• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

What's the best factory hunting ammo close to bthp

atxsniper

Private
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2011
Texas
I haven't started reloading yet, I'm currently shooting 308 black hills 175 Gr match bthp. I need to buy a box of hunting ammo, what will have the most similar ballistic characteristics?

Re: What's the best factory hunting ammo close to bthp

I go with "308 black hills 175 Gr match bthp" It's gonna do the job unless you're hunting something BIG like brown bears or moose. If you're talking about hunting in TX the I'd stay with what you know shoots. 175gn smk will kill anything in TX deader then dead

I know the bthp will kill pretty much anything. I plan on shooting hogs though so I could use alittle more penetration. I plan on shooting them out to 500 yards

I've killed a #175 hog at 526yards with a 168gn Amax. He never moved from his tracks. They will do the job.
The problem you will run into is finding 2 loads with the same POA - POI especially at 500 yards.

I know the bthp will kill pretty much anything. I plan on shooting hogs though so I could use alittle more penetration. I plan on shooting them out to 500 yards

Thanks I picked up a box of 168gr amax. Now I just gotta see the difference in poi.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin4590</div><div class="ubbcode-body">175gn SMK will provide the same results. Might take a look that those too </div></div>That bullet is built the same as what he is shooting already, bthp.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redirt78</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin4590</div><div class="ubbcode-body">175gn SMK will provide the same results. Might take a look that those too </div></div>That bullet is built the same as what he is shooting already, bthp. </div></div>
thats my point. They will more then do the job so why change?