• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Whats up with the leg breaks in the UFC? (Graphic)

UKDslayer

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 29, 2005
    Texas
    Two leg breaks in 3 events? For those who didn't watch, UFC 264 Dustin Poirier vs. Conor McGregor, Conor broke his tibia.

Last edited:
    I don’t follow any fighting organizations but are any of these fighters on a plant based diet? That could definitely be a factor

Was his leg break the result of an earlier leg strike?

Hi,

Dustin says he thinks it fractured when he "checked" one of the earlier kicks and when McDoucheNugget torqued it upon that odd step that the fracture split/broke.

Sincerely,
    Theis

I don’t follow any fighting organizations but are any of these fighters on a plant based diet? That could definitely be a factor

Hi,

I have never heard of any of the fighters being plant based diet; BUT it is proven that they loose bone density during their weight cutting phase of training camp leading up to the official weigh-in.

Guaranteed the examining doctors and fighters coaches now what % of the weight cut is bone density.

That is just 1 of the dangers of walking around at 205-210lbs but fighting at 165-170lbs and such.

Sincerely,
    Theis

Hi,

I have never heard of any of the fighters being plant based diet; BUT it is proven that they loose bone density during their weight cutting phase of training camp leading up to the official weigh-in.

Guaranteed the examining doctors and fighters coaches now what % of the weight cut is bone density.

That is just 1 of the dangers of walking around at 205-210lbs but fighting at 165-170lbs and such.

Sincerely,
    Theis
    I can’t imagine any fighter would be plant based, that’s a terrible idea. But I also wouldn’t think any football players would be plant based either. I know there are some, not sure specifics, and also know that a few in the past where plagued by injuries after the change

Reactions: THEIS
    So we've got a sport where highly-trained athletes beat the shit out of each other until one of them gives up or is rendered unconscious, and we are surprised by a series of bone breaks? :unsure: For our next topic, let's discuss why rally drivers are getting into so many car crashes...

No idea if McGregor or any other top-tier fighter is on a plant-based diet. Seems like James Wilks would be the guy to ask. He's annoying as fuck (reference his 2019 debate with Chris Kresser on Rogan's show), but he does make some sort of a case for plant-based diets. At this point, it should be obvious that the human body readily adapts to many different diets. McGregor would still be a dangerous human being on nothing but Oreos and cigarettes. Can't imagine that an issue like low calcium or magnesium (which often leads to low calcium, per my dad's orthopedic surgeon) would go missed and untreated in an athlete at this level. He's probably getting blood drawn on a daily basis to look at a wide variety of markers.

With results to the above comment on bone density, this is true of many athletes who are on calorie restrictions or who simply apply an excess load of training stress (especially low-intensity aerobic endurance work). But I really can't imagine that a fighter would suffer from these issues in the same way that some runners and cyclists do, because their strength and power training would be the very definition of "load bearing exercise" (and indeed the medical literature suggests this is the case). Seems like the most likely reason for the break is that a pre-existing injury let go at an inconvenient moment. Happens in a lot of sports, and it sucks.

Reactions: Mwalex and The D
    Selling your shitty whisky business for $600M makes you soft AF 😂

• Haha
    Reactions: UKDslayer
    So we've got a sport where highly-trained athletes beat the shit out of each other until one of them gives up or is rendered unconscious, and we are surprised by a series of bone breaks? :unsure: For our next topic, let's discuss why rally drivers are getting into so many car crashes...

No idea if McGregor or any other top-tier fighter is on a plant-based diet. Seems like James Wilks would be the guy to ask. He's annoying as fuck (reference his 2019 debate with Chris Kresser on Rogan's show), but he does make some sort of a case for plant-based diets. At this point, it should be obvious that the human body readily adapts to many different diets. McGregor would still be a dangerous human being on nothing but Oreos and cigarettes. Can't imagine that an issue like low calcium or magnesium (which often leads to low calcium, per my dad's orthopedic surgeon) would go missed and untreated in an athlete at this level. He's probably getting blood drawn on a daily basis to look at a wide variety of markers.

With results to the above comment on bone density, this is true of many athletes who are on calorie restrictions or who simply apply an excess load of training stress (especially low-intensity aerobic endurance work). But I really can't imagine that a fighter would suffer from these issues in the same way that some runners and cyclists do, because their strength and power training would be the very definition of "load bearing exercise" (and indeed the medical literature suggests this is the case). Seems like the most likely reason for the break is that a pre-existing injury let go at an inconvenient moment. Happens in a lot of sports, and it sucks.
    All points taken except the James Wilks case. There are plenty of breakdowns of his documentary and what nonsense it is

All points taken except the James Wilks case. There are plenty of breakdowns of his documentary and what nonsense it is

I'm sure there are effective takedowns of Wilks' documentary - but Kresser certainly as hell wasn't the guy to deliver it.

