• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing What's the best .308 hunting bullet?

Okoyote

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2010
Watertown, SD, USA
Looking for opinions on the best hunting bullet for deer/antelope. I have a new .308 that will be traveling South Dakota this fall and I want to work up some loads. Help me pick my hunting bullet. . I'm leaning towards the berger 155 for it's decent BC and velocity or the hornady amax. Any input is appreciated!

Re: What's the best .308 hunting bullet?

I've never had any trouble with the 165 sierra game kings. I wouldn't claim they're the best, but they are certainly adequate. Also a fan of the Hornady A-max or SST's.

i shot my sd whitetail,mule deer and goat this year with the 150 grn combined tech silvertip and i shot 6 times this year and had 6 critters down. i tried the bergers just have to load past magazine length to get them to shoot. I am just starting to load the 155 amax as i have read they are less finecky when it comes to oal.

I killed 2 deer last year with 150gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips. They both dropped in their tracks.

I used factory ammo with soft points last year!! This year I started reloading and have some ready in 168, 178, and 208 AMax.

I really have had great success out of Barnes XLC's (Which are no longer available but their X-bullets are available as well as other designs. They are penetrators and they stay together instead of turning into many little pieces. They work outstanding at shooting thru shoulders and taking out the heart and lungs at the same time. I believe that shot placement is the critical factor in any bullet though... I think just about any hunting bullet will work if used properly in the right situation and shooting in the right area of the animal you are shooting.. I met a guy that owns/ works in a gun store up in northern Ca and when asked which is his favorite hunting bullet, he pulls out his latest bullet that killed the last kill he did....as it thuds to the counter top........"Scirroco".....he says... He had a pan in the store with all the bullets recovered from recent kills he had done, some still with remnants of blood. He hunts alot all over the world...
Pick your poison, find what works 4 you and make sure you make a good shot, a clean shot...SmokeRolls

Mine seems to like the heavier bullets. I have had good luck with 180 Gr Nosler Accubond, 180 Gr Nosler BT and 185 Gr Berger VLD.

Nosler, TSX/TTSX, AMAX. All work great. Find one that shoots accurately enough for your liking and rock out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the amax grenades....savvy the V-max,,,,thicker jacket</div></div>

Feel free to explore my 2 threads re: hogs to visualize how inappropriate amaxes are for hunting.

I hunt on the high plains of Texas where the distances are long and the wind blows hard most of the time. I've been loading the Hornady SST interlock 150gr. because of its long range trajectory and its ability to cut through the wind. I'm a believer that the proof is in the pudding. So here's a real life story. Last season, I bagged a 350 lb. mule deer with a single shot from 200 yards. The range was not particularly far, but I have also taken a similar sized deer with a .223WSSM and he needed two at 75 yards.

I prefer to use commercial hunting ammo. I don't use enough hunting ammo for its intended purpose to justify the development process.

For deer sized animals the Remington Core-Lokt Express .30-06 150gr loads perform adequately, and some recent experiences with Hornady Custom SST .280/139gr loads have made me a fan.

If you have a shooter along with a small stature and want to use your lightweight rifle without beating them up, the .308 Managed Recoil loads use a 125gr Core-Lokt bullet that shoots to same POI as their 150gr Core-Lokt Express with very manageable recoil, and good performance as long as one uses some judgement and limits the distances to about 150yd and less. I took some .30-'06 apart and they have 36gr of an unidentified stick powder.

Greg

I think the large # of 308 shooters who choose different bullets, just shows that when you get to 30 cal., bullet selection is not as important as when you are using a .223 or 6mm. I shoot some game at ranges beyond 500 yards and so use 168 and 175 SMK quite a bit. Also 165 Game Kings. Once past 300 yards with a .308 Win, bullet proformance is not nearly as critical as placement, as none blow up and few expand much at those lower velocities. A point often overlooked in my opinion, is that animals at longer ranges are not frightened as much by noise and movement, so often do not run as far as they would if shot at 50 yards. This despite the lower bullet energy. JMO

The best one is the one you can reliably put where you aim.

For deer sized animals, the Sierra HPBT 165 grain has proven faultless for a hundred or more deer. Everybody that wants the super penetrating bomb exploding wonderful bullet...maybe the 125 to 200 pound deer have gotten tougher and more bullet proof, but I doubt it. If you are going to shoot hogs, load the 165 Nosler Partition. Otherwise...shoot what works and has worked for for me and my partners for 40 years. JMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the large # of 308 shooters who choose different bullets, just shows that when you get to 30 cal., bullet selection is not as important as when you are using a .223 or 6mm. I shoot some game at ranges beyond 500 yards and so use 168 and 175 SMK quite a bit. Also 165 Game Kings. Once past 300 yards with a .308 Win, bullet proformance is not nearly as critical as placement, as none blow up and few expand much at those lower velocities. A point often overlooked in my opinion, is that animals at longer ranges are not frightened as much by noise and movement, so often do not run as far as they would if shot at 50 yards. This despite the lower bullet energy. JMO </div></div>
Agreed, I have killed seven nice bucks over the years. Three were at killed at 300 yards or better. All of them dropped by the 175 SMK. Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement.

