• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's your experience with ultrasonic cleaners?

AtownBcat

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2009
Aledo, Texas
I looked at the first 10 pages and didnt see any info, although im sure it has been talked about before. I like the idea of having the primer pocket and inside of the case cleaned. What has been your experience? Is there a negative to these cleaners? I also like the idea of being able to clean the dies themselves(i load in the garage and its pretty dusty out there...)

Re: What's your experience with ultrasonic cleaners?

I have the honandy and to be honest...I would go with stainless steel media. That is all I use now... I think the company name is STM they advertise on the hide. Best decision I ever made.

Does the stainless media get the insides clean?

One plus to the ultrasonic is it does a bang up job on gun parts with the right solution. The $75 one from harbor freight is the same one Lyman sells for $120. For another $10 you can get a 1 year replacement warranty. The one thing youll want to do with it is use some high temp silicone to seal the edge of the stainless tank in it so nothing seaps around down inside it.

p.s. "Let me tell you something ass-eyes, let me tell you ALL something: war has made me very PARANOID! and when you get to eye-balling me, makes my Agent Orange act up, makes me want to KILL!" - Major Benson Winerford Payne

For cleaning dies I just take them apart and spray them out with brake cleaner then put a little rem oil on them. Really quick. An ultrasonic would be a pita for that I think.

and ... "Boy, I am two seconds from being on you like white on rice in a glass of milk on a paper plate in a snowstorm. I'm gonna put my foot so far up your ass, the water on my knee will quench your thirst." - Major Benson Winerford Payne

I have the Hornady Magnum US cleaner. It gets the entire case very clean. The outside may not be as "shiny" as tumbling media if that new look is what you are going for. I usually clean for 45 minutes but would probably work well with less time. It has a heating element and 2 US units.

My reloading process is to run a quick brush down the case neck, use Lee collet neck sizing die (doesn't require lube) to neck size and decap primers, clean in US cleaner, dry overnight in reloading trays, finish drying the next day by placing in oven at 170 degrees for 1-2 hours, prime, charge with RCBS Chargemaster, and load up with my Forester bullet seater. Sounds like a lot but each stage is easy and quick.

I have the HF cleaner and was not impressed with it as a case cleaner. You have to baby sit it due to the short timer. Now, it is only used for cleaning handguns and AR bolt and bolt carriers. It works well for that. Stainless steel pins are the way to clean.

Yes SS gets it all clean including The primer pocket. Crazy clean like new. I use the ultrasonic on gun parts not on my brass anymore.

Cheers

Thumler Model B + stainless steal media is the way to go.

I'm using the HF unit. Like the results, cases clean inside and out including most primer pockets. Occasional primer pocket that won't be totally clean but gets majority of them. It does take baby sitting, can't just dump a bunch of cases in and come back a couple hours later. I clean cases each time I shooot so the average number to be cleaned is 75 or less. If I was doing a lot of cases at once I would look at a different method and/or a larger unit.

I posted this in another thread yesterday, but I'll repost here rather than linking to the other post since it's more on topic here.

I disagree with the ultrasonic method being a pain in the ass, but I'm a chemist and my mantra is: all problems can be solved with chemistry. I don't have any real data, but any physical method (media polishing) it seems is going to remove metal from the case. What's more, beating your brass up with hard heavy particles of stainless steel (called shot peening in the metallurgical realm) is going to work-harden it and you'll need to anneal more often.

I use a home-made cleaner that is dirt simple and very effective: take a 1 gallon bottle of distilled water; add 1 tablespoon of powdered citric acid and 1/2 teaspoon powdered sodium lauryl sulfate. Citric acid can be found at big-box home improvement stores like Lowes or Home Depot as a "water softener cleaner" (Filter-Mate). I've tested "Filter-Mate" and it's 95% pure citric acid.

Sodium lauryl sulfate is a little harder to come by in pure powdered form, but it is just an anionic organo-sulfate surfactant or, in layman's terms: "detergent" so you can use household detergents to the same effect. It's best to use one that doesn't have alkaline softeners like sodium carbonate or sodium tetraborate (borax) as these tend to neutralize the citric acid (laundry detergents and automatic-dishwasher have these). A good eco-friendly liquid dish washing detergent (like clorox "green-works" dish detergent) is probably a good substitute since it won't have perfumes and dyes and is mostly sodium lauryl sulfate (10-15% according to the MSDS); use about a tablespoon of this per gallon.

I run my decapped dirty brass in an ultrasonic cleaner with a heater for 4 or 5 of the longest cycles (480 seconds), rinse with hot tap water, then final rinse with very hot distilled water (the hotter, the quicker they dry). If I'm going to resize the brass, I'll clean it first as above, skipping the distilled rinse, then lube and size and run them through another cycle in the US cleaner to remove the case lube, then rinse as above with distilled water.