I'm not about to waste my remaining precious days on this earth arguing in the internet about diets. I will say that any arguments which do not take into account an individual's metabolism, goals, and activities is little more than useless bloviation, since there is no one-size-fits-all solution, and since the body generally has some level of adaptation. The needs of someone who rides an office chair 50 hours/week with occasional gym sessions with an energy expenditure of a couple hundred calories is substantially different than that of a professional athlete, and that's without getting into genetics or epigenetic differences.

My power meter claims I burned 1275 calories during this morning's mountain bike ride. I decided to honor the traditions of this area and refueled with a pasty - a pastry filled with meat, potatoes, and vegetables. Topped it with gravy and not ketchup because I'm not a savage. Pretty good dose of all three macronutrients + the most essential electrolyte (salt).

Reactions: The D
    I'm sure there are effective takedowns of Wilks' documentary - but Kresser certainly as hell wasn't the guy to deliver it.

I'm not about to waste my remaining precious days on this earth arguing in the internet about diets. I will say that any arguments which do not take into account an individual's metabolism, goals, and activities is little more than useless bloviation, since there is no one-size-fits-all solution, and since the body generally has some level of adaptation. The needs of someone who rides an office chair 50 hours/week with occasional gym sessions with an energy expenditure of a couple hundred calories is substantially different than that of a professional athlete, and that's without getting into genetics or epigenetic differences.

My power meter claims I burned 1275 calories during this morning's mountain bike ride. I decided to honor the traditions of this area and refueled with a pasty - a pastry filled with meat, potatoes, and vegetables. Topped it with gravy and not ketchup because I'm not a savage. Pretty good dose of all three macronutrients + the most essential electrolyte (salt).
    Yeah, Kresser definitely fumbled that conversation. He even admitted as much on a different podcast( Fundamental Health with Dr Paul Saladino). All of the breakdowns of Wilks’ documentary, that I’ve seen, focus solely on the terrible data presented and the flimsy arguments drawn from it.

The biggest problem I have with the plant based conversation is that the people behind the hype are the same people that are behind green energy, climate change, & electric vehicles. All of these people point to “dire consequences” if their demands aren’t met and start shrieking incoherently if they are questioned.

My opinion on the diet debate is; if your diet works for you then stick to it. If you start having some health problems or weight gain, there are some general recommendations that will work everyone

Reactions: E. Bryant
    I know the Diaz brothers are on a plant only diet. I havent heard if any other fighters are.
    They’re not plant only. They eat fish and I think they eat eggs also, just mostly plants

edit: I think I heard this on one of the Rogan episodes during the plant/animal diet period a while ago and maybe somewhere else. He very well could be fully plant based

Last edited:
    My bet is bone density (loss during weight cut) combined with an intense training camp, exacerbated by a leg kick/check during the fight.

I agree- couldn’t have happened to a better candidate. The only thing that would have made it better is if it had happened about 20 seconds earlier so that Poirier could have gotten the KO/TKO instead of a doctor’s stoppage. McGreggor yelling that it was a stoppage was comical, though he took the break like a fucking man.

I know the Diaz brothers are on a plant only diet. I havent heard if any other fighters are.

You are pretty much correct:

Old days Anthony Bourdain did a segment with them..

Last edited:
    For our next topic, let's discuss why rally drivers are getting into so many car crashes...
    Nobody is forcing you to look at this thread, or reply. I like to think I contribute to SH somewhat in being a relative "groundbreaker" early on (at least those who know me here) and now by contributing meaningful content & comment in other places like Portajohn. If I offend you, please put me on ignore.

• Haha
    Reactions: E. Bryant

The article quotes McGreggor's coach as saying that he had a bit of a leg injury in camp. Combine that with bone density loss during weight cut, and the damage caused by throwing a kick and "bob's your uncle."

I read something recently that said low leg kicks are a relatively recent development in MMA. Historically, leg kicks were thrown to the thigh, but if you miss low or your opponent raises the leg to check the kick, you wind up kicking the hardest part of the leg (side of the knee). Throwing a low leg kick into the calf, on the other hand, will deaden the foot and if you miss low, you don't risk the same damage to your own leg that you would with a checked thigh kick. But, all of those kicks to the calf are targeted at a much weaker area than the thigh. That part of your leg just can't take the damage that your thigh can.

It used to be that "what are you going to do, kick him in the shin?" was a pejorative. Now it's a viable professional fighting tactic...

Reactions: Supersubes