• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's the best performing 223 AR load/bullet if you had to choose one?

AMMOWASTER

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2007
Reno, NV
If you had to pick one load for general shooting target and possibly defense what would it be. Seems like a 75 or 77 grain load of some type is the most common choice. I still have a bunch of 77 Noslers I bought cheap so that's what I will probably start with. I know there's some newer bullets that people are using but they are usually a bit more spendy.

So what are you guys using? I might shoot an occasional match but not really a big thing for me. For me once I find a good load I'll just load a pile of it. Not looking for something on the edge just a good all around performer for multiple AR mag fed guns. Think everything I have is 1/7 or 1/8 at this point.

At a little shooting class this weekend, I was shooting a load with N540 and the 77 Noslers. We shot steel from 100 out to 800 yards, out of my 22" 1:7 twist bolt gun, and the instructor commented on how well they were shooting.

I've never hunted with them but have read a few reports of them working well.

Reactions: Near miss
Its pretty hard to beat the 75gr / 77gr class of bullets for reloading.

Noslers, SMK,and the Horn 75gr are inexpensive enough, and can be made to shoot very well.

Terminally, all those perform quite well against "soft" targets.
But, They all do pretty poorly against hard targets.... a Bonded bullet ( Speer GD's ) would be a good choice for Blind Barrier performance.

Most barrels with that twist will shoot a 77 SMK well just need to find the recipe yours likes. If you have a bunch already then it’s worth the load development rather than buying more. Alternatively the Bergers at least for me seem to outshoot sierras but again they are going to cost you more.

In regard to defense- I believe black hills uses SMk’s now & used nosler in the past so that bullet should be good to go & give someone on the other end a bad day.

Last edited:
I've never considered condensing to just one load. I have match rifles, long range rifles, HD rifles, critter rifles and general purpose rifles. They all have a different role and there's only so much overlap in bullet design, I can't think of a bullet that would be ideal across the board.

What Tony said.

But if forced to have only one load, it would be a 69 or 77gr SMK, TMK or 75 Hornady. (The 69 TMK has been very accurate for me with 8208, VV-N540 & AR Comp. )

SMK's are almost never not accurate; the Hornady can be very good or just MEH in some guns.

Heavy bullets will do all that lighter bullets will do, but not the reverse.................but the lighter bullets cost less & in a situation where you might want the absolute lightest recoil or reduced loads, the lighter bullets will have an edge.

MM

I chose the RMR 75 BTHP based on testing in my 16", 20" and 26" barrels. 1/7 except the 26" which is 1/8.

2nd choice would be the RMR 69 BTHP.

I've never considered condensing to just one load. I have match rifles, long range rifles, HD rifles, critter rifles and general purpose rifles. They all have a different role and there's only so much overlap in bullet design, I can't think of a bullet that would be ideal across the board.
I understand the sentiment but I'm just not shooting near as much anymore and when I do it's rarely in an organized match so all I'm looking for is the ability to find a good load that works well in a few guns.

I'm running StaBall Match, Lake City Brass, CCI primers, and 77 SMKs to 870 consistently with my Mk12 mod 0. My buddy is doing the same with 77 Noslers.

Reactions: simonp
What Tony said.

But if forced to have only one load, it would be a 69 or 77gr SMK, TMK or 75 Hornady. (The 69 TMK has been very accurate for me with 8208, VV-N540 & AR Comp. )

SMK's are almost never not accurate; the Hornady can be very good or just MEH in some guns.

Heavy bullets will do all that lighter bullets will do, but not the reverse.................but the lighter bullets cost less & in a situation where you might want the absolute lightest recoil or reduced loads, the lighter bullets will have an edge.

MM
This. If I had to pick one for everything, it would be a 75gr Hornady eldm or a smk 77. I shoot the 75gr Hornady in my bolt gun (7.5tw) and it's ridiculously accurate. I shoot the 77gr smk In my ARs and they are very accurate also across the different AR platforms I have which are 8tw

All of Alliant powders have gone way up close to $50/lb. I changed a bunch of loads over to AA2520.

OP, Which cost less, 62 Gold dots, 69SMKs, 75 Hornadys(hpbt), 77smks?
Yeah I’ve been experimenting and trying to develop new loads with Hodgdon and shooters world, the latter was available for a moment during the covid and then vanished again :-/

I understand the sentiment but I'm just not shooting near as much anymore and when I do it's rarely in an organized match so all I'm looking for is the ability to find a good load that works well in a few guns.
If I was after one bullet with the highest likelihood of shooting great in multiple guns it would be the 77SMK, probably with 8208 if I ever found it again. But my experience with their terminal effects has been hit and miss.
I've heard great things about the 77TMK on big critters, but my accuracy with them has only been okay, not great. Don't discount light match bullets either, they can be very accurate, fragment violently and are effective to a lot further out than people give them credit for.

