• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's up with this throat?

Ffjmoore

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2019
Behind enemy lines comifornia
I built 2 rifle in the last month with barrels from 2 companies. The carbon 6 barrel had some problems I posted in another thread. The second barrel is from proof. Now it's on the very edge of sammi spec for 7 mag. Max is .227, using my .223 nogo gauge and a few pieces of scotch tape I found my head space to be about .226. I'm still waiting on a field gauge to confirm but the minimum is .220 and they are not even close to that. Now look at this throat, my guess is the remer was not the tightest fit and favored one side over the other. What do you think? Should I bring it to their attention or is this just what I should expect from companies turning out barrels.
WIN_20211006_20_14_35_Pro.jpg

Now it's on the very edge of sammi spec for 7 mag. Max is .227, using my .223 nogo gauge and a few pieces of scotch tape I found my head space to be about .226. I'm still waiting on a field gauge to confirm but the minimum is .220 and they are not even close to that.
What the hell does this mean?

Head space is measured to the Datum line at 2.12” with a .420 datum gauge on normal cases but in reality it’s from base to front of belt on a belted magnum and .220-227.
So .226 would be in range.

If reamer cuts more to one side that’s a set up/dial in issue

Last edited:
.220 inches is the head space on the go gauge. .223 inches is the length of the no go gauge.
I added tape to the back of the no go, bringing the length to .226 inches which is .001 under the max of .227 inches.

Last edited:
Measure the belts on your brass
If its only growing 6 thou I wouldn’t worry about it.
If your measuring all this with calipers your numbers could easily be suspect.

Reactions: 1moaoff
Measure the belts on your brass
If its only growing 6 thou I wouldn’t worry about it.
If your measuring all this with calipers your numbers could easily be suspect.
I’ve never reloaded for a belted cartridge, so I may be out of line, but do the belts actually grow during firing?

I’ve owned a bore scope for years however one thing I have never done nor will I ever do is use it on a rifle barrel.

If it shoots to your expectations (accounting for shooter and ammo) and functions normally that’s all you need to know.

Reactions: JohnCarter17
@Ffjmoore
What are you torquing your action to? (ft.lbs.)
What action is this barrel for?
As for the throat, it looks like one of the lands is still partially there. I've seen worse to the point that it effected seating depth and the barrel shot like shit.

@Ffjmoore
What are you torquing your action to? (ft.lbs.)
What action is this barrel for?
As for the throat, it looks like one of the lands is still partially there. I've seen worse to the point that it effected seating depth and the barrel shot like shit.
It's torqued to 80.
It's a tikka t3

Yes the throat looks to have a lands still there. It's shooting "ok" so far. I just expected better from proof.

As for worse, I have a carbon 6 barrel that the rounds get jammed in the throat and are super hard to extract unfired.

Reactions: FisherT&C
Remind me to never have you look at my barrels.

Anyway... I think we are still looking far a d explanation on your numbers that make 100% sense

• Haha
Reactions: Steel head
It's torqued to 80.
It's a tikka t3

Yes the throat looks to have a lands still there. It's shooting "ok" so far. I just expected better from proof.

As for worse, I have a carbon 6 barrel that the rounds get jammed in the throat and are super hard to extract unfired.
The Tikkas can vary a little with head space but I've never found more than a .002 variation myself. I don't know where proof sets their dimensions on a Tikka prefit. As for loading a belted magnum, I would use a bump gauge and set your die for a .002 bump max on the shoulder. That way the cartridge is head spacing like a non-belted cartridge. As you can see on the SAAMI chamber drawing there is a +.010 allowance at the datum line so belted cartridges tend to fire fire form significantly so if you size it back too much you can over work the brass. I don't think your head space dimensions are dangerous but if your over resizing the brass you could get case head separation. I'm just trying to help, not attempting to insult your intelligence.

Reactions: DIBBS
The Tikkas can vary a little with head space but I've never found more than a .002 variation myself. I don't know where proof sets their dimensions on a Tikka prefit. As for loading a belted magnum, I would use a bump gauge and set your die for a .002 bump max on the shoulder. That way the cartridge is head spacing like a non-belted cartridge. As you can see on the SAAMI chamber drawing there is a +.010 allowance at the datum line so belted cartridges tend to fire fire form significantly so if you size it back too much you can over work the brass. I don't think your head space dimensions are dangerous but if your over resizing the brass you could get case head separation. I'm just trying to help, not attempting to insult your intelligence.
Not insulted at all. Here to learn. Good info. So to confirm, your saying to use my full length die, but set it up to only bump the shoulder .002 back.

It's torqued to 80.
It's a tikka t3

On the Carbon 6 have you tried shortening your COL? Sounds like a HARD jam into the lands or a burr in the chamber or oversized cases.

On the 7mag, whats the rifle weigh and how much have you shot heavy /heavier recoiling rifles?

It takes a fair amount of practice.

For the chamber... as another poster suggested...if it meets your accuracy requirements bump the shoulders -.002 and shoot the sumbitch. Life's too short .

On the Carbon 6 have you tried shortening your COL? Sounds like a HARD jam into the lands or a burr in the chamber or oversized cases.

On the 7mag, whats the rifle weigh and how much have you shot heavy /heavier recoiling rifles?

It takes a fair amount of practice.

For the chamber... as another poster suggested...if it meets your accuracy requirements bump the shoulders -.002 and shoot the sumbitch. Life's too short .
8lbs 1.6oz with the scope
IMG_20211004_165029_728.jpg

The carbon 6 is most definitely to narrow. You can see where it grabs the bullet.

Not insulted at all. Here to learn. Good info. So to confirm, your saying to use my full length die, but set it up to only bump the shoulder .002 back.
Yes, that way you'll get a better fit in the chamber and won't be over working your brass. Yes, on FL die.