• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

whats the perfect rifle for a tactical comp?

skeetlee

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
Central Illinois
First of all i dont even think there is any place that has a tactical competition here in Illinois. maybe Missouri? Anyway what is the best set up for a competition? Do you need an accurate rifle that doesnt weigh much? I have never seen a competition, but from what i read there it seems that there is a lot of running and moving? I have a couple accurate tactical type rifle on AICS chassis but i wonder if they are to heavy? Maybe some of you competition guys could post some pics of your rig. I competed in sporting clays for several years and had a bunch of success with that (IL state champ) I am very competitive so i will be searching for some kind of competition around here. Lee

Re: whats the perfect rifle for a tactical comp?

I shoot a 260 rem bolt gun in a Manners T4 stock. Rifle wieghs 15+ lbs. Just have train with it and its doable. I think to "perfect" rig would be a 260 in an AR platform with a Horus reticle.

I shoot in Houston MO at Big Piney Sportsman Club. Its a great place to shoot to 800yds. Matches are small big a blast.

not sure from your post exactly what type of competition you are talking about but look up IPSC three gun if you are looking for a lot of scenarios involving shooting and moving. The ar-15 type rifle is very common

If I were making a dedicated tactical match gun it would consist of.
7mm WSM with 180 gr Bergers
Surgeon Repeater with DBM system
Manners or Mcmillan A-5 stock
Jewell trigger set at 1.75lbs
Broughton 25" 5R barrel
Patriot Arms Fat Boy Brake
Badger Rings
S&B 4-16 PM2 with P4 Mill

Reason are a flat shooting cartrige with GREAT ballistics that bucks wind well. The surgeon action is top notch quality with a very good DBM system for situations were fast follow-ups are needed. Jewell (Best single state bar none) and Broughton because they make one mean .284 barrel. The Patriot Fat boy brake allows you to be your own spotter because it elimantes 99% of the recoil of my 7mm-300wsm. S&B scope with Mills because ive fallen in love with 5-25 (which is my first mill scope). Using mills is very fast when compared to count clicks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marku</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I were making a dedicated tactical match gun it would consist of.
7mm WSM with 180 gr Bergers
Surgeon Repeater with DBM system
Manners or Mcmillan A-5 stock
Jewell trigger set at 1.75lbs
Broughton 25" 5R barrel
Patriot Arms Fat Boy Brake
Badger Rings
S&B 4-16 PM2 with P4 Mill

Reason are a flat shooting cartrige with GREAT ballistics that bucks wind well. The surgeon action is top notch quality with a very good DBM system for situations were fast follow-ups are needed. Jewell (Best single state bar none) and Broughton because they make one mean .284 barrel. The Patriot Fat boy brake allows you to be your own spotter because it elimantes 99% of the recoil of my 7mm-300wsm. S&B scope with Mills because ive fallen in love with 5-25 (which is my first mill scope). Using mills is very fast when compared to count clicks.
</div></div>

good luck running with that all day.

bench

and you might as well go with a 308 because most comps these days are either going factory ammo only, or supplied ammo only.

when you are talking off the shelf loads, i would rather go with a 308.

bench

good luck running with that all day.

bench

Bench, please explain to me how that rifle would weigh more than a standard .308 winchester built in the same format? Both can be built on short actions, and if you didnt go to crazy on the barrel taper is should weight around the same amount. The only difference would be the extra length of the brake on front. The gun I listed wouldnt weigh any more than a GAP, Surgeon Scalpel, KMW, or Accuracy International, and im willing to bettheres alot of those brands being shot in tactical competitions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: benchmstr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and you might as well go with a 308 because most comps these days are either going factory ammo only, or supplied ammo only.</div></div>
If "factory ammo only" matches became popular (haven't seen it yet), the 6.5 Creedmore would look very attractive. If "supplied ammo only" matches become popular, I would look for another way to spend time.

Some attributes I like in a "tactical" rifle are

1. Highest BC possible to drift less and shoot flat. Less chance of missing the target when rapidly engaging.
2. Repeatability and durability. They get dirty and beat up and they better hit .5 MOA
3. Weight and ergonomics are also important.
4. First focal plane optics.
5. 10 round mag. 4 round box mags hold guys up when under time crunches.

If I could assemble the ultimate "tactical" rifle it would be an AR15 with a 20" barrel shooting .243 Win @ 3200fps and holds .5MOA or better. This is not possible but you get my point.

The perfect rifle doesn't exist. All tactical rifles are compromises, because a rifle with the best stability is too heavy to carry.

A rugged and reliable rifle in a good caliber which will shoot under 1 MOA consistently, with a good scope, is good enough.

The highest priority in a tactical competition rifle is a competent shooter.

Obtaining a competent shooter is a far more expensive and time consuming task than obtaining a suitable rifle.

The rifle you feel confident in is the one I'd take, and do.