• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Whats your BIG BORE?

EDELWEISS

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
I had two 50BMGs (first a State Arms bolt gun then a M107), sold them both. I just wasn't shooting them enuf' and certainly not at any kind of range. I ended up putting a EoTech on the 107, in case I was close for the next KillDozer event (or that big rock in my back yard ever attacked)

I thought about a 45-120 Quigley Sharps for a while, even thought about having one of the Pedersoli 45-70 Double Rifles re-chambered to 45-120. I bought a 338 Win for Bear hunting but ended up selling it and bought a 375H&H as my One Planet One Gun rifle.

I had a .577Nitro built on a Ruger No1, by JD Jones (the Hand Cannon guy). I planned to take a Cape Buffalo and maybe a Elephant with it; but decided I really wanted a Double rifle. I went shopping for a 500Nitro double, then I met Craig Boddington at the Harrisburg Outdoor show and he talked me out of the 500. He strongly suggested 470 Nitro was better for a Dangerous Game rifle. His biggest argument that stuck in my head was the availability of ammo issue. THAT has certainly proven true.

Now Im looking for a 4 Bore (as in each projo weights 1/4pound). Finding 8 Bore guns is "easier" and in reality neither is better than the 470; but theres something cool about a bullet almost the size of a golfball . I found a gunsmith that will make 8 and 4 Bore rifles in single and double barrel versions. He makes them in cartridge and percussion versions. I really want the cartridge version but the price difference is SIGNIFICANT as in 20+K more (and the percussion version cost more than my 470 Merkle). The problem is getting black powder to Afrika is a major PIA plus the BP locally available in Afrika isn't usually up to the same level as US stuff, so that means load development after arrival in country.

I still toy with wanting a 45-70 lever Gun. I really wish somebody would make a SxS shotgun with double rifled barrels OR even one rifled barrel and one smooth bore. Making twin rifled barrels is complicated (hence the cost) BUT a single rifled with a smooth bore beside it (or under) would be cheap.

WHATs your BIG BORE?

Reactions: brianf
Marlin 1895g 45-70 threaded for a suppressor biggest bore I have right now.

image.jpg

Oh and .45-70. Only picture I have
image.jpg

Last edited:
I stay with 45-70 and 458 Win magnum as the tops for standard rifle, (not including the .50 BMG).

I'm guessing .375 H&H would probably have better ammo availability in Safari type countries.

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
Ruger no.1 In .375 H&H
Winchester m70 In .375 H&H
Gibbs .72 cal muzzle loader

Thinking about looking for a No.1 in .458 lott

For a time, I had this gorgeous CZ 550FS in 9.3x62mm Mauser. I sold it to pay some bills and put a little towards my AIAT. In some ways I regret it (just look at the dang thing!), but then I think of the AI and how much more practical it is and how much more use it sees, and I get over it.

I think I’ll have to try and find another some day, though... :)

1CBDAACD-F92B-40F3-AA56-1D248D7BC650.jpeg

I also was and still looking into a sharps except i want the 45 110 so until i can reload my own ammo i have to wait to get one . its sad sort of having no ability to buy the ammo i am thinking that's life . Dam that Quigley movie and all those cool old westerns i watched as a kid and the rifle man and his tricked out rifle that hooked me in so easily . wont even start in on john wayne and clint cause there is no point i just love the guns portrayed in there movies and want them all .

W. L. Evans 1816 Type II Flintlock Musket
Springfield Arsenal 1942 Musket
Armalite AR-50 - .50 BMG
Weatherby Mk V Custom Deluxe - .460 Weatherby Magnum

Politicians.:oops:

Oh, you meant gunz.

Had a Barrett M82-1. Not much place to shoot them, most ranges wont allow them, but it was fun.

Are those yours? Speaking of tigers; I’ve been wanting a Howdah pistol too
Yes, they are mine. I have a small collection of dangerous game rifles, to include a 9.3 x72R swedish mauser used for moose and a limted edition Ruger No.1 in 450/400 Nitro Express 3".

My Lee- Enfield, .303, as modified by Greener, for big game
Lee enfield .303 (2).JPG

Lee Enfield .303.JPG

Ghost and the Darkness, Lee-Speed Enfield

Martini

Lancaster Howdah

I should probably keep an eye out for a Mossberg 500 rifled barrel (cheap).

