpg
    711.1 KB · Views: 51

What kind of ammo?
Which Vortex scope?
Etc... Be specific.

Attachments

365.3 KB · Views: 24
Walmart Rings? Come on man.

Try a new scope/ring combo.

If that doesn't work, try different ammo.

Only change one thing at a time.

What kind of ammo?
Which Vortex scope?
Etc... Be specific.
All over the place ( see photo)

Attachments

365.3 KB · Views: 20
Walmart rings lol lol lol lol lol
Look, it ain't my gun. Lol , it's my buddy's, but even still. The scope isn't loose, it doesn't move it's mounted solid. No way cheap rings are going to do this, unless they're flopping all over the place.

Attachments

365.3 KB · Views: 25
Bear Creek isn't exactly known for accuracy and you sound like you have know idea wtf you're doing in general.

First thing I'd do is make sure everything is tight. Next get some good factory ammo and try again.
First off, eat a dick smart ass. I know wtf I'm doing, second, I put 100 end of factory ammo through it to start. I fired BOTH factory AND my reloads through BOTH his and MY Rifle, my AR was dead balls on target with both. His all over the place with both. So before you start assuming shit, try asking some questions, cause you sound like a total fkn asshole!

• Haha
Reactions: Spblademaker
Who is the manufacturer of the lower and upper? Take his scope and rings off. Put your optic on his rifle. See if it improves. Still too many unknown variables that need narrowed down. That is horrific grouping though

Reactions: Docsherm
Patterns like that might indicate something is not assembled correctly.
Do not shoot until you completely go through this rifle.
Even a smooth bore cheapest barrel in the country should shoot just a little better than this.
Unless it's a short pistol barrel.

As far as info did I miss barrel length and twist?
Bullet weight and charge for reloads,
Brand of factory ammo?

Just asking for a friend.

First off, eat a dick smart ass. I know wtf I'm doing, second, I put 100 end of factory ammo through it to start. I fired BOTH factory AND my reloads through BOTH his and MY Rifle, my AR was dead balls on target with both. His all over the place with both. So before you start assuming shit, try asking some questions, cause you sound like a total fkn asshole!

Aren't you the dude that blew his gun up because you basically can't count and overcharged-significantly-rounds with powder?

Isn't this you?:

That's why I assumed you don't know wtf you're doing. So I would take the energy it took to throw those witty cutting edge insults at me and put it toward listening and learning from the wealth of knowledge on this board.

Who is the manufacturer of the lower and upper? Take his scope and rings off. Put your optic on his rifle. See if it improves. Still too many unknown variables that need narrowed down. That is horrific grouping though
Yeah I know. Lol and I did, I switched optics, mine was off by a county mile when placed on his rifle, but it was CONSISTENT, I kept hitting in the same spot even though it was way high. I didn't not however put his on my rifle. That target was at 50yds to. That's HORRIBLE. It did that with both my reloaded 55 gn. And factory 55 gn ammo. Is it possible that his bear Creek upper is just THAT shitty?

Patterns like that might indicate something is not assembled correctly.
Do not shoot until you completely go through this rifle.
Even a smooth bore cheapest barrel in the country should shoot just a little better than this.
Unless it's a short pistol barrel.

As far as info did I miss barrel length and twist?
Bullet weight and charge for reloads,
Brand of factory ammo?

Just asking for a friend.
Hey Gunny, thanks for chiming in. 16" bear Creek 1:8 shot both factory and reloaded 55 gn ball ammo though it. Lower is a milled out 80% Mill spec trigger standard BCG, the thing RAN great! Never missed a beat, it just WILL NOT, hold tight at any range. What say you. ?

Aren't you the dude that blew his gun up because you basically can't count and overcharged-significantly-rounds with powder?

Isn't this you?:

That's why I assumed you don't know wtf you're doing. So I would take the energy it took to throw those witty cutting edge insults at me and put it toward listening and learning from the wealth of knowledge on this board.
So YOUR idea of wealth and knowledge is to Berate and belittle someone over an oversight/ mistake they made while hand loading? Well geeze, I sure do wish I was as perfect as YOU pal. You could have easily offered up a possible solution WITHOUT the smart ass comment. It's people like YOU that give a potentially great sure like this a HORRIBLE image/reputation, but don't worry, I'll be sure the pass this thread on to the moderator of the site, and for future reference? If you see a post by me in the future,,,,,, keep moving along. Your kind of "HELP" isn't needed here.

Did you put your upper on his list lower and shoot it?

prob not as that’s not something that would occur to most but could have ruled in/out the lower as being the problem.

Bear creek sucks, but that thing is grouping worse than a 12 gauge. I’m thinking something’s wrong with the gun (prob the barrel). If a typical AR15 barrel doesn’t like a particular load (factory or hand rolled), 3-5 MOA is normal at 100; If it likes it, 1 MOA or better is observed.

I once had a Sako M995 7mm Remington mag that was completely shot out and it grouped somewhat like that but at 200.

