• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing What's this "screw" in an M1A receiver?

Gene Poole

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2011
Brighton, IL
This is a Polytech M1A receiver I want to rebarrel with a surplus military barrel I've got laying around, but I've never seen this before in an M1A/M14 receiver. Looks like some kind of set screw or a staked pin of some kind to hold the barrel in place (as if the torque on these babies wasn't enough already). Anyone seen this before? Do I remove it (it looks staked in place) before attempting the barrel removal?

Re: What's this "screw" in an M1A receiver?

Gene,
Yes it is a set screw and does need to be removed to get the barrel off. All 3 of my Poly's have this. If you can get hold of a copy of "The M14 Complete Assembly Guide" by Walt Kuleck and Clint McKee it covers removing this set screw. It can be a bugger but not impossible.

Re: What's this "screw" in an M1A receiver?

No reverse threads that I know of, but they do have metric threads on the muzzle where the flash hider connects and metric threads on the gas block. With a new barrel, you get good old GI threads on the muzzle and a GI gas block will take care of that.