• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Whats good brass these days?

Blackhawk95

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2008
Mississippi
Hey guys,

I've been out of shooting for a few years now and since I got some guns out to try to sell I kind of got the bug again.

So, my question is What's good brass now days? I generally use Lapua but, I have some rifles that I would have to use Nosler or Norma? or should I look at Rem or Winchester too?

Jerid

Not sure what you mean as far as "good" brass, but as far as consistency and value i'm having great luck with LC mill brass. The stuff is a bitch to size the first time, but i've learned to anneal and use Imperial sizing wax. Once sized LC brass is good stuff. LC seems far more resistant to neck stretching vs softer brass like FC. I'm simply a recreational precision shooter so your needs may be more critical than mine.

Thanks guys. By quality I mean Lapua or similar. Specifically I'm looking for 7saum and .300 rum. Looks like Nosler and Norma make them. Getting them might be another story. I also have a Grendel, 6mmbr and 6.5x47. I always used Lapua there too but I'm curious about the other brands.

I currently have a decent stock of LC 5.56 brass. I can get 1000pcs with ammo cans for$40 buck where I work.

Jerid

Last edited:
In quality I give the edge to Nosler. But I shoot a lot, Lapua has the best balance in quality and durability combined? Maybe I was afraid to shoot my Nosler brass a lot?

I tell ya what the Nosler is expensive..

Yea it is, but you can take it straight out the box and shoot it. Lapua has dented necks, and the case mouth needs to be cleaned up. I'll take new Lapua full length size, trim, chamfer, debur, uniform the primer pockets and clean up the flash hole on the inside the case before I even shoot them if you want the best performance.

Well. Looks like really the only thing that's changed is brass is about 20%+'more expensive and sold out.

Lapua is great brass, but for most steel shooting I prefer RP (remington). The tolerances are not as tight as Lapua, but it lasts longer if you follow a good annealing regiment. You can find once fired here on the hide or various places on the net for a darn good price.

I think I saw a bunch of .308 for sale here-- perfect for what he wants