• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Whats the most accurate 5.56 barrel for a 18" SPR

Tangodown911

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2008
West metro Atlanta, GA
I've been looking at Noveske, Ranier's ultra match, BCM, and a few other 18" SPR type barrels for a build.

1/8 twist would be first choice but 1/7 would be fine also. Looking to shoot only 75bthp and 77smk or some of the Bergers in the 70s.

Also looking for the best upper receiver money can buy. What I mean by best is high quality, tight tolerances, and strongest made.

What luck have you had.

Re: Whats the most accurate 5.56 barrel for a 18" SPR

Barrels from manufacturers listed are no doubt of top quality. I would also add White Oak Armament.

I would also suggest a look at WOA. I have a 20" S-DMR 1-7 that shoots an inch at 200 yards with 77SMK handloads. I also have a 16" 1-7 that shoots the same at 100 yards with the same ammo. I'm looking into getting a 6.8 SPC barrel too. At any rate, they make good barrels. Good luck.

I bought a 7 twist douglas and an 8 twist kreiger. Ill let you know shortly

Rich

Monty at Centurion Arms sells a complete Mk12 upper with the contract barrel if you're interested in that...but I just checked the website and its gone? No idea wtf is up. High Caliber Sales offers a turnkey option too. I have a Noveske 1/8 3 land/groove SPR barrel specific from MSTN, shoots great.

Both sell the Compass Lake Douglas contract barrels as a standalone item as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cds7221</div><div class="ubbcode-body">no noveske love?</div></div>

Chris,

Are you shooting a Noveske SPR barrel? What kind of results are you getting? I'm very close to buying one.

+1 for satern rifled cut barrels if you're going for accuracy

You can take this for what it's worth. One of the top barrel
makers on here told me this. " Nothing keeps up with the Douglas SPR barrel".

Take a look at the Larue Steath upper complete builds. They use a Lother barrel in a 1/8 twist. I'm useing there 18" barrel with 13.2" handguard setup and it's going on a Noveske lower with Colt lower parts kit, SSA trigger and Magpul PRS, MIAD and trigger guard

Rainier Ultra Match barrels are outstanding, too.
I have in three builds now.
The problem is they are hard to get/keep in stock.
Get the barrel and matched bolt at the same time and you are GTG.

I was set on a Ranier Ultra, but I've decided to go with a complete noveske upper with a switchblock. From the looks of things there are a lot of good barrels to choose from. Hopefully the Noveske will be good enough.

I went with Rainier Ultra Match, it's stupidly accurate. Any of the barrels you mentioned will serve you well though.

I am leaning toward Noveske for my new Recce style rifle.

The last one I had was impressively accurate. Always shot better than I thought a light weight 16" carbine should shoot.

That said, I saw that LaRue released a PredatOBR. Odd name, but it looks like just what I want. Compact, fairly light package but with the heavier OBR profile barrel.

Long wait I am sure though.

I sure like my factory built 18" Noveske SPR with a Switchblock. Shoots .5 moa with 77SMK's and eats whatever ammo you feed it without a hiccup. The switchblock is hands down the best gas block for running a can too.

Great company to deal with, I ordered a suppressor from them and they have been nothing but exceptional. Great customer service for sure.

+1 for noveske. I shoot steel plates with mine at 600 yards with 75gr A-max easy!

I run both a noveske and a BCM on my mk12's (mod 0 and 1, respectively) and they both are lasers. Either would be a fine choice, and the price difference is negligible between the two.

WOA also makes a few nice SPR types, available with matched bolts. There are many twists and contours to choose, and they don't make junk if you know what I mean. Plus, they tend to be a bit less spendy than noveske.

You cant go wrong, I have a Noveske 18" spr and match bolt. The finish is top of the line and the groups are around 3/16" at a hundred yards.

+1 for white oak armament or Kreiger in no particular order.

IMG_0398.JPG

The custom barrel 18" SPR barrel that Noveske Rifleworks does for MSTN:

1x8 three groove stainless.

"Improved" Mk 12 profile.

Gives sufficient thread engagement for those using the Ops-Inc SPR suppressor.

Only 39 ounces, 1/2 ounce more than Crane's profile, but with a more sophisticated CNC contour.

Pinned gas block.

Ionbond diamondblack coating.

We have a friend who is a former Army sniper with 38 confirmed who runs one of these. I've seen him shoot considerably sub-MOA 5 shot groups at 600 yards (3.5") off a bipod with this barrel.

Huh, I'll be damned. I didn't know Wes from MSTN was a member here. I have the Noveske barrel he lists above on the Mk12 upper he built me a couple years ago. It's a barrel that Noveske makes specific for Wes and not the SPR barrel they sell on the site.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killerwaffles</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 for noveske. I shoot steel plates with mine at 600 yards with 75gr A-max easy! </div></div>

Another recommendation for the Noveske. My buddy has the 18" with switchblock. We were hitting steel at 750 with Black Hills 77 gr OTM.

I can't say enough good things about Noveske's uppers especially. I have an N4, N6 and Crusader upper that's my daily driver carbine. They're all excellently accurate.

