• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors What's the smallest trigger pull?

Tburkes

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2002
Bandera, Texas
I'm trying to find a pistol that will fit my wife's hand and am having a hard time. She's got really small hands and we're having hell finding something she can get a good firing grip on without having to crawl her hand around to get proper trigger finger placement.

9mm is the smallest I want to go and if I could find a .45 she'd go with that.

I want to stay with either a 9 or 45 since that's what I have ammo for currently and don't want to worry about another caliber.

She has committed to training with the pistol and wants an auto, not a revolver.

So far we've tried:

Sig P239, way too long on the double action initial round.

Haven't found any Glocks that will fit her hand of any size.

1911 pistols, too long and don't want to worry about the grip safety, thumb safety either.

Kahr 9mm, yeah, it fit okay, but I don't like those things and the trigger reset is crazy long.

She shot an M&Pc 9mm today and it almost fits her, almost. She's still got to roll her hand a small amount to get good trigger placement and that is causing her to struggle to recover from recoil a bit.

Has anyone out there had this problem before and found a quality pistol that worked out for them?

Re: What's the smallest trigger pull?

Tried a 19 today Frank, it was still too long. Can the Glocks have a shorter trigger installed? It wasn't the trigger weight, but he length of pull that's the problem. I'll bet Kiana has longer fingers than April does.

Haven't tried the Walther, I'll check them out, thanks.

man... if all those are too long, the only thing I can think of is a 1911.. I know you said it was too long also, but most of the ones you find today have the A1 trigger, the long one. 1911s commonly have a short, medium, and long (A1) trigger. 1911s have one of the smallest, most ergonomic grips of and combat auto, they're particualy liked be shooters with small hands.

you also mentioned the grip safety, it's passive, don't even think about it unless she has a problem engaging it, then add a beavertail with a bump, commonly called a "memory groove".

you also mentioned the thumb safety, again it has options, they make several sizes and shapes to fit different shooters, and with just a little training disengaging it becomes part of the draw, and it becomes a non issue.

hope this helps a little

Springfield Armory EMP 9mm, 1911 trigger has no equal, short pull and short reset.

I'd say have her try a 1911 with the super thin/low profile grips, and a short trigger. The safeties are off if she is holding right, they are really intuitive and easy to get used to.

Tony did you try the Glock 19 Gen 4? They slimmed down the grip and if its to small they have backstraps that come with the pistol. Also they put a dual recoil spring in it that makes the recoil more of a gentle push than a snap.

Might try it and see. If you looked at the Gen 4 then disregard.

My wife shoots my Smith & Wesson MP and I have the short trigger kit in it. She does just great with it.

Sig P238 is also another easy one for her to shoot.

M&P, preferably in 9, use the small grip insert.

or, my choice for carry, the Springfield EMP, which comes with thin grips already

Just measured around the grip and trigger on a Kel-Tec P3AT. It was 6.5".

Glock G38 (.45 GAP but roughly the same size as the .40 S&Ws) was 7.25".

Kahr PM40 (same size as PM9) was 6.75".

Walther PP was 7" uncocked, 6.75" cocked.

S&W 626 .357 revolver was 7.5" uncocked, 7.25 cocked.

NAA Mini-Mag .22WMR was 5".

All measurements were a complete loop taken roughly parallel to the barrel with a hank of 550 cord.

Hey thank you all very much for all of the suggestions, there's hope yet!

I just found out the M&P she shot yesterday had the medium backstrap. I'll check it with the small and see how it goes.

I've got several 1911's and they're too long as is. I think I'll pull the grips off of one and see if she can reach like that as a simulation of really thin grips. Does anyone know how much shorter a short trigger is versus a standard trigger?

I don't know what Gen the Glock was Austin, I'll have to check that out.

Adam, I didn't know the M&P could have a short trigger kit. I'm not surprised the guy at the gun store didn't even suggest the small back strap or shorter trigger. That's the first time I've asked anyone at a gun store a question in years. The advice was worth what I paid for it.

762frmafr, sorry don't remember your name, nice talking to you at SHOT though, thanks for the suggestion.

Didn't think about the Springfield EMP, I'll look at that one too.

Jeez Fred, thank you for going to all that trouble. I have something to go from now. I appreciate the effort you took.

No Back strap, well I hadn't thought about that, but if it comes to it we'll see.

Springfield XDM. I have one and can't shoot it for shit because my finger wants to go half way thru the trigger guard when I shoot it. Good gun, shoots good, grip way to F@$Ken small for a man's hand.

Have to agree with the EMP. It's a tried and true design (1911) and with a short trigger and thinned down grips installed, it would be the easiest 9mm pistol for small hands to operate. I'm unaware of any aftermarket short triggers currently available, but the one trigger I found could be easily shortened and has an adjustable stop, so it would be a worthwhile $25 addition.

Boy does that sound familiar. I let my wife and girls shoot everything I had. As they all carry and shoot a lot. I bought them each whatever they felt they would be comfortable with. All my friends stepped up and made everything available to them. They had the time of their lives working through everything.

In the end? Out went ever automatic.
In the end? Out went all the .45s and the 9mm as well.

In the end? They carry a S&W J frame 38 and never looked back. Why? Scandium is super light, the frame was made for small hands, no snag, no safety, laser grips. They carry 638s and shoot both DA and SA. With the shielded hammer, they got the best of both worlds, in SA that trigger is perfect.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/s...playErrorView_Y

I've seen them NIB for as cheap as $284.

Good luck.

Try the Walther PPS. I carry mine (9mm version) in Galco Ankle Glove. The grip and trigger are way small. It took my months or range time to get to where I wouldn't have the trigger on my first knuckle instead of the fingertip.

Also, Glock 26 is a good choice. Or, as was mentioned before, the Gen 4 Glocks have backstraps that can be changed out to adjust the grip thickness.

For a small woman the Glock 26 is a terrible choice in my opinion. Its really too small, and I have found that a small woman will actually do MUCH better with a fullsize Glock due to the added weight soaking up some of the recoil.