Otherwise my biggest are .475 Linebaugh and .458 SOCOM, both pistols.

Yes, they are mine. I have a small collection of dangerous game rifles, to include a 9.3 x72R swedish mauser used for moose and a limted edition Ruger No.1 in 450/400 Nitro Express 3".

My Lee- Enfield, .303, as modified by Greener, for big game
View attachment 7055731

View attachment 7055732

Ghost and the Darkness, Lee-Speed Enfield

View attachment 7055736

Martini
View attachment 7055740

Lancaster Howdah
View attachment 7055742
Buffalo still wins on cool-factor!!!

Cheers, Sirhr

I have a Vortex cannon that has a bigger bore than yours.

The problem is it can only mess up someone's hair from across a room.

Are you limiting this question to shoulder fired stuff or can it be mounted? I have one that is tripod mounted but has a shoulder stock in 24mm with a bore of .973". Land diameter is about .943". It was used as an anti-tank rifle in WWII. Its in the first pic.

The other is just 20mm or .787" land and .815" groove. Its shoulder fired and was also an anti-tank rifle. We've run it at some machinegun shoots out west and hit steel out to 1000yds and larger targets out to about 1850 yds. Its a Solothurn S18-1000 built in 1941 and its great fun to shoot. About 625gr of powder for a 1500 gr slug at around 2900-3000 fps. 3rd and 4th pics
The ammo pic shows an original armor piercing 20 X 138B round, projectile weight 2300gr, A new loaded round using a 1530gr 20mm vulcan training/practice projectile, a 50 BMG AP round and an 8mm Mauser rifle cartridge.

Frank

Attachments

• mount low with travel lock engaged left rear qtr.jpg
    mount low with travel lock engaged left rear qtr.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 65
  • solo ammo comp 2.jpg
    solo ammo comp 2.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 136
  • Solo left.jpg
    Solo left.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 135
  • Solo at the creek.jpg
    Solo at the creek.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 130
BTW, my biggest 'non-wheeled' item is a .577 Snider Mahout rifle by either Greener or H&H, IIRC. I have a collection of Snider-patent action guns that started with my Grandfather's .577 that saw service in the Boer War.

He was too young for that one, but was in France 1914 - 1918 with Victoria Rifles... The .577 was his drill rifle as a subaltern (the equivalent of a JROTC cadet) in the 1910 - 1914 period, roughly. I have his Ross from WW1 as well as his personally-owned Smith and Wesson, Tommy helmet, swagger stick... all his kit. He survived the whole WW1 show without a scratch...

But the .577 was special and kicked off a collecting niche of that action type. Now have several ranging from bad Belgian Congo knock-off to some sublime London Best pieces using the innovative Snider breech.

Cheers,

Sirhr

"Hey guys I like guns. I haven't been here very long and I want to see if you guys like what I like. Show me your guns....please?"

Yeah.....not gonna happen.

I like guns too.
My big bore is my potato gun. It's the only gun I have. The rest are slingshots.

And yes I'm paranoid. A good trait to have in 2019.

Puhleeeezze...

View attachment 7055754

Cheers, Sirhr

Oh, shoot! I forgot about that possibility. Here is mine.

It is not as big as it looks. It is only one-half scale with a golf ball bore.

Barrel turned by a machinist friend. He did about one-half of the rest of the metal and I did the other half.

I built all of the carriage. Square nuts, chains, and lock purchased. Everything else made by hand.

Oh, shoot! I forgot about that possibility. Here is mine.

It is not as big as it looks. It is only one-half scale with a golf ball bore.

Barrel turned by a machinist friend. He did about one-half of the rest of the metal and I did the other half.

I built all of the carriage. Square nuts, chains, and lock purchased. Everything else made by hand.

View attachment 7055789
That is a beautifully-done half-scale field carriage and tube! One you should be proud of! I have one half-scale Parrot as well... and it is one of the most fun cannons to shoot! Light powder charges, small (aluminum) projectiles. The pack a total whallop and are just so much fun to shoot!

Thanks for posting because that is just an amazing piece!

Cheers,

Sirhr

P.S. Like the percussion-firing mechanism! Also half-scale? Well done!

