• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors What's the pros/cons of Rockote, NP3,Ion Bond

spotswood

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2009
Florida
I am ordering a new 45 and have no experience with coatings such as Rockote, NP3 and Ion Bond.
My very old 45 was all stainless (Detonics Scoremaster) and shot well but was not smooth due to galling of the metal. I like stainless for no corrosion or rust but the do not seem as smooth as carbon steel guns.
My not so old (12 yrs) KImber Custom is smooth with the top slide being coated.

I have the option of carbon steel or stainless and coatings such as I mentioned above with Volkmann. Which is the best for smoothness and durability and is it even needed if the gun builder is using two different grades of stainless to prevent galling. Would you coat stainless or only coat a carbon gun?
Thanks

Re: What's the pros/cons of Rockote, NP3,Ion Bond

NP3 is very durable and slippery, which is good for functioning but may be slippery enough that it negatively impacts your grip on the frame and slide. I know ion bond is extremely durable, but I don't believe it has the lubricity that NP3 does. You didn't list this as an option, but hard chrome may be one of the best compromises. It's as hard as woodpecker lips. If you look around a good majority of 1911s used for competition get hard chained.

I have been very happy with Robar's NP3 coatings. All my bolts on my bolt guns have the same treatment. I also have a Colt Officer's Lightweight that was done 15+ years ago and it's carried daily. It's still looks and functions great. I only stippled the front frame strap and use slimline checkered grips. It has never felt too slick to handle.

Good responses above. Now you need to decide what color you want your pistol. As a note, Ionbond has a good lubricity once it is wiped down with any quality oil as the little "tubes" that have been deposited on it during the PVD process soak it in.

Josh

I'm not really too knowledgable on these coatings but I do know my caspian was built by Brad Thorolson from AMU and when I won it he said it was Ion Bonded and that was the strongest finish there is. Take it or leave it but I trust anything that man says concerning pistols. (plus look for excuses to post this gun)

028-1.jpg

Thanks guys.

I thought np3 was only in one color which was a dull titanium looking color.

I am assuming that if I coat the gun then there is no reason to use Stainless steel as you are coating it. I may as well use carbon steel then.

I am not into chrome or shiny. I would rather have a dull finish whether Ion or NP3.

Thanks

You are correct on the color of NP3. Ionbond is deep black when it has oil on it and a bit lighter if dry. I am not into silver pistols, so I chose to have my 1911 coated in Ionbond

Josh

NP3 with 10+ years wear and tear. I love it!

berrrrrrrrrrr.jpg

break.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Six years now on my 10mm G29.</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">NP3 applied to barrel, slide & slide internals.
Shown in indoor light.</span>
G29-5.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Outdoor light.</span>
BB.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">I really like it, for the reasons posted by others above.</span>