• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What's the REAL story on SWFA?

quebow03

Private
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2019
I have heard all sorts of stories about the origin of SWFA (old military contract that was bought up by someone, bla bla bla). Anyone know where they are made and/or have other details on the history of the company?

I have heard all sorts of stories about the origin of SWFA (old military contract that was bought up by someone, bla bla bla). Anyone know where they are made and/or have other details on the history of the company?
As far as I know Rex did a detailed video about exaxtly this.
Should be able to type in SWFA/Rex Reviews and find it.
However, as of late some are saying that swfa ss fixed power optics are not as good as they once were, something to think about...
Hope this helps.
Mike

Reactions: quebow03
Not really a big secret. SWFA is a gun shop in Texas- Southwest Firearms. Their line of scopes evolved from the Tasco Super Sniper, a decent fixed power optic made by Light Optical Works in Japan. The rest of their products evolved from there. I believe they are still having their optics sourced from LOW.

They are all quite decent for the money, if not incorporating the latest technology. I'm using the 10X42 HD and am very pleased with it.

Reactions: Bender
- and there's a downside to that? ;)

Just for fun, a video showing an SWFA fixed 12x being used to get a hit at a mile -

Do you actually shoot a rifle?
Lmao.

Yes. Believe it or not... I don’t compete though. I go ring steel and am chasing a 1000yd prairie dog. I’ve made it to 650yds so far with my .223, I have a 6.5CM and others.

So, besides trolling here and using you in the sheep joke. Yes. I shoot.

BF8D1483-18FB-41BA-85B5-DC355CFF8768.jpeg
9D3F1122-3A5E-4811-9A84-2798331A9C54.jpeg
AF6346D6-1677-49FD-AEDB-63C4CDEB4179.jpeg

Would love to see an updated 12x with side parallax, zero stop, and at least 10 mils per rev.

And you have a can no less....you suck...I cant own a can in the Freaking state I reside
Yes. The $200 permission slip from our oVeRloRdS is annoying for a fuggin muffler.... I live in Cheyenne, where Thunderbeast is, but I’m soo cheap I bought a .30 cal LANE Scorpion King. I think it’s as good as a TB9 or whatever the predecessor to the current offerings from thunder beast. very accurate and no poi shift. For $600 minus stamp. I use it on my .223, 6.5 and .308.

Yes. The $200 permission slip from our oVeRloRdS is annoying for a fuggin muffler.... I live in Cheyenne, where Thunderbeast is, but I’m soo cheap I bought a .30 cal LANE Scorpion King. I think it’s as good as a TB9 or whatever the predecessor to the current offerings from thunder beast. very accurate and no poi shift. For $600 minus stamp. I use it on my .223, 6.5 and .308.

I love Wyoming...maybe some day but doubt it...too much of a Yankee

I have two of their scopes and have been great. Customer service is awesome as well. I propped up a rifle while unloading from my safe 3 weeks ago, and it slipped and fell onto the concrete floor - right on the scope. uggh.. I thought it was toast. Glass was fine, still tracked, but the parallax adjust just did not work anymore. Sent the scope in for repair, 7 days later I had a brand new one to replace it. Scope was 5 years old.

I would buy another one of there scopes - when they get updated features.

Their fixed power scopes have nothing to do with LOW, according to the owner of swfa. They keep the supplier a secret but more than one person has taken delivery of a SS with the Kenko optics sticker still on the bottom of it.

Reactions: Uhlan
I’ve got several. In fact over the Holidays they ran a special for their fixed scopes, rings, sunshade, and level for $250. I can hardly believe I restrained myself to only 1. It might just end up being a 22LR precision scope

I have 5x20 on 6.5 cm and shoot out to 1000 regularly. Like most people have mentioned very clear glass and basic reticle. Very happy with it tracks perfectly.

Their fixed power scopes have nothing to do with LOW, according to the owner of swfa. They keep the supplier a secret but more than one person has taken delivery of a SS with the Kenko optics sticker still on the bottom of it.

Correct. Mostly.

HD line is made by LOW: 1-6x24, 10x42HD, 3-9x42 and 5-20x50

Classic line is made by another manufacturer (I am not going to argue with the previously identified sticker) mostly in Japan: 6x42, 10x42, 10x42S, 12x42, 16x42, 20x42, 2.5-10x32 and 3-15x42

The Classic 1-4x24 is made in the Phillipines by the same company.

I have tried all of their scopes at some point or another and always have a few on hand. When I build guns for friends and family most of the time those end up with SWFA scopes since that is a very trouble free way to go for me. They seldom break and if something does go wrong, SWFA supports them really well. Since so many of my SWFA scopes end up with other people, I end up acquiring more as I go along, so I have had a lot of these go through my hands.

My favourite SWFA scope overall has got to be the 3-9x42. I just happen to lake mid-power FFP scopes and there aren't so many of these around. THe little 2.5-10x32 is also growing on me, although for different reasons.

ILya

I like the standard mil-quad reticle. I dont need or even desire a tree reticle (i have a few in other scopes). I also like how they have a thicker reticle than any other ffp scope i have tried (bushnell lrtsi may be comparable). The thicker reticle makes the scope usable at all magnifications.