Are you limiting this question to shoulder fired stuff or can it be mounted? I have one that is tripod mounted but has a shoulder stock in 24mm with a bore of .973". Land diameter is about .943". It was used as an anti-tank rifle in WWII. Its in the first pic.

The other is just 20mm or .787" land and .815" groove. Its shoulder fired and was also an anti-tank rifle. We've run it at some machinegun shoots out west and hit steel out to 1000yds and larger targets out to about 1850 yds. Its a Solothurn S18-1000 built in 1941 and its great fun to shoot. About 625gr of powder for a 1500 gr slug at around 2900-3000 fps. 3rd and 4th pics
The ammo pic shows an original armor piercing 20 X 138B round, projectile weight 2300gr, A new loaded round using a 1530gr 20mm vulcan training/practice projectile, a 50 BMG AP round and an 8mm Mauser rifle cartridge.

Frank
That is a beautifully-done half-scale field carriage and tube! One you should be proud of! I have one half-scale Parrot as well... and it is one of the most fun cannons to shoot! Light powder charges, small (aluminum) projectiles. The pack a total whallop and are just so much fun to shoot!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Is it possible to make an exploding charge for that? a hollow projectile filled with powder and with a slow fuse? fill it with a zinc mix to get a green explosion.

"Hey guys I like guns. I haven't been here very long and I want to see if you guys like what I like. Show me your guns....please?"

Yeah.....not gonna happen.

I like guns too.
My big bore is my potato gun. It's the only gun I have. The rest are slingshots.

And yes I'm paranoid. A good trait to have in 2019.

They steady know. Get all up in your credit cards and cell phones.

And have plate scammers and facial recognition at gun shows.

So good luck

Edit. All up in yo 4473s too

Last edited:
Is it possible to make an exploding charge for that? a hollow projectile filled with powder and with a slow fuse? fill it with a zinc mix to get a green explosion.

Yes, but risky. Civil war technology is easily replicated. But BP shells and paper fuses and rudimentary contact fuses make shooting them risky to life and limb. Risks you took if you were an artillery private in 1863. Risks you don’t take as a collector in 2019!

But, yes, they have the power to launch some very powerful ordnance.

Cheers, Sirhr

Reactions: Fig
They steady know. Get all up in your credit cards and cell phones.

And have plate scammers and facial recognition at gun shows.

So good luck

Edit. All up in yo 4473s too

Yeah...but maybe I ain't just talking about the man. Common hood rats use the internet to case.

" I really wish somebody would make a SxS shotgun with double rifled barrels OR even one rifled barrel and one smooth bore. Making twin rifled barrels is complicated (hence the cost) BUT a single rifled with a smooth bore beside it (or under) would be cheap. "

Hey Edelweiss, how about 2 shotgun and a single rifle barrel?

96K.jpg

It's called a drilling.
They do make them six ways from Sunday.
Most people "into guns" know this or can find it out quite easy with a Google search.

The 100 yd pistol targets.
This thread.
"Sure wish they made a rifle shotgun". (Savage 24 just top of my head)

Mr. Idlehands smells funny to me.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
" I really wish somebody would make a SxS shotgun with double rifled barrels OR even one rifled barrel and one smooth bore. Making twin rifled barrels is complicated (hence the cost) BUT a single rifled with a smooth bore beside it (or under) would be cheap. "

Hey Edelweiss, how about 2 shotgun and a single rifle barrel?

View attachment 7055910
Yeah Im familiar with Drillings and even Double Rifle Drillings. They ARE cool and yep I want one BUT a U.S. "version" with a double rifled shotgun (12ga or even 20ga) would make a great Bear gun. Double Rifles are expensive to make because regulating them is time and labor intensive. The Russians tried to beat the system with a "jack screw" to push the barrel into regulation. Im just thinking there has to be a "modern" manufacturing way to do it cheaper--but what the hell do I know???

A "Cape Gun" is (or was) a SxS with a rifled barrel next to a smooth bore barrel. THAT certainly would be easy to make, especially in a O/U. Put the rifled barrel on top with sights and make the lower barrel smooth bore. I think Franchi or maybe it was Fabarms did one a few years ago.