I've had the best of luck with Nosler Custom Match Grade 77gr. I'd go with that. Surprisingly I've had little to no luck with any variant of SMK's including the Mk262 round.

I've had the best of luck with Nosler Custom Match Grade 77gr. I'd go with that. Surprisingly I've had little to no luck with any variant of SMK's including the Mk262 round.
I think there is some info out there showing better soft target performance with the Noslers vs the SMK, for what that is worth

If I was after one bullet with the highest likelihood of shooting great in multiple guns it would be the 77SMK, probably with 8208 if I ever found it again. But my experience with their terminal effects has been hit and miss.
I've heard great things about the 77TMK on big critters, but my accuracy with them has only been okay, not great. Don't discount light match bullets either, they can be very accurate, fragment violently and are effective to a lot further out than people give them credit for.
I agree with the above to a large degree. The 77 SMK shoots great with Varget or N140 in my guns. The surprise load in my guns though with 1:7 barrels has been the 53 Vmax over N133. Very accurate out to 600 yards. I had 2/2 hits on a 6 inch plate at 600 yards and then shot this group at 600 yards last weekend. LMT MRP CQB with 3.5X TA11 Acog and 16 inch chrome lined barrel.

FFC15FCE-1D97-461A-847C-DB0412FBD8FC.jpeg

2B08679D-B915-4054-A567-D3A3BBA62678.jpeg

77gr SMK
Starline Brass
CCI BR4
23.5grs Ramshot Tac

Shoots 1/2 MOA or better in any of my CLE Bartlein Barrels with 1-7.7 twist and CLE Match Chamber.
This is my same load for my ar's. It's a good one. I like tac a lot and I have shot it for a while so I stocked up and have a bunch of it

I bought a 250 count box of the 77 grain Noslers with a cannelure and they're not very consistent from a length standpoint. Makes loading to mag length a bit trying if not impossible. Length varied more than a hundredth. Ordered Bergers and they are much more consistent and my group size and SD shrank considerably as a result. I've not tried the Noslers without the cannelure.

Reactions: bobke
I haven’t put enough 77’s through enough of my AR’s to give a fair assessment. However, the rifles I have used 77’s with have performed very well.

Just from that experience, I’d be inclined to believe that I could make 77’s work in all of my AR’s, but if I had to try to find one bullet that I knew would most definitely work in all of them, I’d say the 69gr SMK with either XBR8208 or the mainstay- Varget.

With components and prices like they are 77gr smk and Ramshot TAC now.

77 smk
TAC 24.2gr
Win brass
Cci 400

77 smk
TAC 24.4 gr
LC brass
Cci 41

77 gr smk
xbr8208 23.8 gr
Win brass
Cci 400

77gr TMK or SMK over 23.6gr of 8208 is my go-to load for every 5.56 rifle I own. I socked away 16lbs of 8208 pre-COVID and still have 13+ pounds left as I only us it for 5.56 and 6.5G, saving cheaper, but less temp stable, powders for 308 and other cartridges that like to guzzle powder.

@NHPiper what charge weight of StaBALL Match did you settle on for the 77gr SMK? I use 6.5 StaBALL for 6.5C but have been reading good things about the Match variant in 5.56 and a few other calibers and might place a big order next time I see a bunch in stock somewhere.

69 SMK and H4895 have been incredibly easy and reliable. across AR and bolt guns both for decades. Stable reliable , that’s my choice.

Having accurate consistent rifles, a 77 SMK, 77 Nosler, 75 Hornady HPBT, or a Berger 73/77 HPBT will shoot great. As mentioned by others, Varget, Reloder15, 8208, or even 2520 shoot good with the above listed bullets. Every time I thought "I got it" the other combinations shot great too.

Even though I have a good stash of Varget, Reloder15, and 8208 I have looked for other powders to try. Since I have AA2520 for my Grendel's I tried it in 223 and what do you know, the rifles like it. Same situation for bullets. 77 SMK's and Noslers are expensive compared to 75 HPBT Hornady's and until recently 73 HPBT Berger's were not to be found. So I spent a little time with the 75 Hornady and they shoot good enough to at least 300 yards for me to not be embarrassed.

I stocked up on Black Hills 77gr TMK. 3/4”-1 1/4” groups in most of my rifles. With its low velocity fragmentation threshold and high BC, it is a phenomenal SBR or 14.5”-16” cartridge. And the results I’ve seen from hunters is very reassuring. The terminal performance also seems great for home defense with no over-penetration through tissue.

Only one functional downside is that it is not a bullet to use through a barrier like a car

Logistical downside is the difficulty in sourcing them. I need to switch to 77 SMK for most distance training.