They don't come out mirror polished, but they are clean as a whistle and I don't worry about losing any metal or work-hardening my cases.

Before and after shots (actually after/before in the first shot):

My experience is they don't do as good as the Stainless Steel Media. Also you have to baby sit them non stop as they only want to run for a few minutes at a time.

I'm with Gene Poole on this. I don't mind the fuss. I picked up the US machine on eBay for about $40, and paid $10 for a couple of 600ml beakers, so my investment is minimal. The cases aren't as shiny as with some other methods, but they are clean inside and out. The trick is finding a good cleaning solution.

Couple of questions for you folks with more experience using the US Cleaners, I am using the larger sized model from Harbor Freight:

1) How many pieces of, say, .223/.308 do you put in at a time?

2) Do you place them in the tank standing up on end?

3) Anyway to bypass that damn timer?!

Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FALex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Couple of questions for you folks with more experience using the US Cleaners, I am using the larger sized model from Harbor Freight:

1) How many pieces of, say, .223/.308 do you put in at a time?
</div></div>
I put about 100 .308 or so at a time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FALex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
2) Do you place them in the tank standing up on end?
</div></div>

I just dump them in, then fill with my solution to cover them by about 1/2 inch or so.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FALex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
3) Anyway to bypass that damn timer?!

Thanks. </div></div>

That would be nice. I've got the Harbor Freight model too. I'm thinking about popping this thing open and taking a look. There's probably a way to hot-wire it, but I'd like to keep some kind of safety on the heater. If it's a microcontroller I'm familiar with (and they haven't set the fuse bit) then it might be reprogrammable.

I have the Lyman , and wish I would have gone the stainless media route . I use it more for parts than brass . Very disappointed user here .

FALex --- I fill the tank with water, but I place about 25-30 cases (upright) and cleaning solution in 600ml lab beakers, which I then place in the tank. I can fit 2 beakers in the tank at one time, so I am limited in that I can only clean 50-60 cases at a time, but it really makes the cleaning solution go a long way.

A friend has one of the Sonix industrial cleaners he got off of Ebay for $250. That thing kicks ass but still doesn't get the cases shiny.

I bought a new chinese one that sucks for the same price thinking there wouldn't be much difference,wrong.

Since my "US" didn't pan out well I bought the SS media system. Then had problems with the lips of the cases getting peened. So I discovered that I could use the "US" to clean most of the gunk off in 1 hour and then put the cases in the Thumbler tumbler for 1/2 hour to 45 minutes with the result being perfectly clean shiny cases and no peening. The one thing I do is chamfer the inside and outside if the case mouth whether I trim or "not", otherwise it's pretty painless with optimal results.

I have both. The SS method is by far the best for cleaning cases, inside and out. The peening issue, if you even notice it, can be eliminated by trimming or at least deburring and chamfering after cleaning. Read the thread about SS testimonials to find out about the peening issue. It's towards the end of that thread.

I've seen pictures of shiny, clean cases that guys said came from a sonic cleaner, but they must have run that stuff forever - or they're just plain lying about it. Mine don't look anything like that.

I tried the Lyman sonic cleaner to try and get residual lube off my cases after sizing and neck turning. I usually use a tumbler for that but didn't want to have to poke media out of all the pockets and wipe off dust. Even after several cycles (8 minutes each), my brass still feels a little greasy to the touch after drying. I used the Lyman brass cleaning solution and also tried a heavy dose of Dawn with a little LemiShine (the same solution I use with the SS). I guess I need to experiment with more cleaning solutions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OldTex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have both. The SS method is by far the best for cleaning cases, inside and out. The peening issue, if you even notice it, can be eliminated by trimming or at least deburring and chamfering after cleaning. Read the thread about SS testimonials to find out about the peening issue. It's towards the end of that thread.

I've seen pictures of shiny, clean cases that guys said came from a sonic cleaner, but they must have run that stuff forever - or they're just plain lying about it. Mine don't look anything like that.

I tried the Lyman sonic cleaner to try and get residual lube off my cases after sizing and neck turning. I usually use a tumbler for that but didn't want to have to poke media out of all the pockets and wipe off dust. Even after several cycles (8 minutes each), my brass still feels a little greasy to the touch after drying. I used the Lyman brass cleaning solution and also tried a heavy dose of Dawn with a little LemiShine (the same solution I use with the SS). I guess I need to experiment with more cleaning solutions. </div></div>

The cases I showed in the picture were from my Ultra Sonic and only the US. I had to try a lot of recipes to get that mix (I've got a lot of throw-away brass). In the end, it was the Horanady One-Shot MSDS that helped me out: citric acid and surfactants. LemiShine probably has citric acid, but probably isn't very strong and may have a lot of other stuff that's no good for brass (such as water softeners like borax).

well, I have attempted the recipe used in the thumb-tacked section of this Reloading forum-->Brass Case Prep by TresMon. I put 100 .223 pieces in with the suggested cocktail, and I let the US run for just over 2.5 hours, and I was not impressed with what came out.

