• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's this Return Stock Worth?

Sniff

Private
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2003
New Zealand
I posted this in the Bolt Action Rifles section a few days ago and it was suggested I might get a better answer here in Vintage.

I am considering selling my USMC M40A1 return stock and bottom metal. I did have plans to get a clone built or put the stock on my TBA M40A1 but realistically I'm not going to get another M40A1.

What's it worth? Just to complicate things, it's located in New Zealand, not the USA. Should be simple to export it if needed.

Well used and scratched up, just as I got it from McMillan. I didn't get a certificate with it but there's no mistaking what it is.

mwhfIlp.jpg

qzMcctm.jpg

Not sure how export would work... but I'd guess at an ebay or gunbroker auction it may fetch 2-3k+ USD . Not having a certificate may matter to some folks.

Buy the stock, not the story. Verifiable provenance is important to some…

Reactions: ZG47A
The big hesitancy, in my opinion, is the location of your item. To some, it may not be an issue. To others, it might seem like a scam or they won’t want to chance it getting lost being shipped to, potentially, the United States.

The big hesitancy, in my opinion, is the location of your item. To some, it may not be an issue. To others, it might seem like a scam or they won’t want to chance it getting lost being shipped to, potentially, the United States.
I can do (almost) anything reasonable to show it's not a scam.

I'm trying to work out the airfreight costs from NZ t the US via different methods and carriers so, if I do sell it, the freight cost would be already known.

Last edited:
Reactions: USMCsean
I got my forest for 4500. A big part of me was hoping dude was gonna outbid me.

He didn’t…… then I got sick to my stomach.. but I got over it. 😂
Haha. It was probably me. I was thinking the same thing. "I want this but please out bid me. I can't pay $4k plus for a stupid stock." Haha.

• Haha
Reactions: HogsLife
Haha. It was probably me. I was thinking the same thing. "I want this but please out bid me. I can't pay $4k plus for a stupid stock." Haha.
It’s pretty ridiculous man. I had forest I sold for like $1200 10-12 years ago and here I now dropping almost 5k for it.

Yeah I though it may have been you when you said something earlier. Haha dammit man. 😂well it’s on its way to GAP rn to get built

Reactions: mdarnell19
It’s pretty ridiculous man. I had forest I sold for like $1200 10-12 years ago and here I now dropping almost 5k for it.

Yeah I though it may have been you when you said something earlier. Haha dammit man. 😂well it’s on its way to GAP rn to get built
Yep, they're getting expensive for sure...good ones (little to no damage with vibrant colors) are nearly impossible to find. AND if you locate one it's gonna be "big bucks" with lots of competition. The rarest ones IMO are the original painted examples and with "original" cheek pad. Seems everyone HAD to see the camo color pattern and strip the originality off. Matching stock and painted Unertl scope are the rarest combination by far...I've only seen 2 real sets. OY! HAHAHA :rolleyes:

Attachments

• m40a1 camo original.PNG
    m40a1 camo original.PNG
    3.3 MB · Views: 118
  • m40a1 sg.PNG
    m40a1 sg.PNG
    3.6 MB · Views: 118
Yep, they're getting expensive for sure...good ones (little to no damage with vibrant colors) are nearly impossible to find. AND if you locate one it's gonna be "big bucks" with lots of competition. The rarest ones IMO are the original painted examples and with "original" cheek pad. Seems everyone HAD to see the camo color pattern and strip the originality off. Matching stock and painted Unertl scope are the rarest combination by far...I've only seen 2 real sets. OY! HAHAHA :rolleyes:
That’s hands down the nicest paired set I’ve seen to date. Don’t think it gets any better than that. Beautiful

Reactions: mark caracci
Curious if ours spent time around each other. Cheek piece is gone but fortunately paint remains.
Screenshot_20230830_165739_Gallery.jpg

yeah forest pattern are cool and all but they all but they look the same for the most part. Now the smears each had a unique look and their own character. I dig the paint, but I also like to se the character in the smear job as well. They both cool.

Here's one with (Scout Sniper) and a band of "white"... can we say "mountain war training." I traded a Remington 700 to a McMillan Stock employee for it back in 2013. The employee had it under his desk at the shop. ;)

Attachments

• m40a1.PNG
    m40a1.PNG
    2.2 MB · Views: 109
Here's one with (Scout Sniper) and a band of "white"... can we say "mountain war training." I traded a Remington 700 to a McMillan Stock employee for it back in 2013. The employee had it under his desk at the shop. ;)

I like to to see the "Scout Sniper" letters on a painted stock 😉

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230831_141416_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230831_141416_Gallery.jpg
    874.1 KB · Views: 74