• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's your cheapest precision rifle?

Wryfox

Private
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2002
Daytona Beach, FL
I'll define precision as 1/2 moa or less on a regular basis.

In these tough times I conducted an experiment in frugality. I have a Rem 700 in 243 I bought new on discount a couple of year's ago at Academy sports for $240. Bought a used Aetec scope at the local fleamarket for $80. Bipod for $40. Leupold rings from my parts bin. Old Winchester Sharpshooter heavy barrel in 308Win (free in a trade). I carved the composite stock forend to fit barrel. Action blueprinted, accurized, barrel installed, rechambered, recrowned for $360 by Dietz in San Antonio. So all of $720 to shoot 1/2 regularly and many times 1/4 moa. It ain't pretty but that's the best bottom dollar precision rifle I could make.

Can anyone beat that?

Dietz308-02.jpg

Re: What's your cheapest precision rifle?

Bought 2 FN PBR rifles $399 each Houge over mold stock came pillar beded $100. Shoots under 1/2 and frind of mime a USMC sniper bought 10 of them all shoot under 1/2 at 100. He shot at 300 1 7/8 same for me Fed Match.

my 700 bdl deer rifle in 7mm08 cuts the same hole out to 200 when i do my part. Never shot it past that.

Savage 10FP 308, McM A4, Falcon Menace 4-14x44. Badger rings, Warne 20MOA rail

M40A3057.jpg

Dram40a1 picked up a used .243 and jocked up some 115's and hit very small steel at 1000yd at tacpro witnessed by me second round....

i think he had less than 450.00 in the rifle

Think the new Marlin XL that is doing .8" with 30-06 factory hunting loads may be a winner. I got one ordered.

pop_wm_1143956.jpg

Guess I'd have to say my Modle 70 300 win 1000 yard gun.

I bought 8 Model 70 actions for $225 one time. I put a douglas 29 inch barrel on one, (from unturned blank, I think it was about 80 bucks. I think I paid about the same for the Biship stock. I had the sights (Redfield Puma & Weaver T-10. About $15 for the weaver mounts. I did the work myself. All told, I think I have less then $200 invested, and it still shoots like a house on fire.

I couldn't afford a custom and didn't want to build a rifle piece-meal over several months so I got a Stevens so I could shoot right away and change the barrel myself.

$250 Stevens 200 .243
$40 EGW 20MOA rail
$40 Warne 30mm rings
$550 Bushnell Tactical 6-24x50
$45 Caldwell bipod
$0 trigger pull lowered to ~3lbs
$66 Karsten kydex cheek rest

Total invested is $991. I still need to upgrade the stock and trigger but its shooting under 1moa 5-shot groups at 100 yards with cheap factory ammo. I don't know if it'll shoot under 1/2moa, but for what it is I'm happy with it. Plus I wanted the Stevens/Savage so I could tinker with it.

I could have saved money with a cheaper scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dram40a1 picked up a used .243 and jocked up some 115's and hit very small steel at 1000yd at tacpro witnessed by me second round....

i think he had less than 450.00 in the rifle </div></div>
It is an A series Varmint that I paid 499.00 with elcheapo scope. My loads are 105 AMAX at 3015fps. Shootin SOB. I rescently aquired some RE 17 to see how hard I can push the 105's.

Savage 112 BVSS in 7 rem mag. Only ever adjusted the trigger and added a recoil pad. It will consistantly shoot 1/4 inch five shot groups with factory 140 Winchester Ballistic Tips. Under 1/2 inch with just about any factory 140 and 150 loads. It's not even glass bedded. It's kind of scary and frustrating because it is my cheapest, least work done, and most accurate rifle. Paid $300 dollars for it used but unfired in 1990. The guy is still trying to buy it back. It's frustrating because that is the accuracy I want from my other rifles but I have to understand that it's going to cost a lot more money to do so.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cheapest to shoot - $35 for a box of 500 match grade rounds.

CZ452-004-600X.jpg

</div></div>

I want that.

Remington SPS Tactical .308 $500
B&C Light Tactical stock $190
EGW zero cant mount $35
Burris 1" Xtreme Tactical rings $45
Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 Mil-dot $260
Harris 6"-9" $85

For a total of $1,115 and worth every penny

Howard Dietz is one of the finest benchrest gunsmiths in the country. If you been to Dietzville (population varies) you have a real gem!

You might find an H-S Precision stock someday and glass your action. The pic shows not much forend, but each to their own.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WRYFOX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll define precision as 1/2 moa or less on a regular basis.</div></div>Then nobody's got one. Regularly 1 MOA or less, in the field, from a custom build, is good shooting indeed.

But I'll play:

Lee Enfield Long Branch #4 Mk1*: $150.
Free float job done by yours truly: $0
WWII scope mount: $20
Case of 1200rds 1943 ball ammo: $65
Went with the excellent adjustable vernier caliper rear sight.
Spent a total of $235 for what was a 1-2 MOA rifle under field conditions, limited mostly by the ammo and lack of good optics.

Ruger 10/22 with Tactical Innovations barrel and Millet DMS1 scope. $600

well i get sub moa( and i dont really measure em under that)using factory match loads and some not so match, from a $500 factory .308 savage 110 on a free floated choate varmint stock and wearing a $800 zeiss conquest mildot 3-18 power(i think, i leave it set at 10x cuz thats where the mils read true.) im runnin 168's but gettin ready to start trying m118lr on for size and then reloading in near future if all goes well but, on subject, all in all probably $1400 rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Harold Dale</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What stock is that ? Looks nice! </div></div>

If your asking about mine.... Its a McMillan A4.

this is my only precision rig for the time being, but i've only got about $750 invested...

edit: make that $810 i forgot about the cost of the sling...
308001JPG.jpg

Tikka t3 varmint in .223 with Cabelas 6.5x20 scope. Absolute mayhem on squirrels for about $800 total. So far it has averaged .4" at 100 for 5 shot groups but it has only been on paper a couple times.
Tikkarig030.jpg

Ankara Mauser action $50
Adams and Bennett F54 barrel blank in 308 - 60
leupold ringsand base 55
timney trigger 50
el cheapo raline stock 80
bushmell 6-18x50 banner series 160

I did all the work myself in my dad's shop and borrowed his jigs and chamber reamer to 30-06. Not counting what I borrowed totals 455 give or take 20 bucks. Rifle was built in 2002. With good ammo its a 2-2.5 inch rifle at 300yards, maybe less the rifle's fault than the nut that connects the trigger to the scope.