• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's your age?

SJshooter

BTM FDR
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2011
Maryland
picasaweb.google.com
I'm curious what the age range is on here. I am especially interested how young some of the members are since I am still in high school. I am 16 to be exact, and I have been shooting since around 8 years old starting with airguns. I bought my first gun two years ago, a .223 which represented the first centerfire rifle I had shot until then.

Also, if you are an extreme of the age range: younger than 14 or older than 70+, it would be appreciated if you would post your age.

One side reason for doing this is I am wondering how motivated the younger group is to learn about shooting and others experiences.

Re: What's your age?

I'm 26...voted for 18-26 because I'm nearer to 18 than 40
smile.gif
I've been here since I was 17 though...

I am 34, and have been shooting since childhood. didnt get into long range until the military, and now im just trying to retain those skills.

37 here. I grew up in NJ - tried to get a 10/22 when I turned 18, but that was a fiasco.

I am 33 but have the weener of a 4 year old, which option do I click?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am 33 but have the weener of a 4 year old, which option do I click? </div></div>
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xFJHXqJ6s_w"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xFJHXqJ6s_w" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Hey SJ " I am 16 to be exact, and I have been shooting since around 8 hrs old starting with airguns".
You've been shooting since you were 8 hours old, damn I'm jealous. Just kidding, sixteen though I can't remember that age anymore. I think that means something but I forget.

Was 7 with first daisy red Rider, 12 with the single shot .410, 14 to the .22. early 20's after the military is when I started with my centerfire's and pistols.

LMAO-40 to infinity. Shooting & 1st BB gun @ 5. 1st .22 @ 12. I'm 48 and cut my liver off years ago. "You don't slow down, you never grow old"-Petty

Im 24 though I always got to think about it first...how sad is that! Been shooting/hunting since a young age.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: memyselfi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have been shooting since around 8 hrs old </div></div>

8 hours old? That's gotta be a record.

63 you little varmint.
I can still shoot and know how to put on my underwear.
Yellow in front, brown in the back.

No, <span style="font-weight: bold">not me</span> I was quoting <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">SJshooters</span></span>,that he was 8hrs old.

Heres a laugh I couldn't figure out how to put a sub-cat box in with the original post.

If you wear dark skivies there are no colored spots.

I first got into long range shooting at age 5 with my .410

I was learing from Headshot.308 or whoever he is now
wink.gif

I am 43 and have been shooting long range since the age of 7 when I got my Red Ryder. Oh they were much nicer then with vernier tang sights and globe front. Killed a sparrow at 152yds with that Red Ryder....or was it 152 inches, hell it's been so long I can't remember. All I know is it was 12 lengths of a fool, layed down and measured it myself.
For real I have been shooting since I was 7 and it was a Red Ryder. 410 single shot for 9th birthday,22 Remington Speedmaster for my 12th and 7mm Rem Mag for my 13th, still have the scope that came on that one. Had a beat up Krag carbine a few months before the 7mm. Owned enough firearms to start a gun store in 36years. Shooting competitve since mid 90's. Reloading since I was 13. Trapping since I was 10 and fishing since I was 4.
My one regret is the lack of a son to pass on all this knowledge. Daughters never have more than a passing interest in anything but fishing and even that is light amusement.

You were 14 when you bought your first rifle? What are your states laws on legal age of purchase of a rifle or long gun?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You were 14 when you bought your first rifle? What are your states laws on legal age of purchase of a rifle or long gun? </div></div>
Ok ok, you got me. It may have been stolen. But I plan to pay them back! I promise!!! No but seriously, I paid for it and everything having to do with it so far, it's just not in my name.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: memyselfi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have been shooting since around 8 hrs old </div></div>

8 hours old? That's gotta be a record.</div></div>
Absolutely. Actually my first shot was at 1000 yds.
But I corrected it to not everyone else feel bad. Thanks for the heads up on that error. I actually typed it while in school. Guess that shows how well I'm being taught lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You were 14 when you bought your first rifle? What are your states laws on legal age of purchase of a rifle or long gun? </div></div>

In the kid's defense. I paid for several firearms before I was 18. I made my own money on the trapline in winter and digging water and sewer ditches with a shovel in the summer. Daddy had never heard of child labor laws and I am thankful that he didn't. Momma may have filled out the paperwork but they were my guns as long as I was responsible and safe. Those were truly better times in this country.

memyselfi, glad you could find some humor in that, SJshooter, I don't think it matters much which way they are put on as to getting the other stain.
For jarheads and Navy people they were skivies
For Army they were drawers.
Didn't make a damn to me, while in RVN I never wore them as it was too hot.
I first started shooting with my Granpa's 38 Spl.
He gave me a Stevens bolt single shot 22 when I was 7 or 8.
My mother thought it was the shits and would take the bolt away.
She lost it, God only knows where that bolt is.
I recently got a bolt from Numrich.
I did what fitting I could and then took it to a local gunsmith and told him,"Make this work."
His reaction was, "This rifle isn't worth the work to make this work."
I told him to go ahead any way.
I now own probably the most expensive Stevens single shot rifle in all of Eastern Colorado and am in debt to the Smith that made it work.
It was worth it to me to get my first rifle back and shoot it again.
I will give it to my Grandson and show him how it works.
I the meantime, my Mother had no idea as to how much rifles would effect my life.
Had she known, I doubt the bolt would have been lost.
All of my kids have a Garand and know how to clean them and shoot them.
They all maintain a basic load of ammo, but do practice frequently.
Regards, FM

Well I saved up money from mowing lawns and bought a 45 acp when was 14. I gave Dad the money and he took me down to the gun store and let me pick out what ever I wanted.

