• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Whats the best of the cheaper ammunition? Eley Target example

SanPatHogger

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2020
So I want to upgrade my ammunition, but I do not want to spend $18 a box for Tenex.
How many people are shooting Eley Club or target? These can be had for under $7 a box. That is close enough to the $5 I pay for a box of CCI SV at walmart that the $2 is fine... IF IT SHOOTS BETTER. I looked on https://www.rimfirecentral.com/threads/50-at-200.1129343/#post-11073821 and it looks to shoot between CCI SV and Tenex.
So I am wondering how many people are shooting this grade of ammunition? A few guys around me are shooting SK standard plus and SK rifle match, Some think that this ammo is a really good value.... Seems to be close in price, and they are all the round nose bullets.
Thinking maybe just order a brick of Eley Club and if it shoots good I'll buy a bunch, if it doesn't I'll keep looking... What to do...

SK Rifle Match shoots fine in my CZ457, and a lot of our indoor benchrest guys use it too.
Eley Club is good too. Once again, shoots fine in my CZ457. Also RWS Rifle Match isn't too dear for good performance.
The surprise package for me was Hornady Varmint Express. The plain lead, round nose stuff (not the copper colour hollow point).
I'm told it's CCI ammo repackaged as Hornady.
Whatever...it shoots very well and I get tighter groups than the Eley Club.
But we are constrained for ammo here in NZ, so we buy what we can get on the day.
I did get the odd FTF with Club but sorted that with a firing pin mod. Maybe the Eley ammo has a 'harder' case material?
Don't overlook Geco ammo either. Made by RWS (?)
Two types of Geco...'Bolt Action', and 'Semi Auto''.
The Semi Auto does have a louder 'bang' and is rated at a higher fps.
I used the 'Bolt Action' and it was very consistent and shot tightly. I rate it over Eley Club...in my rifle. YMMV.

22lr-geco.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Codiekfx400
Over the last several years I have worked my way up the ammo ladder and right now I mostly shoot CenterX. I'm not saying it is the best value, only that it shoots better than the cheaper flavors most of the time and I can afford it. If I couldn't afford it I would be OK with SK Standard Plus. If I couldn't afford that I'd get a slingshot.

Don't overlook the Eley Outlaw Benchrest semi-auto (I think I got the name right), has a red label and touted for the 10/22 as match quality. It shoots pretty good in a couple turbo's and Vudoo that I know of. The right lot of any ammo is the key.

It's rimfire.
Mass produced cartridges subject to the whimsy of the assembly line lottery.
If it has the word "Match" on the box, it ain't.
If it has "Target" on the box, note there is no mention of the size of the target required
or how close you need to be to guarantee consistent accuracy.
Any rifle can hit a dime, every time, if ya' get close enough.

If results aren't important, then buy the cheapest brand you like.
Simply expect strays and fliers, they won't be your fault. Right? :cool:

Reactions: bohica17
Entry level .22LR match ammo can usually be relied on to have a number of inconsistent rounds in every box, no matter the brand or variety. Like all match ammo, performance will vary by lot.

It's rimfire.
Mass produced cartridges subject to the whimsy of the assembly line lottery.
If it has "Target" on the box, note there is no mention of the size of the target required
or how close you need to be to guarantee consistent accuracy.
Any rifle can hit a dime, every time, if ya' get close enough.

If results aren't important, then buy the cheapest brand you like.
Simply expect strays and fliers, they won't be your fault. Right? :cool:
I'd say that's true for the most part,but I think Eley Black Box Match IS match ammo.

According to Eley, Tenex is the "Match" ammo.
Black box is the lot that wasn't good enough to be Tenex.

I no longer trust factory lot grading.
After reading about statistical sampling and quality control,
it looks like my thoughts about the rimfire assembly line lottery
are more realistic than my original wise-ass comment intended. ;)

I no longer trust factory lot grading.
After reading about statistical sampling and quality control,
it looks like my thoughts about the rimfire assembly line lottery
are more realistic than my original wise-ass comment intended. ;)
I agree,match ammo is where you find it but to say any ammo labeled match isn't match grade is incorrect.

If it has "Match" on the box, it ain't.

