• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes what's the best way to take through-the-scope pics

hrt4me

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2001
Dallas, Texas
The mil-dot reticle on my riflescope broke, so I would like to document it in my e-mail to the manufacturer (a picture is worth a thousand words)...

Re: what's the best way to take through-the-scope pics

A camera functions just like your eye so line up the camera just like you would with your eye when shooting. Proper lense relief and center it and take the picture. Should work fine.

If you can, mount the scope to a tripod and then it's a lot easier to get behind it with the camera. If you want to go full-retard, then mount the camera on it's own tripod as well... (yes, I've gone full retard but boy was it worth it...).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B. Melick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The mil-dot reticle on my riflescope broke, </div></div>

What brand?

It helps to have manual focus so you can focus on the reticle.

It's NOT as easy as one might think. A tripod and manual focus help a lot as mentioned above.

The smaller the camera lens diameter, the easier it will be to get a picture. Cell phones and point and shoot cameras are easier to get pictures with than professional grade SLRs.

If you're using an SLR, make sure you shoot the picture at the widest aperture. Unless your alignment is <span style="font-style: italic">perfect</span>, the aperture will block out some or all of the incoming light. Remember, the light is focused in a very small area, usually about 2-4mm wide, at the rated eye relief of the scope.

Well, I tried taking the photographs using merely my cell phone camera with the rifle just resting on the bed, and here are the not-so-good results (but decent enough to convey the point - you can clearly see the mil-dot reticle is broken in my riflescope). I think it must be a wire reticle which detached, as depicted in the top of the photos. Thoughts?
mil-dot1.jpg

mil-dot2.jpg

I'm going to contact the manufacturer tomorrow, but I'm sure they will stand behind their product and take care of this issue for me.

Windy day out there, huh?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yes, I've gone full retard but boy was it worth it...). </div></div>

Yep I can relate. But yes it is cool once you look at it on the computer!

Well, my MST-100 is on its way back to California to get the wire mil-dot reticle replaced; once again, the crew at US Optics come through!
smile.gif

Two weeks to the day I shipped my MST-100 to have US Optics replace the broken wire reticle, FedEx dropped off the package from them. US Optics took a week to fix/replace the wire reticle, and the shipping time to/from the factory took another week, so I was pleased with the quick turnaround.

Well, I started to mount the MST-100 in the USO rings atop my spec M40A1 build and realized this reticle is broken too (hard to tell from the pic, but it separated just beneath the first mil-dot below center)! So now it has to go back to USO once again this coming Monday. Real frustrating. How did the legendary Unertl 10x gain its reputation for being Marine proof??
MST-100brokenwirereticle2.jpg

Why does the thick section of the reticle outside of the mil-dots terminate differently in the two different reticles you have pictured? One tapers before the mil-dot section. The other is abrupt. I would expect that given the whole reason people purchase these MST-100's is authenticity, one of these looks is correct and the other is not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJimFish</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why does the thick section of the reticle outside of the mil-dots terminate differently in the two different reticles you have pictured? One tapers before the mil-dot section. The other is abrupt. I would expect that given the whole reason people purchase these MST-100's is authenticity, one of these looks is correct and the other is not.</div></div>

Good point, I hadn't even noticed that detail until you pointed it out; I will have to ask Jeff Fertal @ USO about it on Monday...

Sounds pretty frustrating to constantly be having to send your scope back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChielScape</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's a USO scope? I thought they engraved their reticles.</div></div>

Jeffrey Fertal @ US Optics confirmed to me that the MST-100 has a wire reticle.

Hmm, I should've typed etched instead of engraved, but I guess you got what I meant anyway. :p

Thanks for the confirmation, I'll make sure to remember, if I ever get the cash to afford a USO, to go for an etched reticle. For me, I've never really trusted wire-reticles, and maybe this is a freak occurrence but it still proved it for me.

I hope they can get it to work for you and it doesn't fail again, I can imagine how much this must suck for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's a USO scope? I thought they engraved their reticles.</div></div>

USO does use etched glass reticles in their scopes. Every USO that I have ever owned or used contained floating elements and therefore was etched. These were the sn-3 3.2-17x, the sn-3 5-25x and the sn-4 1-4x. I suspect that all USO's are etched glass. The MST-100 is not really a USO. It is a reproduction of a 1970's Unertl with few changes (coated glass and better springs come to mind.) The Unertl had a wire reticle, though one constructed in a bit different fashion than current wire reticles. To my knowledge, no one in the U.S. at that time was using etched reticles. Etched glass reticles were soviet tech.

I would speculate that USO does not build the reticles for the MST-100 scopes themselves. With all their other scopes being etched glass it seems unlikely that they would have the equipment on hand to do wire reticles. I expect that these are purchased from another maker. Given how rarely these MST-100's are produced, and that they are produced to mostly 40 year old specs, I am not to surprised that there are a few kinks in the works.

The idea that the MST-100 is the toughest scope ever made in the history of the world and no one will ever make one tougher. I think that idea has a lot to do with how much tougher it was than its contemporaries and not much to do with a comparison of it to today's optics. I wouldn't bet on a MST-100, even a USO reproduction taking as much abuse as a current USO ST-10.

Late last week I finally received my MST-100 back again from Jeff Fertal @ US Optics. They went above and beyond to twice repair the wire mil-dot reticle which had separated. I re-mounted the MST-100 on my spec M40A1 build (with return USMC stock and matching bottom metal) and cannot wait to hit the range later this coming week. Thanks to everyone at USO!

I'll take some pics later this week...