Yeah I know. Lol and I did, I switched optics, mine was off by a county mile when placed on his rifle, but it was CONSISTENT, I kept hitting in the same spot even though it was way high. I didn't not however put his on my rifle. That target was at 50yds to. That's HORRIBLE. It did that with both my reloaded 55 gn. And factory 55 gn ammo. Is it possible that his bear Creek upper is just THAT shitty?
[/QUOTE]
Am I reading this right? You put your optic on his rifle and shots were grouping just high? The spraying went away with the optic swap?

Here's my take on this thread.

When you have a problem, and expect internet commandos to solve it for you,
Give details up front. Lots of details.
Describe everything.

Even go so far as hold the problem hardware up to the monitor so we can see parts.
:)

I'm here to suck up information, learn, get better.
There's at least a dozen members here that know more than I do.
Catch some flack? I'm a big boy.

Last edited:
Got pics of the rifle?

It could be many things hard to diagnose "all over the place"

I think the scope swap was the answer.
If not, it's time for the armorer's wrench.

Agree, totally missed that in his ramblings, assuming that’s what he meant to say....If so, not sure why he didn’t stop right there and call it on the optic.

These threads are always entertaining, either way.

A shit rifle and a shit optic isn’t going to give you positive result.
I disagree.
Put together properly you should get decent results.
The $400 AR is still a potent little weapon.
Sure, spend a little more and get better results.

I've got a $1000 AR, including optics and a bipod and bag, and mat,
and a box of ammo :)
it shoots pretty good.

if a trade off has to be made, I’d buy a low rent rifle or barrel and spend my money on a quality optic and mount (or rings). Chances are, you will be penalized more so by a shit, Chinese made scope than a barrel or rifle, assuming the barrel or rifle doesn’t have any legitimate defects.

See lots of posters (mostly noobs) on here asking for advice on picking between two or three pieces of shit to mount on a half decent rifle. Then a few months later, they start bitching and wondering out loud (and digitally) why they can’t hit the broad side of a barn and that the “tracking seems off”.

Lol.

Most shoot @ 100 yards (or less).
Could care less about tracking.
My cheapest AR, an assembled upper, assembled lower, from PSA came in about $400.
It has a Simpson scope that after rebate cost me about $35 and $10
Chinese rings.
No matter how hard I try I can not keep 5 rounds groups consistently at 1 MOA.

I shot for a couple of years @ 100 (after moving up from 25/50 :) )

Maybe you guys could help fix my PSA 2 pin build so it gets quarter MOA groups :)
Charging handle upgrade?

Yea start with the handle. Then put a Quigley Ford on it...you will have to go out of your way to avoid shooting one hole at 100. A punisher sticker on the lower or stock will get you 1/4 inch at 500 with just steel case ammo :cool:

I know this has turned to humor but putting together a bargain that shoots is a challenge.
I'm still improving my skill level, assembly my own AR's now, reload, all to have something that I made.
Not the cheapest of parts, but stuff that warrants tag lines from The German :)

A shit rifle and a shit optic isn’t going to give you positive result.
Ok , so you wizards of rifle range all say basically it equates to$$$$$. You hack on his bear Creek upper, call a vortex scope a shit scope, and basically say unless it costs a grand or better it won't perform. Yet I can take my " Cheap ass" Ruger 556 $550.00 retail and a 100.00 Trinity force 4 power scope and hit consistently @3000yds 8" plate. I don't know anything about bear Creek, never shot one, but to say money is the end all be all of accuracy is bullshit

Got some typos to fix ??? 3000?

I'm taking my Cheap Ass home brew AR to 600 Saturday. That's long for me :)
I'm gonna park it next to some more expensive rifles on the line.
Don't talk back to the elite unless you are good.

Attachments

• Challenge-Set-Up.jpg
    Challenge-Set-Up.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Reactions: Jeeper48
OK, so you make a typo and we all
jump on it.
8" plate @ 300 yds is Bear Creek.
Your goal should be to get a little better.
(and avoid damage/injury).
There are many here that shoot 0.1 MOA (not me).
A gazillion that shoot 1 MOA or less.
Some of us are proud to get on paper.

On-Paper.jpg

Some proud of that fluke one shot miracle :)
Like my avatar :)
Dialed from a 100 yard zero to a calculated 600yd zero and popped a clean cold bore X.
No brag, just fact :)

Last edited:
Inexpensive rifles CAN shoot. The problem is when they DONT shoot, it's hard to narrow down which inexpensive part of it is causing the issue. Just dont expect 1" groups from $500 AR.

@MAGA4LIFE You need to try and eliminate possibilities one at a time.

Try another scope & ring combo.
Try another lower.
Try another BCG.
Try removing and re-installing the barrel.
If nothing changes I would suspect the barrel.
Try a different barrel. For $100-$200 you can have a match grade barrel.

Reactions: bfoosh006
Full stop. I'd still go through the rifle though...

Next...