We loaded some A.Max bullets when they first came out. they shot well, but did not expand the best. But they still worked. We stopped using them, but from what I understand Hornady changed the jacket thickness on them.

For 30 caliber rifles We normally shot the 165 grain Sierra or the 165 grain Nosler Ballistic tip. We hunt with the one that is most accurate.

Premium bullets are a complete waste of money in a 30 caliber rifle with a bullet weight of 150 grains or more. Just about any(not FMJ's) 150 grain or larger bullet will easily and effectively kill deer and antelope at long distances. I know a lot of guys spend money on the premium bullets, and if they want to do that, then it is there money. But these bullets do not preform a dimes bit better on deer and antelope. I am sure I will get flamed for saying that, but so what, let the flames begin.

Premium bullets do have a place. But definitely not for deer and antelope. And definitely not in 30 caliber and up. Tom.

While I concur that SMK's are very good at attaining shot placement, I am also mindful of Sierra's own advice that match bullets are unreliable on game, and that they make very effective softpoint SGK which are designed ballistically to be generically interchangeable with their SMK bullets.

The 168SMK corresponds with the 165SGK, and the 175SMK corresponds with the 180SGK. In moments of shortage, I have substituted the SGK bullets in match competition, and can attest to their virtually identical ballistic performance.

In such a light, all I can imagine is that folks shun these SGK's for reasons I have yet to comprehend.

If you're gonna seat something in the case anyway, why <span style="font-style: italic">not</span> use the bullet the designers crafted as a superior terminally performing ballistically identical substitute for the match bullet you're planning to use?

Further, why go through lengthy and costly load development to produce a loading that typically gets less use in a year or two than a single box or Remington Core-Lokt Express. Including sighting both rifles, a single box served both me and my Son-in-Law this entire past season. Core-Lokt Express loads are adequately accurate at reasonable distances, and are available as a regular FBSP or Bonded Softpoint. Unless one is intent on either reinventing the wheel, or going where few have (perhaps wisely) chosen to go before, the needs they won't fill probably don't exist. And lest anyone mistake this for a Remington commercial, I am equally pleased with Winchester and Federal factory hunting loads, and especially so with the Hornady Custom SST line.

IMHO, it's a no-brainer...

Greg

I have had great results with the 180 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip. Expands well at the less-than-blistering speed it's traveling, but the sectional density and mass mean that it still drives through big bones if I need it to. There's not enough velocity to demolish the bullet, so it stays together and penetrates. I have yet to recover one and I have yet to have a deer (mulie or whitetail) move from the spot where I shot it. One of the reasons I love hunting with the 308 i that you don't typically need bonded or homogenous bullets to get good results. Neck shot, head shot, or boiler room, the 180 BT has performed great for me.

Oh, and it groups like a match bullet from my rifle (at least out to 300 yards...haven't shot it past that far), so it inspires confidence and makes ethical shooting easy.

Just $.02 from an FNG.......

Forgive me, I forgot to mention Noslers. They are my choice as an ideal dual purpose bullet, for both target and hunting applications; so long as one selects the correct version for the particular game.

I've been using Hornady 150 gr BTSP's forever in my .308's, 30-06, and 300 Win Mag. They do a great job on antelope and deer.

Try the 155gr Lapua Scenar.....for antelope and deer it will be more than adequate. I've seen a serious amount of big game killed with this bullet from a lot of different .308's and trust me it gets the job done very well!!

Have used 180gr. Gamekings, 168 SMK's, 168gr. TSX's, am currently using 168gr. VLD's with the same result as all of the others. On Missouri Whitetail, not a one ever knew what hit it, as they were all equally dead.

barnes xbullets work magic but mostly i use various weights of nosler ballistic tips for humane kills at short to medium distances...long shot on game means you suck as a hunter in my opinion but if your goin long the noslers wont open so might as well use a smk if thats your hangup.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.long shot on game means you suck as a hunter in my opinion</div></div>

What would you do when culling does on a winter wheat field that is 1/2 mile wide x 1 mile long? The wheat is sprouted and about 6" tall.

OK.....now I know I suck as a hunter. Thats funny stuff right there...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK.....now I know I suck as a hunter. Thats funny stuff right there... </div></div>
You rock.
cheers.gif

Yep, you suck Pat! Now quit posting all those pictures...

Odd place to post an anti long range game shooting statement.

Gamekings in my .308 because of their similarities to the SMK's most every other caliber I choose Barnes for hunting.

wouldnt say "anti" is accurate, im just saying it seems way more sporting to use a traditional rifle at "personal" distances. basically, just because i can shoot moa to 800 or more with a artillary piece-like long range rig, dont mean i should or that its the preferred method. i like shooting long range but have yet to shoot a deer over 200 yards...by choice. im guessin you fellas aint bowhunters.

My preference is the 180 grain SGK. The BC is good enough to reach on out there and they expand reliably. As for the long range hunting thing, well I'm not getting into a debate about the ethics, but the 308 really is not an appropriate caliber for this task. The long range ballistics really fall short.

