• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing What's this crud on my revolver

ERdept

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2008
Orange County, Kali.
This is a S&W 625 shooting only FMJ's. I can get each cylinder and it's forcing cone clean and the barrel clean, except for the first point of contact where the bullet leaves the cylinders and enters the barrel.

I used Break Free CLP and EEZOX and a wire brush but it won't budge.

Can you tell me what it is and how to remove it. It's grey and plaque-like, very hard.

0504092326_0001.jpg

Re: What's this crud on my revolver

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swedish guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Crystaline carbon, I would guess

hard as hell..

That is no good,

/Chris </div></div>

What should I use to remove it?

it would be interesting to measure the forcing cone for both diameter and the angle at which it is cut. S&W is at times hit and miss for proper focing cone specs. Might be a bit undersized

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parga</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it would be interesting to measure the forcing cone for both diameter and the angle at which it is cut. S&W is at times hit and miss for proper focing cone specs. Might be a bit undersized </div></div>

Well, I would not know how to do that, but, that may be a task for later.

At this time, I'd like to get the stuff off.

For heavy carbon like that I find it's easiest to soak it in a good solvent (take your pick) and then attack it with a dental pick.

Solvent alone will take a while but the pick will pull the scale off and allow the solvent to get under it and do its thing.

Use something like the Lewis lead remover with the brass screen patches to scour that buildup off.

Looks just like the carbon build up on the bolt tail of a gas gun. Like someone said soak and pick probably the best bet - is that gun all stainless? they are right? never owned one. If any part is nickle plated soaking in solvent is not good. I gave up on getting bolt tails completely clean but obviously this is different and could be a problem. Good luck - let us know what works!

Try some slip 2000 carbon remover, fastest I have found for cleaning throats and cylinders.

I had bad carbon buildup in the compensator of the handme down 1911. I soaked it in hoppes solvent then used a flat jewelers screwdriver to scrape. What little was leftover I used my brother in law ultrsonic scrubber to remove

Get some copper chore boy (copper scub pad). Cut a piece off and wrap it around an old borebrush. Wet patch the bore with solvent, then put some solvent on the chore boy and run that back and forth.

That takes it out very well. The copper chore boy can't scratch the barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ERdept</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is a S&W 625 shooting only FMJ's. I can get each cylinder and it's forcing cone clean and the barrel clean, except for the first point of contact where the bullet leaves the cylinders and enters the barrel.

I used Break Free CLP and EEZOX and a wire brush but it won't budge.

Can you tell me what it is and how to remove it. It's grey and plaque-like, very hard.

0504092326_0001.jpg
</div></div>

I would use either MPro 7 Gun Cleaner http://www.mp7.com or Blue Wonder Gun Cleaner http://www.bluewonder.us to remove it. Those two should work.

OK, thanks guys. I want to shoot and can't wait to buy the stuff, so I got the chore boy, and some slip 2000.

The Lewis looked good. I have it on order.