• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's it Worth? Colt A3 Complete Upper

RoosterShooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2011
Kentucky
This past weekend I traded for a new Complete Colt A3 Upper. The guy that I got it from took off the original front sight post and put a YHM Picatinny gas block on. Removed the standard black hand guard and replaced it with a Magpul MOE black handguard, and finally, replaced the original Colt BCG with a Young Manufacturing NM BCG.

So, to clarify the specs are as follows, and all are new/unfired ....

- Pre-Ban

- Colt A3 Flat Top upper

- Young Manufacturing NM BCG

- Colt 1/7 Gov't Profile Chrome Lined - 16" Barrel

- Magpul MOE Handguard

- Yankee Hill Machine Front Gas Block

WHat's it worth in fair market value?

Re: What's it Worth? Colt A3 Complete Upper

No opinions? I'm sure someone here would know a ballpark of what it might be worth.

The guy had 10 of these, and I got two,for a deal, on trade. I'm just curious to know if these are still in demand or if I should put them back in the safe.

Any input would be appreciated.

Probably around $700. That bolt is pretty expensive. Colt uppers by themselves aren't particularly rare so its not like you have a one of a kind item. But if I were to buy a BCM complete upper like how yours is configured it would be around $440. Add 235 for the BCG and you're at $675 for a BCM+MOE+Young BCG...brand new, retail. You didn't say whether or not these were new

Add in you could talk it up by saying its Colt, $700. IMO. I wouldn't pay more than that. But as is often said, things are worth what people will pay, so...

I once saw a Bushmaster shit stick with crap glass, crap bipod and crap handguards and the local shop wanted almost 3k for it during the 2008 scare. I knew better, but I bet they sold it some sucker

Rereading and I see the preban note. I'm not sure what value that adds to people in states that's relevant to

Just looking around some more
http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/CO6920CK.aspx

Now, the BUIS on that upper is around $90 and also comes with a BCG and CH. I cant find a Colt for sale, but Noveskes run $150 and LMT runs 135. So the average there is 143. So if you subtract that from 725, you get $493. Add back in your fancy BCG @ 235 and you're @ $728. And again thats brand new paying retail for all the parts. The MOE handguard is only around $20

So IMO $750 is as absolutely high as you can go, or...that's as high as I would even consider it. And even then I'd be leery to buy because if I'm buying from a person, I have no assurances that the barrel is actually new. Where as from DSG where I shop for almost every part, I know that's new.

That's kind of what I was thinking as far as value.

I've looked around and parted it out, like you did, and came up with a similar price.

I think I did pretty good.

This guy had 10 of them and they were all new / never fired. The barrels still had a coating of storage grease or machining grease in them, and he stated that I would need to clean it well before shooting.

Thanks for the input.

Keep in mind that "Pre-Ban" is irrelevant for uppers.