Chiappa imports a triple barreled shotgun BUT it uses one trigger that fires the barrels in rotation. IF they had a separate trigger for the top barrel it could be rifled or even have a rifled choke BUT as it stands its just an overpriced "Bubba" gun.

How much cheaper you want one?

You do know how to use Google right?
They make guns with 2 smooth 2 rifled and all points in between.
Why didn't Boddington tell you that?
Did you ask him about his "Big Bore"?

What are you phishing for?
Bro take a breath. Nobody is phishing. Nobody is making you or anyone say what they own. This was just supposed to be a conversation. It is a gun forum after all, you know where guys talk about guns.

But since you asked yes I know about the Remingtons. Before Remington bought them (and killed them BTW) they were imported by EAA and sold under the the Biakal name. They are the AK of double rifles. Sabatti was a much better option until Cabellas stopped importing them.

Bro take a breath. Nobody is phishing. Nobody is making you or anyone say what they own. This was just supposed to be a conversation. It is a gun forum after all, you know where guys talk about guns.

But since you asked yes I know about the Remingtons. Before Remington bought them (and killed them BTW) they were imported by EAA and sold under the the Biakal name. They are the AK of double rifles. Sabatti was a much better option until Cabellas stopped importing them.

Sorry. I'm off my thorazine drip this week.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Thanks for the comments.

No, the firing mechanism is full-sized. Purchased from Dixie Gun Works. It required a change to the blueprints. It had to be mounted parallel to the bore because it was too big to mount sideways (the proper way). This required the flash hole to be drilled at a rearward angle to enter the powder chamber. Straight down would have put the flash in front of the powder charge.

When I received it, I thought about making one in half-scale, but was not sure I could get the necessary energy to ignite the "cap" (a .22 caliber nail gun cartridge). Of course, it is not proper for the model cannon anyway, but I always point that out when I display/shoot the piece.

I used to shoot golf balls at the rock quarry on the family farm, but I have some video I examined frame-by-frame. It showed me something that scared the hell out of me - so now I only shoot blanks (mostly at the home football games right after the National Anthem is played).

I am not a photographer, but I did take that photo. I must admit; I really like it.

Reactions: Bender
Thanks for the comments.

No, the firing mechanism is full-sized. Purchased from Dixie Gun Works. It required a change to the blueprints. It had to be mounted parallel to the bore because it was too big to mount sideways (the proper way). This required the flash hole to be drilled at a rearward angle to enter the powder chamber. Straight down would have put the flash in front of the powder charge.

When I received it, I thought about making one in half-scale, but was not sure I could get the necessary energy to ignite the "cap" (a .22 caliber nail gun cartridge). Of course, it is not proper for the model cannon anyway, but I always point that out when I display/shoot the piece.

I used to shoot golf balls at the rock quarry on the family farm, but I have some video I examined frame-by-frame. It showed me something that scared the hell out of me - so now I only shoot blanks (mostly at the home football games right after the National Anthem is played).

I am not a photographer, but I did take that photo. I must admit; I really like it.
What did you see!

Yes, freebore is very critical and these guys making 'golf ball cannons' don't take into account how much a golf ball deforms and 'squishes' when it is impacted by a shock. Like a powder charge. And unless there is so much freebore that you end up with huge blowby (or you have a stupidly short barrel like my Coehorn Golf Ball mortar) you risk blowing up your tube.

However... I will send you some pictures of the projectiles I use. Turned bar-stock Aluminum with about .050" Freebore... and a hollow tail that blows out like a big Minie Ball. You can buy the bar stock dirt cheap on eBay (drops) so for about $100 and an afternoon on the lathe, I can make 100 or more projectiles... enough for about 4 years!!!! The other nice thing about the aluminum is that it's light! You can shoot a big projectile at relatively high speed (flat trajectory) with a very light and safe powder charge. You can't do that with iron or lead. And the zinc alloy balls that people make are great, but the cost adds up on that stuff, too!

I even made up some very cool half-scale U.S. Ammo boxes/limber boxes.

Another tip... make yourself a tool that will let you pre-pack powder into tin-foil 'bags' for fast loading.

I'll post some pix later! But you can have a ball shooting that. And your instinct to not shoot golf balls is a good one!

Again, love your cannon and those half-scales are just too cool!

Cheers,

Sirhr