Not to bad mouth others, but I don't think I'll buy another barell that doesn't say Noveske on it. Escecially now that you can get any barell you want machined to fit an MRP. That being said, I own several others (BCM, CMMG, and a couple from LMT).

I have a Noveske 18"SPR that I mounted to a Larue billet upper, with a DD lite rail. The gun in way more accurate than I ever expected, and that is with PPU "match" ammo. It likes the 75s, but loves the 69s. Once I figure out how to reload, I can only imagine the accuracy will improve (if that is possible). I am by no means the greatest shooter in the world, but this gun will stack round after round on top of each other.

A friend had a Douglas that he swore by, and I have heard good things about many others, but for me its Noveske.....

I've had excellent results from both WOA and Lothar Walther

My expirence points toward two barrels. HCS/dougless or a Baer. The Baer will shoot .25 moa. Period. Nothing comes close. It will need to be turned a bit to fit the SPR role, but no big deal. I keep a few on hand as they are about 8 weeks out on barrels.

I had a 18" Noveske SS barrel and it was great. Then I purchased their 20" medium profile SS barrel (this one: http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imc...tus=&title=) and immediately sold the 18". 20" was a freakin laser, bug holes at 200yds from bipod prone (w/ 70gr Berger VLD handloads and a 1.8-10 USO). Plus the 20" added 50fps to MV. I know you want a 18", but their 20" is so much better, and only for a 1/2lb or so...

I have the 18" rainier ultra match and am very happy with it. I have it on a Mega monolithic upper and it's very accurate. I'm glad I had the barrel melonited to minimize barrel wear on it, so far so good.

What kind of groups do you guys get out of the Rainier Ultra Match barrels?

I have a WOA SPR barrel on mine and it's finicky with handloads. It shoots lights out with factory BH 262s

I'd go Noveske or WOA for an AR. The WOA I have shoots very well with the heavy pills.

I can get 1" to 1.25" with handloaded 69 smk. I think I can get even better with more magnification than my 8x scope has.

You'll get a lot of recommendations for noveske, WOA, krieger etc. I own a BCM MK12 and with SWA's Run N gun 77gr SMK @ 2700fps i'm getting 1/2 MOA when i do my part. Barrels can be had for 300$, just another option to consider as it's a cheaper alternative to a SPR 18" profiled barrel. Though as you know the Ionbond finish will run you another 60$.

This is the only group i have on picture granted it's only a 4 shot group and i threw that fourth shot, not as consistent with a gas gun. Nothing great, but it is more accurate than i can shoot and gets the job done for me. I'm sure there are a couple of members that have BCM 18" or 20" guns that have better groups out of theirs. I've yet to reload for it, don't like the thought of chasing brass.
jjwvpg.jpg

i got a rock river service rifle match barrel, was 20 inch, cut it down to 18 and that thing drives tacks

P.S. if i do my part

Got my RR 18" ATH in today to go on top of my Noveske lower. Range report will be in as soon as I get my stinking scope mount in
frown.gif

Pretty sure Rainer doesn't make anything, their Ultra match barrels are made by WOA which are Shilen blanks, the others are Wilson Arms blanks(not Wilson Combat).

A lot of the accuracy depends on the trigger puller. Some can shoot 1/2" groups with a $200 barrel and some couldn't shoot 1" groups with a $600 barrel.
Good ammo, good scope, good trigger, good rest...proper technique and trigger follow through is a big part of that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: edwin907</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Krieger MK12Mod0 with OPS 12th

OPS3.jpg
</div></div>

Wow beautiful, specs?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchinOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Compass Lake will turn you a Kreiger or Douglas spr barrel. </div></div>

Compass Lake built my 18" with a douglas and it is a hammer. I would not hesitate to have them build me another with the way this one shoots.

K

On my MK12 Mod1, I'm running a Compass Lake Douglas SPR barrel. Great groups out of it. Throw on the OPS Inc 12th, and it tightens up even more.

I also shoot a Kreiger that is stupid accurate. 10 rounds through a dime.

There are a lot of good barrel makers out there. Is not hard to get a good one these days.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MSTN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
IMG_0398.JPG

The custom barrel 18" SPR barrel that Noveske Rifleworks does for MSTN:

1x8 three groove stainless.

"Improved" Mk 12 profile.

Gives sufficient thread engagement for those using the Ops-Inc SPR suppressor.

Only 39 ounces, 1/2 ounce more than Crane's profile, but with a more sophisticated CNC contour.

Pinned gas block.

Ionbond diamondblack coating.

We have a friend who is a former Army sniper with 38 confirmed who runs one of these. I've seen him shoot considerably sub-MOA 5 shot groups at 600 yards (3.5") off a bipod with this barrel.</div></div>
What rail system is this? Is this proprietary to MSTN or Noveske?

my vote is krieger or douglas. both are top notch.

I like my rainier ultra match just fine. Shoots tight cleans up quick. White Oak was decent but not spectacular. Will probably go for a douglas or lilja next as I see deals on them from time to time.

Only bad one I've had was a rainier cheap match and they made that right by me.

Honestly it is hard to go wrong no matter what you get.

Have you checked out JP enterprises. They are doing a couple unique things, one they have rifle length gas port on 18" and an adjustable gas block.