Automatch
Rifle Match
Pistol Match
Match Target
Match Extra
Long Range Match
Match SemiAuto
Eley Match

Yes, Eley Match.... it's not my fault that Eley screwed up the lot grading.
They put Tenex on the box that shoulda been Match, and Match on the box that shoulda been Tenex.
Damn assembly line lottery. :(

Automatch
Rifle Match
Pistol Match
Match Target
Match Extra
Long Range Match
Match SemiAuto
Eley Match

They put Tenex on the box that shoulda been Match, and Match on the box that shoulda been Tenex.
Damn assembly line lottery. :(
Funny thing is I agree with your testing protocol. I guess we're just disagreeing on semantics. Black box,Tenex, Center X ,Midas + et al are all match grade ammos but it still comes down to lot testing. In years past Eley black box was the predominant ammo in ARA, lately Center X and now maybe back to Eley again. Maybe I'm misremembering but I read an article in the old Precision Shooting magazine that Larry Brown switched from 22rf to air rifle in BR 50 because the guns were better than the ammo. Anyway I do appreciate all the work that you've done testing 22rf ammo!

I think SK is the best value out there. Lots of 4 one hole groups but that 5th one always goes astray... (or is it me? No way)
I agree. SK Match is the best buy out there for decent shooting ammo. As far as group size at 200yds it will stay with Eley BB and Lapua CenterX "In my guns". More flyers than Eley or Lapua but they're easily detected , as some will be a moa out or more. Still good ammo for the money!

Last edited:
Yeah 25ring, precision air rifles are my latest reading topic.
My nephew captured my AirKing 54 springer, so I've been researching a replacement.
No idea what caliber yet, but the mechanics are more complicated than the springer.
Methods of pressure regulation and quality of the projectiles
looks to be the areas that need the most attention.
I'm looking for a small game air rifle that will function well at the range punching paper.

Yeah 25ring, precision air rifles are my latest reading topic.
My nephew captured my AirKing 54 springer, so I've been researching a replacement.
No idea what caliber yet, but the mechanics are more complicated than the springer.
Methods of pressure regulation and quality of the projectiles
looks to be the areas that need the most attention.
I'm looking for a small game air rifle that will function well at the range punching paper.
Yeah I'm afraid to get too invested in air gun. I've got enough in rimfire. So far a couple of TX200 springers, a C60 and 300 Feinwerkbau and a Tau 7 are about as much as I'm willing to do. I'd be in trouble getting into the pressurized air world!

Eley Match

You're too dogmatic.

Eley Match ammo is .22LR "match ammo". It's produced on the same production run as is Tenex. However Eley does it, they grade the output of a run into three varieties -- Tenex, Match, and Team. All are "match ammo" regardless of how they perform. Some lots of "match ammo" suck, and that's a good reason to avoid buying randomly.

If performance were the only criteria to determine what's a "match ammo" then not all lots of Tenex are match ammo. At the same time, some lots of Eley Match that outperform some lots of Tenex must by virtue of performance-only criteria be "match ammo". The same is true for Eley Team.

Lapua also produces its "match ammo" in the same production run. One run produces various amounts and numbers of lots of X-Act, Midas +, and Center X. Just as some lots of Tenex are outperformed by other Eley match ammo varieties, so too are some lots of X-Act outperformed by M+ and CX. Just as Tenex is not the only Eley "match ammo," X-Act is not the only Lapua "match ammo".

Reactions: Cowpokey
So I want to upgrade my ammunition, but I do not want to spend $18 a box for Tenex.
How many people are shooting Eley Club or target? These can be had for under $7 a box. That is close enough to the $5 I pay for a box of CCI SV at walmart that the $2 is fine... IF IT SHOOTS BETTER. I looked on https://www.rimfirecentral.com/threads/50-at-200.1129343/#post-11073821 and it looks to shoot between CCI SV and Tenex.
So I am wondering how many people are shooting this grade of ammunition? A few guys around me are shooting SK standard plus and SK rifle match, Some think that this ammo is a really good value.... Seems to be close in price, and they are all the round nose bullets.
Thinking maybe just order a brick of Eley Club and if it shoots good I'll buy a bunch, if it doesn't I'll keep looking... What to do...
I shoot Eley Contact for my low end ammo. It is $5.25 a box from Killough $ 5.00 if you get a case and free shipping. It shoots way better than CCI SV. I like Eley Club for a better ammo. SK Long range is my go to match ammo.

I shoot Eley Contact for my low end ammo. It is $5.25 a box from Killough $ 5.00 if you get a case and free shipping. It shoots way better than CCI SV. I like Eley Club for a better ammo. SK Long range is my go to match ammo.
I've inquired about Eley Contact over the years, and never get a response. I've been wanting to try it, and you may have just convinced me to grab some. (y)

I've tried Eley black box Match in one of my V22 repeaters at 200yds, during a session at 200 where I was also shooting Lapua Center-X (lot tested at Lapua in Mesa) and SK Rifle Match (lot tested here at home). Center-X was definitely better than SK Rifle Match at 200, but the Eley Match was considerably better than Center-X when I could get the EPS-flatnose rounds to feed without buggering up the bullet noses... I suppose I should call Vudoo and ask about the modified magazine followers I've heard they made to work better with EPS ammo - if it turned out well enough where I could get a couple of mags converted to be smooth & reliable with Eley Match, why not shoot it in a couple of matches and see how it works?

