• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing What's Wrong with My Bolt?

David S

Private
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2012
Hi all,

I have a problem I just encountered with a newly completed .260 Ackley. Whenever I dry fire the rifle the bolt lever jumps a little bit. If I have the bolt pressed all the way down and dry fire, it'll jump a good bit. So now I have two questions:

(1) What is causing this? Do I just need the bolt knob to sit a tiny bit higher when fully locked? So could a little discreet, tastefully blended spot welding fix 'er and be done?

(2) How much of a problem is it? Especially, does it hurt accuracy at all?

Thanks in advance,

David

Re: What's Wrong with My Bolt?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does it do this with a fired case in the chamber?</div></div>
Hi bohem,

Only in certain circumstances. If I push the bolt down as far as it'll go, then yes, the lever will jump back up a bit even with a case in the chamber. If, though, I only push the bolt to the point where it just starts to contact the frame, then the lever won't move at all if I've a case in there. Now, when I dry fire with the lever at that exact same "sweet spot" but with no case in the chamber, then it'll bounce up and right back down to its starting position.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stangfish</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it a Savage? </div></div>
Hi Stangfish,

No, this is on a trued Remington short action. The bolt and the knob are third-party parts. The trigger, unfortunately, is still just the stock Remington trigger, which seems to slap with quite a bit of force when it breaks.

Thanks, guys,

David

Sounds like the bolt handle is not timed perfectly. Does it have good primary extraction (i.e. does the extraction cam/ramp on the bolt line up right?). How bad does the handle jump? How does the gun shoot? It's probably not a big deal, but if it annoys you, you could slightly enlarge the cocking ramp cutout, reposition the handle on the bolt body, or like you said add a little blob of weld on the underside of the handle.

Oh, you also asked what's causing this. I think it's the cocking piece hitting the bolt body. Unscrew the shroud and firing pin assembly, then put the bolt back in the receiver and see how the cocking ramp cutout lines up with the trigger assembly. If the bolt body is turned a little too far then the edge of the cutout will start to interfere with the cocking piece when it's released by the trigger. Make sense?

what you describe so far isn't uncommon.

From you description, it's a timing issue...typical. Look at the cocking cam...does the bolt and receiver cam together properly...typically they don't causing a little play.

Don't lift the bolt to make it work...close the bolt all the way.

The fix...get the bolt timed, lap the lugs in, then fit the barrel properly.

Hi McFred, hi seanh,

Yeah, that makes perfect sense, actually. Thanks much for the help.

Yours,

David