• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Whats the next step?

jsel10

Private
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2014
So I just sold one of my old milsurps to continue funding my goal of getting into prs style shooting. My rifle is at CDI PRECISION at the moment getting bottom metal. After that the rifle should be set. I already reload so I'm set on that front as well.
So my question is, what is the next logical step in equipment? The longest range in driving distance from me that does prs style matches is 600 yards with all targets at known distances. So I don't feel a laser range finder would be necessary. I don't own a spotting scope so I was leaning in that direction. I have $600.00 to spend, please help me spend it wisely.

Take some of that money and enter a local match. You will see quickly what you do and do not need. Every squad has more than enough spotters and tripods to go around, and everyone is sharing. Same with bags. After that match, take some additional money and build a barricade similar to what you shot from at the match. Take that barricade to the range and practice your positional shooting.

Reactions: Patriots1884
Take some of that money and enter a local match. You will see quickly what you do and do not need. Every squad has more than enough spotters and tripods to go around, and everyone is sharing. Same with bags. After that match, take some additional money and build a barricade similar to what you shot from at the match. Take that barricade to the range and practice your positional shooting.

Agreed! $600 towards a spotter would be a waste at this point. The gun and ammo are all that matter as far as gear, just get out and shoot a match. Matches are seriously the funnest part of all this.

I’ve only shot 4 matches so far this year but there was only one stage that required a tripod. It was a Turkey bling stage with targets out to 900 ish I think. My squad was a bunch of beginners like myself so none of us had a tripod but we just borrowed a tripod from my buddy in the squad behind us.

While I really want a tripod, it’s just not necessary and I don’t think the spotter is either. Everyone is so helpful and sharing and the RO’s typically let you look through their spotters if you need help finding targets.

I’d spend that money on match fees and ammo and go have fun.