• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors What's the best silencer for this setup?

ZLBubba

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2009
Maryland
I've got a threaded M2008 AICS build in 308 that I want to put a can on. Since this is my first, and likely only, silencer for quite a while, I'd also like to fit it to my AR-15 from time to time. I've been looking at the AAC Cyclone and the 762SD.

I'd like the can to be rated up to 300WM if I do indeed go with one at some point, but it will mainly be used on my 308 and my AR. Should I definitely go with a QD? I was just thinking I'd go the screw on route since I've heard the POI shift is less with the screw on model. Will the Cyclone or the 762SD fill those requirements ok? Are there any other cans that you would suggest?

Re: What's the best silencer for this setup?

If only one can, and used on an AR, you're going to want to spend a little more and get a TI can.

The Gemtech Sandstorm is the lightest magnum rated one I've seen and for just over $1k is a fairly good deal.

Reading between the lines at the Gemtech website I got the feeling there were not recommending ot for semi-auto, unless fired slowly..........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DustyJacket</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Reading between the lines at the Gemtech website I got the feeling there were not recommending ot for semi-auto, unless fired slowly.......... </div></div>

Where'd you see that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gemtech Website</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Answering the call for the lightest, shortest 7.62 suppressor available, the Gemtech SANDSTORM brings high performance in an extremely compact and lightweight package. With no compromise made in any design parameter, its titanium construction is stronger than steel, trimmed and tuned until no excess remains. Lighter weight translates into lessened point of impact shift, less harmonic disturbance to the barrel, and the titanium allows for faster cooling of the system - all making for a very accurate weapon light enough to pack with you through the longest trek. Premium sonic reduction is achieved even with forgiving baffle apertures (no extra tight "cheater" exit hole that can lead to dangerous baffle strikes). An all new baffle design gives better accuracy while still aggressively muting sound and flash signature. Thread mounting to fit .308 or like-caliber bolt action or semi-auto precision rifles in either U.S. standard threading of 5/8-24, or for the Accuracy International rifles in 18x1.5M threading.</div></div>

if your AR is in 5.56 you will have to get a new barrel to accept the threading of a 5/8-24 threading that is most popular on 30 cal cans. That cuts out the Sandstorm and Cyclone. If you want versatility between 3 calibers being 5.56, 7.62, and 300WM then you should look at Yankee HIll Machine's 338 QD Phantom. Its rated for and up to 338LM. You can still shoot 308 and 223 out of it and be fine.

Or you can go the route of YHM QD 7.62 Phantom. it will handle a 300WM...

The Yankee Hill can is crazy heavy. I held the 338 Lapua can at SHOT show and it felt like it weighed 30oz. That's becasue it weighs 33 oz. even their 762 SS Phantom weighs 28oz

A 28oz can is probably inappropriate for an AR-15.

So, that leaves the new AAC 300-SD and its 90 tooth mount.

It Weighs 13.9oz so it is lighter than most 5.56mm cans and it is rated for a 300WM chambering.
The cost is $1,800.00 plus $300.00 per mount so its on the expensive side of expensive.

Now you will have to have your AR barrel re-threaded to accept the .30cal mount.

19479_263844088698_595683698_3182263_7858617_n.jpg

19479_263814093698_595683698_3182181_6193377_n.jpg

As they say a Dollar don't go as far as it did!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if your AR is in 5.56 you will have to get a new barrel to accept the threading of a 5/8-24 threading that is most popular on 30 cal cans. </div></div>

Or spend a whopping $30-$40 on an adapter.

I don't like adapters for rifle cans. Tolerance stacking can be a real bitch. I have also never seen this doen with a 5.56.

Now one solution that I have seen is to use an AAC 762SD which uses their 18 tooth mount. the mount is also used for their M4-1000 suppressor. therefore a mount that works with teh 762SD is avialable with a standard 556 thread pitch.

But the can isn't a 300WM can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Atomic Lab Rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't like adapters for rifle cans. Tolerance stacking can be a real bitch. I have also never seen this doen with a 5.56.</div></div>

If they are made right, they are fine for their intended purpose, buy from a reputable source. Plus, it's an AR, probably not a half moa rifle to begin with....and with a .30 cal can you've got a little room to avoid baffle strikes.

I use the HVT-QD, I'm not concerned about weight as it stays in my vehicle most of the time but the QD allows me to switch between my AR and my 308.

Works just fine for me, and on range days it gets a lot of work.

Thanks for the feedback. I've been considering getting a new barrel for my AR anyway so that isn't a huge deal for me. I would really like the versatility that the Sandstorm offers. Even if it's a few hundred bucks more off the top, I'd rather get a solid product that will last me a while.