You can win NRL 22 match with just about any subsonic match ammo.

PRS22 going out past 200, sk std+ is as cheap as I will go. You can win with it but it's going to take a bit more work. At 7.50 a box, it's reasonable. I have moved to sk rifle match at 9.50 a box. It's the same ammo just shoots a bit tighter and better sd/es.

Obviously your gun needs to shoot it decent but they are good starting points. To do better imo, you need to step up into centerx or tennex which is about twice the cost.

I've tried Eley black box Match in one of my V22 repeaters at 200yds, during a session at 200 where I was also shooting Lapua Center-X (lot tested at Lapua in Mesa) and SK Rifle Match (lot tested here at home). Center-X was definitely better than SK Rifle Match at 200, but the Eley Match was considerably better than Center-X when I could get the EPS-flatnose rounds to feed without buggering up the bullet noses... I suppose I should call Vudoo and ask about the modified magazine followers I've heard they made to work better with EPS ammo - if it turned out well enough where I could get a couple of mags converted to be smooth & reliable with Eley Match, why not shoot it in a couple of matches and see how it works?
Vudoo has a video on modifying mags for Flat Nose Ammo Mod.

snb club 22lr I got better numbers from that cheap stuff than I did center x easier to get and 1/2 the price it even shot better than my sk match .
1679175861724.jpeg

was it just cause it was my gun could not say but I am glad we tried it .

Last edited:
Don't overlook the Eley Outlaw Benchrest semi-auto (I think I got the name right), has a red label and touted for the 10/22 as match quality. It shoots pretty good in a couple turbo's and Vudoo that I know of. The right lot of any ammo is the key.
A couple of years ago Killoughs had this ammo for $4.25 a box. I wish I'd have bought a lot more than I did,it shoots way above it's price point.

Eley Benchrest Outlaw, the initial shipment, shot way above it's price point.
So much so, that the first reports of how good it did, emptied Killoughs supply overnight.

• Haha
Reactions: Turbo2
Eley Benchrest Outlaw, the initial shipment, shot way above it's price point.
So much so, that the first reports of how good it did, emptied Killoughs supply overnight.
Don't I know it! Occasionally I'd find a round or two that had a extra gob of lead on the bullet so that it couldn't be chambered. I wish all RF ammo was so easy to cull.

You can win NRL 22 match with just about any subsonic match ammo.

PRS22 going out past 200, sk std+ is as cheap as I will go. You can win with it but it's going to take a bit more work. At 7.50 a box, it's reasonable. I have moved to sk rifle match at 9.50 a box. It's the same ammo just shoots a bit tighter and better sd/es.

Obviously your gun needs to shoot it decent but they are good starting points. To do better imo, you need to step up into centerx or tennex which is about twice the cost.
I just looked up the NRL22 course of fire. Looks to be fairly close range and generous sized targets.
Besides the KYL I think I could clear the other stages. "if I do my part"

I've inquired about Eley Contact over the years, and never get a response. I've been wanting to try it, and you may have just convinced me to grab some. (y)
A friend of mine shoots Contact. He gave me a box to try. I was shooting my T1X at 200yds at 2" sq steel knockdown. It took a few rounds to get it dialed in, then I hit 6 targets in a row. Contact will have fliers, but runs great in my Tikka T1X and my Bergara B14R's. It is great practice ammo.

Reactions: Potsy and Cowpokey
I just looked up the NRL22 course of fire. Looks to be fairly close range and generous sized targets.
It is. I stopped shooting them because it was an easy win and not that challenging. It's more geared for newer shooters. PRS22 has much better quality of comp and will make you a better shooter imo, especially pushing the 22lr past 200 which is like never with nrl22 unless you shoot 22x.

Geco semi auto and Norma tac are cheap and decent shooting.

My wife just ordered a Brick of Sellier and Bellot and a brick of Eley benchrest outlaw.
I'll give these a shot and then next month I'll try Eley club and contact or some other combination.
$70 and $90 with shipping. I wish someplace local had it on the shelf.
Thanks for the replies. Keep it going. Seems to be a never ending journey trying to find a pile of good stuff.