The updates that I would like to see is 10mil turrets, illumination, and a zerostop. The zerostop is the least important but should be included. If they would do these things, the 3-15 and 5-20 would be all the scopes I own.

If they take the classic line, update the turrets to the single screw splined style in the HD line with 10 mils per revolution they’d be the champs in performance/$ again.

Never seen the company history video.

There isn't another $300 scope that I would trust for tracking reliability anywhere nearly as much as the SWFA fixed power models.

I run an SWFA HD 5-20 on my 6.5 CM. Awesome scope. Wish they'd add a zero stop and update the reticle. But I've taken my creedmoor to 1,100 yards with the 5-20 and it just doesn't have issues. I can take a shot, turn the knobs all over the place, change magnification, parallax adjustments, etc., and then bring the knobs back to zero, adjust parallax back to normal, and it will drop another round right on top of the last. And it has really good glass to boot. Just a hard scope to have any real qualms with. Sometimes I want more, but it's 100% want, not need.

The updates that I would like to see is 10mil turrets, illumination, and a zerostop. The zerostop is the least important but should be included. If they would do these things, the 3-15 and 5-20 would be all the scopes I own.

The 5-20 already has 10 mil turrets and illumination. No zero stop though.

I also really like the illumination on my 5-20. It illuminates a center dot only, and you can turn the brightness down low enough that it does not wash out the image or ruin your night vision. If you actually need to shoot something in low light conditions, it is excellent.

six month winters? i was just discussing with my son today, that in 2018, we had a 7 month long winter...and that is me being generous because october was pretty dang cold, too. wisconsin blows dick.

8 more years...then it is idaho, wyoming, or new mexico for me.

as far as swfa....i’d love to see them update the turrets on the classic models...the current ones blow. the single screw ones like the hd models have would be the ticket.

The 5-20 already has 10 mil turrets and illumination. No zero stop though.

I also really like the illumination on my 5-20. It illuminates a center dot only, and you can turn the brightness down low enough that it does not wash out the image or ruin your night vision. If you actually need to shoot something in low light conditions, it is excellent.
I have three 5-20 and I agree with everything you said about them. I like the low glow of the center dot myself. Some scopes illumination are so bright even on the lowest setting that it makes the target (pig in my case) fade away.

I was mainly refering to the 3-15 and fixed power scopes when I was talking about the 10 mil turrets and illumination. I do understand that most people dont use illumination. I dont use it but a few times a hear myself. I have The 3-15 on some crossover rifles, rifles that i use to shoot at the range and that I hunt with. The weakness of all FFP scopes is low light shooting when you have to turn the power way down to still make out an animal. The reticle gets so thin that it disappears. This is where illumination makes or brakes an FFP scope. No illumination then it isnt good to hunt with. Too bright of illumination then it isnt good to hunt with. For any other shooting nom illuminated FFP scopes are fine and i have a bunch.

If he makes a stop in Iowa on his way through (in January or February) he’ll likely turn back?. We got ya’ covered ?.

LMAO

Think again

I’ve spent a goodly amount of time in Oulu, Finland. There is nothing in the US that rivals that kind of cold. Oh and BTW, we were also snowmobiling in the Lapland areas not too far from the Arctic circle.

However, @Bender is safe...I can’t afford Wyoming

LMAO

Think again

I’ve spent a goodly amount of time in Oulu, Finland. There is nothing in the US that rivals that kind of cold. Oh and BTW, we were also snowmobiling in the Lapland areas not too far from the Arctic circle.

However, @Bender is safe...I can’t afford Wyoming
That’s right, we have 98% state income tax. It’s overcrowded here already.

I have both the 10xss and HD. Now if they only came out with a tree reticle in the 3-15 and 5-20 I’d be all over it. Or an HD 3-15
Is the HD worth the extra cash? I’ve had the base model 10x and loved it. My only complaint was it’s light gathering capabilities in low light situations.

Is the HD worth the extra cash? I’ve had the base model 10x and loved it. My only complaint was it’s light gathering capabilities in low light situations.
That will be a problem with and 10x scope with a 42mm objective. Its one of the limitations with the setup. Better glass will have an advantage. I have a HD model for sale in the exchange. Buy it and let us know the difference.

The fact that you use cuneiform and hieroglyphs implies that you are highly intelligent
Nah, I’m just a mouth breather here in Wyoming using my clay tablet and wedge stylus surfing the web with my Sumerian level technology.

Do you think they make a balsitic solver engine for rocks out of a sling?

Interesting read. My 5-20x50 came yesterday and the base and rings from Brownell came today. SWFA had the non illumination model $110 less at $779. both were $520 under list and still listed on sale. My retired Marine buddy insisted I needed this.... He will help explain the need to the comptroller.

I'll vouch for the WY wind- son in law lives in Big Piney that claims to have the coldest yearly average temp of any state including AK

Comparison with Viper 4-16 x 44 on my Vanguard -06.

1 sc.jpg