There is an article on 6mmbr.com about some testing the author performed with his US and solutions, it is here:
<http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html>

I may give that a try, but what is up with the beakers? Am I the only idiot throwing the brass straight into the tank? HA!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FALex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well, I have attempted the recipe used in the thumb-tacked section of this Reloading forum-->Brass Case Prep by TresMon. I put 100 .223 pieces in with the suggested cocktail, and I let the US run for just over 2.5 hours, and I was not impressed with what came out.

There is an article on 6mmbr.com about some testing the author performed with his US and solutions, it is here:
<http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html>

I may give that a try, but what is up with the beakers? Am I the only idiot throwing the brass straight into the tank? HA! </div></div>

I don't know what's with the beakers. Maybe if you only have a few cases to do, but I usually do 50-100 at a time. I used beakers when I worked up different solutions and different strengths so I wouldn't waste chemicals, but once I got the mix, I just dump them in almost to the full mark an ensure that they all get covered with solution.

I've read the 6mmbr article before and I tried a few of his cocktails, but my citric acid/detergent solution works wonders for me.

Mine gets them just as nice as the ones in the pictures. I use Citrinox cleaner; a gallon of the stuff has lasted nearly 2 years.

My only complaint with the stainless media is the time consumed to get them clean and then rinsed.

With my ultrasonic its less than 45 minutes total (cleaning and rinsing) for roughly 95 7 WSM cases at a time, and they drip dry in the garage (Vegas so rust is NOT an issue) until I decide to put them away.

Jeffvn

Gene P - when you say "detergent," do you mean liquid or powder dish detergent, or liquid/powder laundry detergent? Can I find citric acid at Lowe's or Home Depot...is there a popular cleaning product that is composed of citric acid? I know it's probably banal knowledge, but I've never paid attention when purchasing cleaning products. Thanks again folks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeffvn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine gets them just as nice as the ones in the pictures. I use Citrinox cleaner; a gallon of the stuff has lasted nearly 2 years.

My only complaint with the stainless media is the time consumed to get them clean and then rinsed.

With my ultrasonic its less than 45 minutes total (cleaning and rinsing) for roughly 95 7 WSM cases at a time, and they drip dry in the garage (Vegas so rust is NOT an issue) until I decide to put them away.

Jeffvn </div></div>

Just checked the Citranox MSDS. Mostly I like it. Citric acid and glycolic acid are good organic acids and but weak enough not to damage the brass. I worry a little about the isopropylamine sulfonate and triethanol amine (both are common surfactants) as amines (kin to ammonia) are not good for brass (they are chelating agents ), but a good rinse should get rid of them--I'd do a rinse for one cycle in the US cleaner to ensure that these amine residues don't cling to the brass.

As I mentioned above, I like to keep it simple. Pure citric acid and pure sodium lauryl sulfate.

These before and after photos are my experience as well. I've not tumbled so can't compare but I run 60 cases at a time ( 30 each standing on end in two 600 ml beakers ) in the Hornady solution for 40 minute cycles. A little primer pocket touch up after drying and its done. Regarding the timer, mine has a 60 minute duration so I too would be bothered by having to frequently reset it.

i had a hornady one, but i didnt like the constant babysitting and the fact that the solution ate a hole in the tray after 4 hours didnt help either.

that went back to the store and i just use a regular tumbler. all time accounted for, the tumbler is faster and i dont need to worry about the solution leaving a residue or the cases getting chemically damaged.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Raider1v1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i had a hornady one, but i didnt like the constant babysitting and the fact that the solution ate a hole in the tray after 4 hours didnt help either.

that went back to the store and i just use a regular tumbler. all time accounted for, the tumbler is faster and i dont need to worry about the solution leaving a residue or the cases getting chemically damaged. </div></div>

You have your concerns reversed. Weak acids* dissolve only the oxide layer and don't attack the brass. Any physical polishing system (tumbler, etc) is going to remove the oxide layer, but also remove metal--it makes no real distinction except that the metal is harder than the oxide layer. Granted, the amount removed is negligible and a must if you want the cases mirror-like, but it does remove good metal.

* What solution were you using that ate a hole in your tray? That shouldn't happen.

