• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's it worth in ammo?

bkglock

Field Marshal
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2002
USA
Here's the situation, I thought this would be a good discussion.
Every spring I hire a guy to do a spring cleanup of my yard, rake the lawn, clean out flower beds etc. The normal charge is $100. I have known this guy for 20 years, he does great work.
He brought up doing the work for ammo instead of money. So how much 9mm ammo is this worth?
I was thinking 4 / 50 rnd. boxes of Federal 115 fmj. Is that reasonable?

Here's the situation, I thought this would be a good discussion.
Every spring I hire a guy to do a spring cleanup of my yard, rake the lawn, clean out flower beds etc. The normal charge is $100. I have known this guy for 20 years, he does great work.
He brought up doing the work for ammo instead of money. So how much 9mm ammo is this worth?
I was thinking 4 / 50 rnd. boxes of Federal 115 fmj. Is that reasonable?

A box of 50 is worth $30 at retail today

Four boxes if you feel like leaving a tip

I would say it depends on the relationship and what you paid for the ammo. As mentioned, four boxes of fifty is pretty fair at today’s rates. If you have a decent supply of the normal priced ammo, he does that good of work and you have a good relationship, I would consider a few extra boxes.

^^^ This. He's asking for a commodity that's in short supply but dependable labor is even rarer (at least here). I'd give "pre COVID" rate of exchange.

I would polietly pay him in cash. I wont give anybody reloaded ammo and as far as anyone knows that is all i have. Its a blah blah liability issue, easy cop out....

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Have him fill out a 4473, run a background check, tell him you have to hold for 10 days or indefinitely according to Pelosi. Then offer him the choice of ammo or 75 bucks.

I'd say a good deal for both, 9mm is hard to get at the moment.

Ask him how much ammo he can buy now for $100.
If he says $15 for 50 go buy some.
If he says he can't find it any where, start your negotiations.

Last edited:
Reactions: bkglock
Is he a shooting buddy that youve shot with in the past? If so, then 4 boxes is a good deal for both of you.

If not, then I’d just stick to cash.

I used to work on the Fire Dept. with this guy, I do consider him a friend. I haven't shot with him but I have bought a gun from him many years ago.

If you make a sale, moreover, to your friend or buy from your friend’s hand, you shall not wrong one another. Only you know how deep your pockets are, but I would think 200 rounds would let me sleep at night, if I were in your shoes.

Reactions: 34SF
I have a Lifelong friend from the 1960’s that owns a Lawn Service. Hes been taking care of my yard for over 20 years. I usually pay him $35.00 for a 1.5 hr job. usually
every two weeks during Summer. Does a awesome job , feel totally safe around my goodies if I’m gone etc. Bartering a Post 64 Winchester 30-30 , plain Jane but honest wear , about a 75% rifle. I have 2 other Pre 64 Wins and a Marlin , so I really don’t need it and he will use it and keep it clean. A win win with a friend 🍻

Reactions: Snuby642