I really wish Black Hills would start loading those cartridges again. Every time I need to re-zero a rifle or confirm DOPE, I shutter… pulling rounds from my stock. As soon as some of the TMK bullets come available again, I’m going to work up a similar load to have an interchangeable cartridge to go forward with.

Reactions: Chicory01
I'm a fan of the bulk 62 grain spire points and 62 grain BTHP's from midsouth for a general-purpose bullet with killing properties. Most suitable powders will allow you to load to a velocity that will still guarantee expansion even out of shorter barrel lengths.

I like the 69 grain TMK too, but availability and twice the cost of the above keep those shelved for special purposes rather than general.

For a more generic response: “the heaviest (longest) bullet my barrel will stabilize”

I prefer 1:7 and 1:8 twist for .223/.223 Wylde/5.56mm chamberings, and love 75-77gr TAP loads for a do everything round to stock up for the apocalypse.

I stocked up on Black Hills 77gr TMK. 3/4”-1 1/4” groups in most of my rifles. With its low velocity fragmentation threshold and high BC, it is a phenomenal SBR or 14.5”-16” cartridge. And the results I’ve seen from hunters is very reassuring. The terminal performance also seems great for home defense with no over-penetration through tissue.

Only one functional downside is that it is not a bullet to use through a barrier like a car

Logistical downside is the difficulty in sourcing them. I need to switch to 77 SMK for most distance training.

I really wish Black Hills would start loading those cartridges again. Every time I need to re-zero a rifle or confirm DOPE, I shutter… pulling rounds from my stock. As soon as some of the TMK bullets come available again, I’m going to work up a similar load to have an interchangeable cartridge to go forward with.

What kind if velocity are you getting out of your barrels with the BH 77 TMK?

What kind if velocity are you getting out of your barrels with the BH 77 TMK?
2540 out of a 12.5” Criterion Hybrid.

A staggering 2647 out of a 14” Black River Tactical Optimum. But that one couldn’t really get lower than 1.5 MOA.

I’ll have to check my log books for my 20” WOA SDM-R barrel.

I’ll be getting velocities for an 11.5” Criterion Core and 14.5” Rainier Mountain Mod2 soon.

2540 out of a 12.5” Criterion Hybrid.

A staggering 2647 out of a 14” Black River Tactical Optimum. But that one couldn’t really get lower than 1.5 MOA.

I’ll have to check my log books for my 20” WOA SDM-R barrel.

I’ll be getting velocities for an 11.5” Criterion Core and 14.5” Rainier Mountain Mod2 soon.
2647 out of a 14" is fantastic! I'd be interested to hear the WOA numbers as I have the same barrel.

I've had good luck with Berger 73 and 80.5 bullets along with Sierra 77's.

There are so many good/great loads from a 223/5.56 AR that choosing one is pretty tough for me.

At the moment, I load 2 different rounds for my AR that just flat out shoot when I want them to. First being a 77gr Berger with 22 grains of Benchmark or 24.6 grains of N140. Next would be a 53gr Vmax with 26 grains of Benchmark or 26.5 grains of 748. The 53gr Vmax is by far the most accurate bullet I shoot from an AR. It will almost always be better then .5’s and I have shot quite a few .3’s when it all lines up correctly. For me, that’s all the accuracy I will ever need from a gasser.

I have a pet load for 1 of my 20" ar's that uses 77gr smks. I'm going to try so.e of those rmr 75gr hpbt and see how they do.

2647 out of a 14" is fantastic! I'd be interested to hear the WOA numbers as I have the same barrel.
Apparently I only recorded the Creedmoor Sports loaded 77gr TMK (which they don’t load anymore).

But the Creedmoor 77 TMK load averaged 2750 fps, which is what Black Hills rates their Mk262 Mod 1 and 77gr TMK.

However, Mk262 Mod 1 in my 20” WOA barrel measured 2806 fps.

69 SMK and H4895 have been incredibly easy and reliable. across AR and bolt guns both for decades. Stable reliable , that’s my choice.
Another thumbs up for the 69gr SMK out to 600 yards. I use 8208 in my goto load.

For precision, it’s hard to beat 69gr SMK. Might just be one of the easiest .223/5.56 bullets to load for good group sizes.

75 BTHPs kill much better than any of the 77 SMK loads I’ve tried. They shoot just as well too. I’ll stick with the 75 BTHP over the SMK, however the 77 TMK kills equally as well as the 75 BTHP in my experiment. However they’re harder to find.

Reactions: 91Eunozs
Am I reading this right? A guy with the name "Ammowaster" is fretting about expensive bullets?
I am cheap. More the older I get. I haven't been shooting much at all so mostly I'm looking for volume ammo I can stock up. If I start shooting seriously I will consider some premium bullets.