• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What's your box test method?

dormandefense

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2012
Aynor, SC
I've read quite a few different methods on how to test the tracking of your scope, but I'd like to hear what you guys are doing/what's working best for you.

At what distance do you run the test?

How far do you track the scope on your target to truly test it's abilities?

Looking forward to hearing your methods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good info. Do you typically try to max out your scope's adjustments in all directions?

I don't always max it out. You would need a large target to be able to do that. I normally do it at 100 yards and measure how many mils the target is tall and wide and take off 0.5mils or so to bring it back into the target. Shoot the box test and then measure to verify it is correct. Also when verifying my dope I will put 3 shots on a plate. One for center punch, one up a mil if there is room and one down a mil if room. If not I'll make smaller adjustments and then measure the distance between each impact. I always hold wind but always check the windage turrets for a new optic.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I'm figuring it would be a decent idea to use at least the amount of correction needed when taking shots at your maximum effective range. That way you can know it sure when testing that it will track correctly at those ranges. I would imagine a small area of error at 100 yards would compound substantially by 800+

You can check your reticle's subtentions without firing a shot. Just check the markings against a target with a known pattern that matches.

All you're doing with a box test is checking repeatability. This is checking the backlash of the internal threads and slop in ball detents. All you have to do is move the threads past any backlash and return back to test for this. A couple clicks in each direction is all you should need. Also, you can check this without firing a shot by using a laser boresighter for the test. It's better than shooting groups because unless you're running a one-holer you will still be estimating group centers.

You can test your comeups with a laser boresighter too. BTW, it helps to have a buddy down range to mark your target for you.

Last edited:
It seems like any error in the scope tracking would be exaggerated at further adjustments, right?

It seems like any error in the scope tracking would be exaggerated at further adjustments, right?

Unless I'm missing something.........

The only way I can see that happening is if the graduations on the turret are marked wrong and/or the internal threads are of the wrong pitch. Either way, it's time to ditch that manufacturer, big time. Otherwise, tracking could get screwed by lousy bias springs, but only when unscrewing the turret, and that would not cause a compounding error, but rather an intermittent error.

Last edited:
Unless I'm missing something.........

The only way I can see that happening is if the graduations on the turret are marked wrong and/or the internal threads are of the wrong pitch. Either way, it's time to ditch that manufacturer, big time. Otherwise, tracking could get screwed by lousy bias springs, but only when unscrewing the turret, and that would not cause a compounding error, but rather an intermittent error.

Go use some of the older ior optics. I'm no engineer as far as optics are concerned but have seen my fair share of what some consider great optics heavily fail in the tracking area. Bottom line is if I dial 6.4mils today for 1k yards and I use the same load which has the same velocity I should be able to dial 6.4mils the next day and get some results or very close. I've watched some hit a 18" target dead center one day with the same dope and the next be completely off target high or low and it was due to tracking issues in the optic.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I use a tall target at 100 yards with a plumb line drawn down the middle - about 48 inches tall and 18-24 inches wide. Mostly I want to confirm that the elevation tracking is dead vertical, on the numbers and boringly consistent. I only do a quick windage check as I always hold wind.

Mostly I want to confirm that the elevation tracking is dead vertical, on the numbers and boringly consistent.

Good point. Do you shoot for this, or just do a visual while cranking on a steadied rifle?

I use a tall target at 100 yards with a plumb line drawn down the middle - about 48 inches tall and 18-24 inches wide. Mostly I want to confirm that the elevation tracking is dead vertical, on the numbers and boringly consistent. I only do a quick windage check as I always hold wind.

Something like this is where my thought process was heading.

Good point. Do you shoot for this, or just do a visual while cranking on a steadied rifle?

I shoot it. The only thing that matters is where the bullets actually go. If you have a mil or moa reticle, you can put marks on the target to check the numbers on it as well. Also, make sure your range really is the distance you think.

What's your box test method?

I'm thinking I'll just draw my poa on a large piece of paper and dial the correction I'm comfortable with. I'll note the corrections made and check them per their corresponding correction at the given distance. I'll also check the direction of correction for accuracy with a level/plumb bob.