• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

What's happening (with pics)

coues7

Private
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2007
White Mountains AZ
I am trying to load up some 223 on a dillon 650 and I thought I had adjusted the depriming/resizing die correctly.....I'd like to bump the shoulder back a bit.....this is what's happening.

IMG_5878.jpg

IMG_5879.jpg

Left sized/ middle unsized/ right sized.

Both left and right at the very end of the neck look all stretched or the bottom of neck (near the shoulder) looks bulged.

What the heck is happening?

Re: What's happening (with pics)

Have you tried Dillon's 800 number? They can talk you through just about anything.

Looks like you don't have the die screwed in far enough... the neck portion of the die looks to be only hitting the very end of the case mouth. I'd hazard a guess that if you take a pair of calipers and measure the diameter of the lower third of the case neck, and then measure the same place on the 'sized' cases... you'll find that they aren't sized at all.

Now measure the ID of the 'sized' cases... I'm guessing it'll measure somewhere in the .221-.222 range... i.e. a few thou under bullet size so the brass will grip the bullet when seated.

I could be horribly wrong, but that's sure what it looks like at first glance...

Monte

I agree with memilanuk. Looks like you are not getting the case in to the point where the sholder is getting bumped.

Can you show us a pic of your toolhead with the dies mounted in it? I know that for non-Dillon dies with non-Dillon rings in my 550, I end up having to screw them in pretty darn far. They should be far enough to almost touch the shell plate.

Alternately, if it's something like a Redding Type 'S' F/L bushing die, you may not have the center stem plug screwed in far enough - allowing the bushing to ride up and not size the whole neck.

HTH,

Monte