• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's with HORNADY?

M25BeastShooter

Private
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2010
Pennsylvania
Just when I get a load for the 178 A-Max .308 they dry up?! I mean even at the distributors!! I have a FFL buddy who orders them for me but we can't find any. I know some bullets are in high demand or special but this isn't some obscure European MM caliber come on! its .308 for shooting long range not an odd hobby as rifle caliber shooting goes.

Hornady isn't some cottage custom bullet maker catering to a bunch of ballistic Jedi Knights they are on of the 3 big bullet ammunition companies.

This isn't the first time this has happened as I couldn't find their 75 A-Max .223 a while back for my 600 yard service rifle.

I've been waiting for months still no bullets

Guess Sierra is going to get my business as I can always find 175 Match Kings

Just me venting anyone else having this issue
Oh by the way don't give me a source where I'm going to pay 30% more for the same bullet

Re: What's with HORNADY?

I'll add my complaint about Hornady's 178 amax.

Why not package them in more than 100 count boxes. 250 or 500 would be great.

I guess if they can't make enough to fill boxes of 100, I shouldn't hold my breath for more.

It ain't gonna get any better. This has been going on since Nov. of '08. And with things going like they are, components will continue to be gobbled up as quick as they are produced. Keep cash on hand and be prepared to pounce on availability.

The 162gr Amax for my 7mm are hard to find also. I have seen adds that Hornady is changing the jackets for their match and Amax bullets, I think that is why they are scarce right now. Midway was showing July for having mine back in stock.

Bit of a bummer ey

Who wants to send hundreds of these down range when they seem to be difficult to get.

Have you thought about investing time into a projectile thats easier to get your hands on?

Looks like I need to start selling my approximately 3500 Hornady 178-gr AMAX bullets...

midway shows them in stock.
Just ordered 11 boxes, and use the promotional codes too

Seems to be an ongoing problem with Hornady. Waited six months last year for 223 60gr V-Max. I was told that they don't make their bullets continuously, they make a run and then shut down the machines for a while. Don't know if it is true or not, just what I was told by my supplier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gpz750</div><div class="ubbcode-body">midway shows them in stock.
Just ordered 11 boxes, and use the promotional codes too </div></div>

they had better not be! i have 6 boxes on backorder!

They do not shut down the machines. Machines that are shut down don't make money. To quote my Team Mate Tony who posted in one of the 208 AMAX threads that pop up when people can't find them. Not AMAX specific but will give you guys an idea that Hornady is making everything as fast as they can:

"I was on the phone with 2 main parties at Hornady last night getting info on the new release info that was pushed out today.

We get alot of inside information and do alot of info passing to them with info from the shooters we shoot with.

So we do have a very solid info base from within.

Some of the production stuff that many don't understand is that certain machines are used for the multiple bullets. Those machines take a day or so to convert and set up a new caliber. So they dont stop a machine making ammo just to make a run of something else. The loss of down time for machines not running is huge and would create a even bigger back log.

So they tend to do big runs on bullets until the machine either breaks down, needs work, or ammo isnt to spec which means they shut it down and make the switch out to another caliber.

There is alot more to it but in the end demand is huge!! They have monster size ammo orders from the large companies like midway and creedmoor and their other large distibutors.

The other main fact is that in the last 5 years Hornady has rapidly grown to become a leader in the tactical shooting arena with all there quality offerings. Alot of shooters are getting great accuracy and results from the Hornady line and the demand has went through the roof.

Hornady continues to buy more machinery and build more buildings to eventually help fill the demand for there products. But like anything it takes time.

But in the end machines are being ran at full production. Yes there is a shortage on 208's now. But the machines are still making money pumping out say 6.5 Creedmoor. When they run 208's we will eventually shoot up all the 178's and then there will be a shortage of them and so on and so on.

In the end there is only so many machines and a LARGE fan base that will buy up and create a shortage on multiple bullet types.

Add to the fact that the 168 Gr Amax is being loaded up in there TAP line for the military and Law Enforcement as well as being loaded up in the M1 Garand load for CMP at a lighting pace.

I also just called my guy again to confirm the info above and to make sure I have up to the second info for you.

The AMAX bullet is 100% not going anywhere!!!

There will also be a another product release tomorrow as well.

Also confirmed is large runs are completed entered in the system and shipped and ammo is on back order within minutes."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M25BeastShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just when I get a load for the 178 A-Max .308 they dry up?!
</div></div>

I love the 178 amax. I have about 300 of them sitting here as well as 200 rounds loaded up with them. If you can't get them then consider the nosler 175 bulk packs or for 30cents a bullet you can have lapua scenar bulk packs.

As far as changing your load goes my 178 amax load and my 175 nosler load are .5 grains apart with slightly longer COAL for nosl.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 5x5GUY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll add my complaint about Hornady's 178 amax.

Why not package them in more than 100 count boxes. 250 or 500 would be great.

I guess if they can't make enough to fill boxes of 100, I shouldn't hold my breath for more. </div></div>

You think they would have thought of that by now!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armymedic.2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gpz750</div><div class="ubbcode-body">midway shows them in stock.
Just ordered 11 boxes, and use the promotional codes too </div></div>

they had better not be! i have 6 boxes on backorder! </div></div>

Hope you get them soon then. They showed to be in stock last night so I ordered 11 boxes as fast as I could.

scheels in bismark nd had about 10 boxes of the 178 amax today.

Seems every spring there are shortages in alot of bullet components as civilians start thinking of the new shooting season and sending in big orders.

Makes sense hornady would make sure loaded ammo stays available as much as possible.

Makes sense to order starting in the fall and building up your supply for spring.

Hornady has grown from SMK's bastard relation to carving the bird at most matches.

Like roses for your baby, if you want them delivered on Valentine's Day you had best order them way in advance.

(thank God mine hate cut flowers)

I just ordered 3 boxes of the 178gr. AMAX from Midsouth Shooters Supply. Showed in stock. HTH

Am I missing something because they are showing in stock at Midway as well? I've only just started shooting the A-max but I haven't had any issues getting them.

First time in a few months that midway has shown them in stock. Seems like about a 3 month cycle with midway and 178amaxs.