I agree. I'd consider the 165SGK to be better suited for the .308, and the 180SGK for the .30-'06.

I shoot shorter distances and played with some 125gr Remington Managed Recoil 125gr .30-'06 loads. This Saturday, the same components, except for a 50.0gr load of IMR-4064 (same as my 150gr Garand load, this is still a mild load with a 125r bullet, 1.0gr <span style="font-style: italic">under</span> Hodgdon published minimum) printed well under an inch for three, less than 1/4" vertical on a windy afternoon, off the bench at 80yd in my M70 22" lightweight sporter. I rezeroed for 200yd and assume it'll be within 2-3" high at 100. Shoots flat, and I'm going to try not to turn it into a grenade by not taking shots at well under 100yd. My estimate is it's leaving at somewhere around 3000fps. IMHO, this kind of accuracy is nice, but probably wasted on a hunting rifle in my hands. What I'm looking for here is a flatter trajectory and better terminal performance in the 100-200yd region.

I figure by the time the bullet gets there, it's probably travelling about the same speed it was intended to do in the managed recoil load, only a lot closer. And, the recoil is still quite tolerable for a .30-'06 in a 6 1/2lb rifle.

(I did some additional research concerning a .BC of .267 and a velocity of 3000fps with this bullet and determined it gets to 125yd before it drops down to factory Managed Recoil loads' muzzle velocity, and that with a a 200yd zero, it's less than 1.6" high at 100yd, and less than 3" low at 300yd, less than 5 1/2" low at 400yd, and so on... Flat? Oh, yeah!)

For wooded land and brush country, I use a Win '94AE .44Mag, Dot scope sighted. It's a "Fist of God" in the woods, and very pleasant to carry and shoot.

Greg

scan0022-1.jpg

scan0028.jpg

scan0025.jpg

Been there done that(since I was 15..I'll be 53 in October).....still do it....wait till you see the elk I'm going to kill this fall with my bow...

Respect PGS ~!

Bowhunting is a whole other game itself... I hunt with both rifle and bow, and respect anyone that can take good game with their bow

What sort of distances did you take these animals? 30 yds?

I shoot Barnes in my 6.8, but I have yet to see a need to switch from the 165g Gameking SPs

now, I may want to experiment, but it's also nice to have one gun left alone and always "on"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Respect PGS ~!

Bowhunting is a whole other game itself... I hunt with both rifle and bow, and respect anyone that can take good game with their bow

What sort of distances did you take these animals? 30 yds? </div></div>

The mule deer was 33 yards, the elk was 25, and the bear was 20..spot and stalk on the bear, no bait or tree stand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
(I did some additional research concerning a .BC of .267 and a velocity of 3000fps with this bullet and determined it gets to 125yd before it drops down to factory Managed Recoil loads' muzzle velocity, and that with a a 200yd zero, it's less than 1.6" high at 100yd, and less than 3" low at 300yd, less than 5 1/2" low at 400yd, and so on... Flat? Oh, yeah!)
</div></div>

I have very hard time believing in the above trajectory, especially that it only drops 2.5" from 300y to 400y.

I threw some numbers to JBM, and got 8" of drop at 300y and 25" at 400y.

To me it seems, that you used IPHY (inch per 100y), which is a measurement of angle, not actual drop. Those numbers seem to somewhat match.

I won't say they are "the best", but I have killed quite a few deer and hogs up to 300 pounds with handloaded 165 gr Corelokts.

jthyttin;

You know, you're right. I screwed up. I was reading the MOA column instead of the path column. I let myself get carried away.

Range Speed Energy Drop Path Elevn Windage Time
[yards] [fps] [ft.lb] [inches] [inches] [MOA] [MOA] [sec]
100 2664 1970 2.09 1.71 -1.64 1.03 0.11
200 2349 1531 9.10 0.00 0.00 2.19 0.23
300 2053 1170 22.46 -8.05 2.56 3.51 0.36
400 1777 877 44.11 -24.40 5.83 5.03 0.52

Greg

Barnes TTSX or Nosler Accubonds are my favorite 308 loads.

It is amazing what photo shop can do PGS. LOL..LOL..
Tallking about Long range here is a one shot kill at 1005 two weeks ago...
1005YDSHOT.jpg

Here is our hunting rig......
12WHEELDRIVE.jpg
[/img]

I know they are I was just kidding..LOL..

I use 165 SGK BTHP in all my 30 cals they have not let me down so far. Not saying thier the best its just what ive come to use and respect over the years.

By far the best bullet I've found was the simple Fed Fusion only tried it in 150gr so far. Shot sika and fallow deer between 50 and 250yds. They mushroomed perfect just like on the brochrue and had a retained weight of between 84% and 94%.
Accuracy in the factory fed is a bit touch and go so I switched to either a load of 45gr varget and a 165SST or 44gr N140 and 155gr A-max. These bullets do not perform quite as well but are more accurate. Tried 155gr sierra palma's on fox before. They just pissed through, needed three rounds to put the poor thing down. Amax and sst are perfect for neck shooting, they open quickly.

edi