I'm 26 now with a 5 1/2 year old boy and soon to be 2 year old girl. I started shooting when I was 4 years old with a marlin youth single shot .22lr. Both my older brothers also started shooting when they were 4 years old with the same marlin youth .22lr. My son started shooting when he turned 4 years old with the same passed down marlin youth .22lr and killed his first squirrel this year. So I guess you could say it's a family tradition that we hold very dear.

JB targeting a squirrel.
JBHUNT11s.jpg

Well, lets see....
I'm 20. Started with a daisy 111b at age 7. moved on to .22lr, 20ga, &12ga by age 12 at boy scout camp. Got a marlin 925 for Christmas at age 13. When I was 15 my grandfather passed and left me a couple guns. I bought up .22's cheap, cleaned & fixed them and sold them. When I turned 18 I bought a mossy 500, an old rem 1148, winchester 1200, various .22's, an M1 garand, an AR15, and recently a k98. I started to get into the appleseed thing but working to pay for school, rent, and guns seemed more important. But in the future I hope to return to helping out with that. I think that about covers it.

PS We hold rifle cleaning sessions, one
at a time so as not to mix parts and I have a strong right arm from reloading the brass to as close as I can get to M-2 Ball.
Regards, FM
I have given them all scoped rifles, as I acquired them' but all use "Short clips" to hold only a few rounds and be legal for hunting and use the Garands. All have been successful.
Only one fired more than 2 shots
She told me,"Dad I wasn't sure so I gave him another one."
I helped her dress out the elk and carry it to the truck.
Both shots were within 2 inches of the other and the critter was graveyard dead on the first shot but thrashed about a bit, so got a second one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: leagle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm 59 but my liver is 97 </div></div>

The liver is evil, it must be punished.

Boone, congrats on such good hunters in your family! I wish I grew up in a family with the same values and traditions as yours!

For those of you that reload, when did you start? I started this year, and I love it. Time consuming as it is, I get alot of satisfaction from shootin my own loads... Especially when they shoot the beat groups.

My only point was that you cant purchase a firearm underage. Im not calling the OP out. Its funny how every story starts with "well when I was 14 I went to buy my own gun, but my mom filled out the paperwork. It was for sure my gun though."

You just admitted to a straw purchase...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SJshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Boone, congrats on such good hunters in your family! I wish I grew up in a family with the same values and traditions as yours!

For those of you that reload, when did you start? I started this year, and I love it. Time consuming as it is, I get alot of satisfaction from shootin my own loads... Especially when they shoot the beat groups. </div></div>

Thanks.

I've only been reloading for less than a full year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My only point was that you cant purchase a firearm underage. Im not calling the OP out. Its funny how every story starts with "well when I was 14 I went to buy my own gun, but my mom filled out the paperwork. It was for sure my gun though."

You just admitted to a straw purchase... </div></div>

You really are a tool aren't you?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dagsta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well today i am older!!!!</div></div>

happy birthday ya geezer
wink.gif

SJshooter
I have only been reloading for about 40 years.
Just getting started.
I have taught my kids how to reload, much of it by them just being around when I did it.
"Daddy, why do you weigh each charge, why not just use the powder dump and load 10 then check it?"
After a while they all knew the powder dump wasn't accurate enough.
Now they say, "Daddy, I know each round will be the same as the last."
I have had a good life and passed on as much as I can to my kids.
Through garage sales, gun show etc. I have managed to provide all of them with everything they need to reload for themselves.
Life is good, just getting to the end of my rope.
Regards, FM

Happy birthday dagsta!!

Thanks for your service Giles and ReconFever. I hope someday I will be able to say something along those lines.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Foul Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SJshooter
I have only been reloading for about 40 years.
Just getting started.
</div></div>

Only 40 yrs!!!! Wow

I'll be 46 next Tuesday. I guess I was about 7 or 8 when my Papaw started letting me shoot his .22 rifle. I was 10yrs. old when my Dad bought me my first shotgun for Christmas. Pretty sure they weren't worried about straw purchases in 1975.

Turned 28 the end of August.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: phm14</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"You don't slow down, you never grow old"</div></div>

Hell dont slow down too much u just live into the adult diaper years!

I'm 33 and started buying centerfires shortly after EASing from the CORPS. Started buying them before I could afford them... Wait a minute now I like the HIGH DOLLAR toys I still cannot afford.

I am 35yrs old and didn't shoot much growing up. The Army more than made up for my deficit from earlier years. After I got out of the service I didn't shoot very much until recently. It has been a very expensive year...

35 here. Dad had me shooting as early as I can remember.

22, started shooting when i was 10. Learned on an old single shot .22lr, Winchester model 52 iirc. Recieved a Remington 597 for my birthday about a year later. Then got my first centerfire when i was 12, NEF handi-rifle in .243