I know I'm not going to be switching the can between guns in a hurry so if I just go with a standard threaded model, and then have my new AR barrel threaded and 16.1", I can switch out the can and the flashhider, correct?

Also, I haven't looked into the Sandstorm too much, but I've heard great things about it. Does anyone own one currently? How do you like it?

Now your buying a new barrel? For threads? Switching out flashhiders? Add the weight of the QD backinto the suppressor formula and then look at total weight at the end of that barrel.

You don't need a new barrel, only a well made adapter from this source. They work perfectly. Get one on your AR you can now screw on a high efficiency flash suppressor/compensator when you actually feel that you don't want to shoot suppressed and want a really effective compensator/flash hider. Look at the lower left hand corner for the adapter links. Now your ready to go, cost $65? Trust me, the tolerances of two sets of gauaged threads as compared to lug threaded QD units is not even in the same ballpark.

http://www.trosusa.com/

ss4.jpg

I use AWC, titanium Thundertrap, it is 22.3 oz and is, IMO, much quieter than anything listed out thus far. It is more expensive though and as it is not 100% titanium it is heavier (2.4oz). But everything has a reason and I'd gladly give up the ozs for the result.

Here: Page 16, want 300 winmag capable, ask for "enhanced, 1" longer, one more baffle set, and your done. Your looking at a 300 winmag Ti.

http://www.awcsystech.com/awc_catalog.pdf

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, I haven't looked into the Sandstorm too much, but I've heard great things about it. Does anyone own one currently? How do you like it? </div></div>

I have one on a bolt-gun and love it. Hearing safe (.308/7.62) on a 20" barrel.

Ive always heard dont expect great things from a Ti can on a semi auto. But that could just be gossip. Me personally, I wouldnt run the Ti cans on my semi auto that your sometimes going to be rattling off quite a few rounds at a high pace.

You could go with an adapter, thats correct. But do you really want to screw something onto your barrel..... then the QD mount...... then the suppressor itself. Sounds like one to many weak points. Ill take direct thread on can or QD mount onto barrel.

If your going to jump on the bandwagon of "thats to heavy" then you should really look into a gym membership. Now Im not saying the 338 Phantom is a good idea for your AR platform if your gonna be doing CQB stuff but if its a precision type AR, then who cares? your prone most of the time anyways.... The 7.62 Phantom is not heavy! I have 5 of them and they are all on different calibers and style rifles, they all perform very well and are built like tanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if your AR is in 5.56 you will have to get a new barrel to accept the threading of a 5/8-24 threading that is most popular on 30 cal cans. </div></div>

Or spend a whopping $30-$40 on an adapter. </div></div>

ya you could do that....

Then spend the money on a new suppressor when you get a baffle strike because your adapter came loose.... one to many weak points. like I said earlier. Ive seen people go this route, I know people are still doing it right now with good luck but why risk it? I dont want to keep threading shit onto my barrel to get something to work. if your going to build a PRECISION rifle. do everything right the first time.

The weight isn't an issue to me, the effect of weight on barrel harmonics is a concern. I just want a suppressor that I can use on a few different rifles and that will be consistent. The main gun will always be the 308 bolt gun; the AR won't see too much suppressed shooting compared to the 308. And the AR is not a precision rig, it's more a CQB carbine.

I'm still leaning mostly to the AAC Cyclone. It seems to have a pretty solid suppression record, though a few threads on the Hide have talked about bad POI shift and unpredictability. That's the last thing that I'm looking for. I just don't want to throw a grand away for something that's not going to do what I want it to.

I still vote for a suppressor with QD mount......

If the weight isn't an issue then the weight isn't an issue.

The weight is an issue for me because of its effects on me and the barrel.

The Cyclone is a great choice except for the fact that you will have to remove the FH on the aR whenever you want to use the cyclone on it.

Another issue is re-threading the AR barrel unless you get a thread conversion.

The Quick-Attach option is convenient ehen you are moving the can from rifle to rifle.

Call david at shark suppressors he can build whatever u want

I do not know which is "best". Saw a very wide variety used in Iraq. They all served their purpose. I have several AAC 7.62 SD cans and shoot them on 2/7.62's, a 6.8 and 6.5 and a .223.

Switch them around with the use of QD attachments. Had to have the .223 barrel rethreaded-with a good smith that is a non issue.

All of them work fine, although if I were building a bolt gun for long range stuff I would probably use a screw on suppressor. For my stuff the AAC cans work great.

Have a SWR Spec War also for a .223 and it works fine with a QD. For those that say they can actually hear a difference, well when you get to my age you will be lucky to hear!!!!!!!!!!

If I were to buy another suppressor it would be one of the newer TI's. Just because I would like to try it.