• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Whats the best way to remove primer pocket crimp

Jumper

I have a rendezvous with death
Minuteman
  • Dec 15, 2008
    some disputed barricade
    I've got a bunch of 5.56 cases that need to be de-crimped. I figure the best way is with the Dillon Primer Pocket swager but I'm not ready to spend that much yet.

RCBS makes a die that swages the primer pocket, anyone have any experience with it? Is it easy, hard slow ...?

Also Forster makes a chamfer tool that mounts in their case trimmer and chamfers the primer pocket and removes the crimp. Anyone ever use this? How was it? I'm trying to decide between the two. Thanks.

Re: Whats the best way to remove primer pocket crimp

IMO, the Dillon swager. I've tried different reamers and the Wilson setup is probably the most accurate...and the slowest. I've tried the RCBS swage die. Works, but still a little slow. Upgrading to the Dillon was like parking my truck and getting in a Viper.

About a year ago I loaned mine to an "acquaintance" and he moved before I remembered to get it back. I had to prep a batch of LC casesfor this year's HP season and pulled out the old RCBS. About 100 cases later, I called Dillon and ordered another swager.

I bought the RCBS because I was given a bunch of Lapua 308 brass that had crimped primers. Worked well enough for me. I'm shure there are better units but for the money, I say get the RCBS.JMHO

No problem with the RCBS here.
    Did over 700 cases over the course of a few hours recently.
    It was very quick for me once I got a good rhythym going.

I just got the Dillon. Is it normal for primers to insert with a little resistance when seating in swaged pockets? I've noticed it before in the reamed pockets (RCBS Case prep machine) prior to owning the Dillon 600, but I thought swaging the pockets would make for a more slippery insertion.

The easiest (and cheapest) method I’ve found is to chuck my RCBS chamfer tool in my drill and run it <span style="font-weight: bold">very slowly</span> over a garbage can. All it takes is a light touch of the primer pocket and the crimp is gone… I started doing it like this in 1981 because I couldn’t afford a pocket swager and it’s works so well that I still do it this way. The only time I ever need to “change my technique” is when the crimp consists of 3 stake-marks – then I wear a rubber glove to get a better grip on the shell so the stakes don’t grab on the cutting vanes.

decrimp.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got the Dillon. Is it normal for primers to insert with a little resistance when seating in swaged pockets? I've noticed it before in the reamed pockets (RCBS Case prep machine) prior to owning the Dillon 600, but I thought swaging the pockets would make for a more slippery insertion. </div></div>

Maybe just a bit.
    I like to check to see if the crimp is gone by dragging a dental pick across the edge of the pocket, from down towards the flashole moving up to the rim. In my opinion the rim should have a nice radius on it and there should not be any kind of ridge as you approach the radius.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anyone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The easiest (and cheapest) method I’ve found is to chuck my RCBS chamfer tool in my drill and run it <span style="font-weight: bold">very slowly</span> over a garbage can. All it takes is a light touch of the primer pocket and the crimp is gone… I started doing it like this in 1981 because I couldn’t afford a pocket swager and it’s works so well that I still do it this way. The only time I ever need to “change my technique” is when the crimp consists of 3 stake-marks – then I wear a rubber glove to get a better grip on the shell so the stakes don’t grab on the cutting vanes.

decrimp.jpg

</div></div>

Was that Fred Flintstone's drill?
    grin.gif
    Sorry...

I reamed them for years as well but the prospect of reaming all the .223 I have salted away on my RCBS machine, turning at .0000000001 RPM, was motivation for me to buy the Dillon.

That's an old Craftsman drill...I have one of those old drills and it works just as good now as it did when it was new. Mine says MADE IN USA as well...You hardly see anything electronic made in USA these days
    frown.gif

I use a 45 degree counter sink bit from harbor freight in my electric screwdriver. Works really well.

drill001.jpg

I bought this one at Barney Rubbles estate sale in Bend OR. Brand new. hehehehehe. I've been wondering what to do with it. You guys just gave me an idea.LOL.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAGUA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine says MADE IN USA as well...</div></div>

Dang.. NOTHING escapes you guys does it? Leave it to my drill to tell everyone how stinkin' old I am.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 500grains</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dillon 1050 </div></div>

Yes... eventually.

Thanks all for the info!

If you have a limitless supply of crimped brass or will be getting crimped brass on a regular basis then the Dillon Super Swage.. No brainer. OR Dillon 1050.

If you just have a few K or sporadically get crimped brass, then the RCBS or one of the crimp cutters on a drill (ideally drillpress).

If you only have a few hundred then just use a chamfer tool and turn the crimps off by hand.

All will work, just depends on your: need, convenience and cost.

I have the RCBS die and the Super Swage and the Dillon is much faster and I think works betterbut I keep the RCBS JIC

I use the RCBS Trim Mate with "Military Crimp Remover". It takes a little longer, a few seconds per case, as opposed to using a swaging tool, but it does a great job. It also puts a little campher on the primer pocket and every case is identical, no guessing involved.
    myerfire

Dillon all the way. If you're going to be doing over 1000 cases it'd be crazy to get anything else. The Dillon holds its resale value almost 100%, and if you want to keep it, the little extra you spend won't matter much spread out over time.

I can swage about 1100 .223 cases per hour with my Dillon. I challenge anyone here to beat that with any other product on the market.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: myerfire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use the RCBS Trim Mate with "Military Crimp Remover". It takes a little longer, a few seconds per case, as opposed to using a swaging tool, but it does a great job. It also puts a little campher on the primer pocket and every case is identical, no guessing involved.
    myerfire </div></div>

+1 on the Trim Mate. Neat little device and it does a great job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CountryBoy19</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Dillon holds its resale value almost 100%, and if you want to keep it, the little extra you spend won't matter much spread out over time.

I can swage about 1100 .223 cases per hour with my Dillon. I challenge anyone here to beat that with any other product on the market. </div></div>

Dillon Super Swage absolutely holds its value. I once had one, used it for 3,000 cases of LC, and then sold it back out for $5 less then my cost + shipping. Just picked up another one as I have a whole new load of brass coming my way. Think of it as leasing it for $15-20.

As for 1100 cases in an hour, that's one every 3.2 seconds. Possible, but why? A more realistic figure is 500 cases per hour. Still beats almost any other alternative out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark21</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CountryBoy19</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Dillon holds its resale value almost 100%, and if you want to keep it, the little extra you spend won't matter much spread out over time.

I can swage about 1100 .223 cases per hour with my Dillon. I challenge anyone here to beat that with any other product on the market. </div></div>

Dillon Super Swage absolutely holds its value. I once had one, used it for 3,000 cases of LC, and then sold it back out for $5 less then my cost + shipping. Just picked up another one as I have a whole new load of brass coming my way. Think of it as leasing it for $15-20.

As for 1100 cases in an hour, that's one every 3.2 seconds. Possible, but why? A more realistic figure is 500 cases per hour. Still beats almost any other alternative out there. </div></div>

Why not? I was in a hurry to get my brass swaged and I was keeping up a great pace so I timed myself. I only brought that up to demonstrate that it is the fastest, easiest, and most convenient way to do it. Get a Dillon!