• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's up with McGowen?

glock24

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 14, 2006
    West Michigan
    I'm curious to know if anyone has dealt with McGowen barrels lately? I thought I read something recently about a change in ownership, but i'm not sure if that is correct.

The reason for my interest stems from an 8 week delay (and counting) in my barrel order, and a lack of reponse to e-mail and telephone messages. I'd like to know more about what I have gotten myself into . . .

Thanks

Re: What's up with McGowen?

Glock,

I have a McGowen barrel on my Tikka. It took 2 to get it right, but this one is a fine barrel and I'm quite happy, but I got mine a year ago. Things have not been going well over there ( I live in the same city). Lots of turnover, etc...

I don't know if you followed this thread or not...

http://www.snipercentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26940&highlight=

I hope they get their shit together. I believed strongly enough in supporting local businesses to try them out. Jury is still out.

Good luck and keep us informed.

John

Not sure if this pertains to your order or not, but they have had to reorder tooling for .264-8 twist rifling. I was told they expect to have new tooling in about 2 months.

Thanks guys. This explains a lot about what I'm experiencing.

Fortunately, I ordered a .224-7 barrel. Hopefully that tooling is in good shape!

I was about to order one for my current build, but my smith told me some problems that he had recently had with one barrel. It was enough for me to spend a few bucks more and get a Shilen Stainless Select. PM me if you want to the know the specifics. Other than that, the people who get good ones love them, and they plain ole shoot from what I have seen. My .02