Reactions: camocorvette
There was a recent stage with a 2 inch target at 90 yards (+/-). I test 22 ammo through my RimX at 100 yard (they all shoot good at 25/50 yards. The 22 ammo that will keep 10 out of 10 rounds within 2 inches will cull out your ammo choices quick. A few will shoot 6 in 1 inch but then flyer outside of 2 inch. For me - SK Rifle Match, LR Match plus Eley Team, Match are only ones to consistently keep 10/10 within 2 inches at 100 yards.

snb club 22lr I got better numbers from that cheap stuff than I did center x easier to get and 1/2 the price it even shot better than my sk match .
View attachment 8099566

was it just cause it was my gun could not say but I am glad we tried it .
I've got a lot of that, that shoots the same as eley match and sk biathlon at 400 yards through my Annie. Best part is I got it when it was 3.99 a box. I should have bought 100,000 rounds.
I will say that I have more failure to extract in extreme cold 20° and below with the S&B.

Club is normally the cheapest I'll shoot. For matches it's eley match, sk red box or center x. Just depends on what lot shoots the best with least amount of fliers.

I've got a lot of that, that shoots the same as eley match and sk biathlon at 400 yards through my Annie. Best part is I got it when it was 3.99 a box. I should have bought 100,000 rounds.
I will say that I have more failure to extract in extreme cold 20° and below with the S&B.

Club is normally the cheapest I'll shoot. For matches it's eley match, sk red box or center x. Just depends on what lot shoots the best with least amount of fliers.
Eley Match is the best I've shot out of my CZ so far. I hope my gun likes the S&B it as much as yours.

@SanPatHogger and it sucks its so different lot to lot. The first time I bought a brick of s&b it was so so. This last lot is lights out accurate.
How many rounds of it have you shot? I've read it could take quite a few rounds for a barrel to be "seasoned" with a certain ammo. But I've found 10 or so rounds gets back to shooting zero after being cold and 50 or so to really tighten up after cleaning.

• Haha
I went through a 500 round brick last year in spring. In between that thousands of rounds of club, red box eley target, eley match and some others.
I only shoot lead with wax. So yeah about 5-10 rounds with a new ammo and it's settled into what to expect from that lot.
I think I have another 2000 or so of the s&b. Shot about 250 of the current lot.

Everyone will have a breaking point when it comes to price. For me, $10 per box is it. In this price range, SK pistol match special is good enough for me. Actually any of the SK line would do, I just happen to get pistol match special and it does the job so I am sticking with it. Today I was at the range and was surprised how well Norma tac 22 did for me. Dial my dope and hit steel at 200 yards right off. I personally am not good enough to exploit the better quality of center x tenex or x act. So for me I am sticking with sub $10 per box ammo. As my skills improve, it may change, but I suspect that is a long way off

S&B showed up yasterday. I cleaned the gun really good Saturday so it took a few grooups to move the POI and tighten up some. These are all at 50 yards. Maybe slightly better than CCI SV. A couple pretty crappy groups but a couple OK groups too. I'll shoot it at 100 tonight and see if it tightens up anymore.

0.jpg
IMG_2384.jpg

• Wow
S&B shows some serious variation in cartridge quality.
A visual inspection indicates careless handing of components
and sloppy tolerances during assembly at the factory.
There's a reason it has the lower cost per cartridge.
Rifles don't like poorly made ammunition, or hefty velocity differences.

Eley target is costing me about $7 on average. Shoots clovers out of the CZ 457, but that gun shoots everything else like a shot gun blast at 50 yards..

I have one brick of the benchrest semi-auto. Shoots so so in bolt guns I have. It makes my Remington 522 speedmaster accurate.

The S&B is ammo you won't feel bad shooting for practice at all.

Eley semi auto outlaw ran pretty good this morning. 50 yards shot pretty nice. 100 opened up a bit.
Now I have a little problem, GeoBallistics does not list this ammo. So I found some number online and tried to enter it myself.
Zero at 50 and my hold at 100 ended up being 1.2 mil or something like that. That number would make the velocity look crazy high on the calculator. I'll shoot it again tonight and stretch it out and log some numbers.
Anybody have numbers to plug into the calculator?

This was the second group at 50 yards. 10 shots
1680392866780.jpeg

This was the second group at 100 yards. 10 shots
1680392952311.jpeg

Hey....hang on there a second....I recognize that target! :oops:

That's the jbell special. 50 and 100 yard moa rings. ;)

I know better than to reply, but the only cheap ammo I keep on hand is CCI SV. It is what it is on certain days, don't try to shoot small.
I have or had 3 rifles to get shooting, bought over 1K of ammo, sk red, sk hv, sk+, eley team, one more. 2 bricks of each in case it worked, limited use rifles. I swear, I have never had SK rifle match, or SK HV work in anything I own.
Eley Team has potential though, but did not want 12.00 per box ammo.
I loathe testing ammo, and bet I shot 100 groups at 50 yards on Thursday. Like clockwork for me, shoot cheaper ammo until you are fed up, grab some Center X and have a suitable ammo in 10 minutes.

Reactions: nikonNUT