• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing whats the deal with scope base screws?

AXEMAN

General Nuisance
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2009
kansas, topeka
argh. i really like my EGW base. i have had a 0moa and 20moa. i have had issues with the screws on both bases. they just seem soft. they always get rounded out either going in or coming out. i try several 3/32" (dont hold me to that size) hex bits til i find one thats tight. i had a few that wouldnt grip the head tight enough so i tried another. well i found one that took out three screws where the other 2-3 keys would not hold enough for me to even try them. every screw i have had has a deformed head. now im sitting here with my action out and i cant go any further. one screw... <span style="font-weight: bold">where can i get better quality screws??</span> brownells or midway huh? EGW will send me new ones free, i appreciate the customer service, its been great, but more of these soft in the head screws i dont need. why skimp on the screws? ok, i feel better now. gotta find a smith or machine shop now to get that screw out.

Re: whats the deal with scope base screws?

use a torks style screw in it...it will almost eliminate the stripping issue

well im all better now. i just got back from my neighbors. he used a 2.5mm key that he tapped down into the head with a light mallet and then grabbed the allen key with a pliers and bam, just like magic its off. while i was messing with this i had been asking myself wtf, why didnt they use torx? now i need to source some torx in 8/40 i think with that countersunk kinda bottom to the head. anybody??

Usually if you use a high quality bit then you have no worries with the screws.

I use a set of Dynamite hex wrenches from my R/C days. They work slicker than snot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well im all better now. i just got back from my neighbors. he used a 2.5mm key that he tapped down into the head with a light mallet and then grabbed the allen key with a pliers and bam, just like magic its off. while i was messing with this i had been asking myself wtf, why didnt they use torx? now i need to source some torx in 8/40 i think with that countersunk kinda bottom to the head. anybody?? </div></div>

Brownells

John

smile.gif

funny you should mention that. when i was doing my DPMS 308 lower, i was longing for a ball end driver. then it hit me, look in the rc10 box. there they were. i wasnt sure if it was the screws or the driver. ive had 2 bases and 12 screws and all the ones i used seem to get reamed out. but i will say that part of the problem is with the coating that savage uses on the model 10 rifles. they dont cover the holes when the finish is applied and it gets in the threads. they were super hard to tighten all the way down. i used one on them to run in and out of all of the holes and try to clean them out. i should have gotten a tap or a thread chase. now that the barrel is out, i will have to clean them up. hello ebay

that being said, anyone out there know where to find said torx scope base screws for less than $2.50 each? thanks...

thanks john. i was just starting to pic thru those. midway is the $2.50 place, so i was hoping to find a little cheaper. i honestly almost just listed all my crap here and just said F it and started looking at R/C planes for fun and enjoyment. then a few deep breaths and it got better

got the taps off ebay so they are coming. just got the go gauge and stainless barrel nut. i was going to use some anti-sieze when i was using the a non-stainless nut, dont think i need it now

Are they like the Ken Farrel screws? He sells them pretty cheap. Did you have your base opened up to 8x40 or are they still the standard size? I have a set of new standard size Farrel screws I would send you for nothing.

you know...i may be mistaken. anyone know what a savage is tapped for? im not sure why 8/40 stuck in my mind. crap, savage is closed already. i appreciate the offer but let me check before i commit. hell i may have some 8/40 taps for sale soon

I think standard is 6x48. Find out what they are and send me a pm. I have 2 sets of brand new Ken Farrel screws that have that countersunk head. I think I might have a used set as well. If you want to try them, you can have them. Heres a link to what they look like.
http://www.kenfarrell.com/4-6-48T-SCREW.html

FWIW, Brownells sells Torx head scope base screws in both 6-48 and 8-40. IIRC, they offer both T-10 and T-15 sizes. The T-10 would be stronger, and resist stripping out better than the T-15.

thanks man, ill call on a price. i also found that ken ferrel has them too and at $5 for all 4. i JUST ordered that barrel nut and headspace gauge from then days ago, but that was before i had started to take this one apart. i need to go thru stuff and try to get a length after i get the tap to clean the finish savage uses on the model 10's out the threads.

Call EGW, tell them of your issues and ask for some Torx.... they use them on the HD models, and should have the proper length for the normal ones in stock also....

really? well that solves that. i wish they would just make the change across the board. thanks akace

You can remove almost all stripped out allen head screws by tapping a torx bit into it. Apex bits (allen head, internal wrenching-whatever) are better at removing stubborn screws than a regular allen wrench- They are USUALLY heat treated harder.
Also, in the world of screws, stainless is the worst for stripping. Stainless is a tough metal but a soft one.

loctite anyone?

I havent stripped any since I got an inch/lb wrench and started properly torquing them. A lot of guns I receive are about 3x tighter than they are supposed to be.
frown.gif

bill45, we did a modified version of that using a 2.5mm allen and tapping the key down into the head of the stripped out one and turning it at the same time. it was like magic. but here is why it was so hard in this case. if you have a model 10 you may have this stiff in the holes...

here it is before. notice the holes are dark, the threads are loaded with the coating they use on the rifle

4387744217_0c15bbed65_b.jpg

so i run the tap thru and as you can see, there is quite a bit of schmootz in there. very few if any metal flakes came thru

4387747743_ce6c540a7a_b.jpg

plenty of stuff still on the tap after taking it out.

4388507550_ab7b12daf6_b.jpg

notice the threads are now bright and shiney, all cleaned up

4388531512_3df8312e1a_b.jpg

i dont worry so much about a certain torque setting going in. the nice thing about all that gunk in the threads is you never needed loctite. now i may use purple on it

thanks. i have always liked macro amd close up stuff so i have a few lenses and attachments to help with that.

seriously, how hard would it be for savage to have done that or pt screws in the holes? its a $1000 rifle you would think that i wouldnt have to clean up their mess

This is why I will never buy EGW bases again. Their bases and screws are too soft for my liking. Next time buy Seekins Precision base and rings. All of his stuff is made in USA, even the screws.

i think they would have been just fine if the holes werent gunked up. they do make a steel base as well. had savage done their job better, this wouldnt have been an issue. i have no issues with EGW, they were quick to get me new screws the one time i called them, the bases have always been tops in fit & finish.