I sold my Hornady Sonic cleaner and upgraded to a stainless steel set up from SSM. I could not get good resulst with the ultrasonic, and have no regrets about the switch.

Gene Poole, no need for neutralizing rinse with something like baking soda? I've been using the 6MMBR solution with vinegar and having to rinse w/ baking soda to neutralize. Our brass looks pretty much the same but your solution might be easier on the brass. Certainly seems to be an easy and cost effective mixture.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gene Poole</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Raider1v1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i had a hornady one, but i didnt like the constant babysitting and the fact that the solution ate a hole in the tray after 4 hours didnt help either.

that went back to the store and i just use a regular tumbler. all time accounted for, the tumbler is faster and i dont need to worry about the solution leaving a residue or the cases getting chemically damaged. </div></div>

You have your concerns reversed. Weak acids* dissolve only the oxide layer and don't attack the brass. Any physical polishing system (tumbler, etc) is going to remove the oxide layer, but also remove metal--it makes no real distinction except that the metal is harder than the oxide layer. Granted, the amount removed is negligible and a must if you want the cases mirror-like, but it does remove good metal.

* What solution were you using that ate a hole in your tray? That shouldn't happen. </div></div>

i was using the one shot diluted per the instructions. it dissolved a pinprick sized hole in one corner of the pan. it dropped down onto the electronics and the unit was no longer working. i had it roughly 6 hours. it DID do a nice job cleaning, but after that i just took it immediately back to the store and got a lyman 1200 tumbler.

i would like to get a stainless steel tumbler, but dont have the setup to deal with wet rinsing and think that its just not worth the hassle over dry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crewchef</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gene Poole, no need for neutralizing rinse with something like baking soda? I've been using the 6MMBR solution with vinegar and having to rinse w/ baking soda to neutralize. Our brass looks pretty much the same but your solution might be easier on the brass. Certainly seems to be an easy and cost effective mixture. </div></div>

Definitely not. Baking soda will neutralize the acid, but unless you've got a pH meter and can get it exactly neutralized, you'll be alkaline and that is worse for brass than acid. Of course, a good rinse will take care of the alkalinity problem too, but it's just an extra step.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Raider1v1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
i was using the one shot diluted per the instructions. it dissolved a pinprick sized hole in one corner of the pan. it dropped down onto the electronics and the unit was no longer working. i had it roughly 6 hours. it DID do a nice job cleaning, but after that i just took it immediately back to the store and got a lyman 1200 tumbler.
</div></div>

Wow. Sounds like you got a defective unit. I can see that maybe happening if there were a flaw or maybe a hairline crack in the stainless steel tub where it developed the leak (does it have a heater?).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gene Poole</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Raider1v1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

Wow. Sounds like you got a defective unit. I can see that maybe happening if there were a flaw or maybe a hairline crack in the stainless steel tub where it developed the leak (does it have a heater?). </div></div>

their new ones do. i just had the original one. it wasnt so much as the heater as it was the hassle of tending to it and if i left them in too long. im pretty sure that you would have to leave cases in a tumbler for weeks for it to do anything.

i really like the SSM cleaners, but its too much hassle IMO.

I use an ultra sonic cleaner as well. Try my recipe for solution. Seems to work well for me at least. 1/2 cup lemon juice, handful of gojo hand cleaner and water out of a reverse osmosis unit(we have incredibly hard water in Vegas). Decap brass and put in unit, turn heater on without the unit on, then once the heater turns off, turn the cleaner on for 4 max time cleaning cycles. I fill about 3/4 from top of water with brass and I just toss the brass in. There is no need to do anything but a few standard rinses with plain ole water.

Mine has never come out shiny but since I use a lube pad after cleaning, the brass see's a tumbler for a few minutes later so I still get my shine.

thanks for all the posts...i was trying to decide between SS and ultrasonic.
Then I talked to a well know custom ammo guy and he said one of the advantages once fired brass has over virgin brass is actually the carbon in the case neck...

quiggy.....you plott'en on me boy?!?!?

Gene Poole - thanks for the post man! Great pictures and info!

So, in honesty, I do both. No matter how hard you try, the tumbler will not clean the inside of the case nearly like the US cleaners will. So they are not super shiney like brand new. No problem, throw them in a tumbler for a short time and then they are not only perfectly clean, but super shiny. Its like having new brass. Save the friction on the cases by letting the US cleaner do the cleaning job and then you can put them in for minimal time , even in corn cob or walnut media to get them super shiny. Not the most idea solution, but it does make some damn fine results.

I'm still on the fence about cleaning. I put my cz75 in the gun cleaning solution in my Lyman ultrasonic and it removed some of the bluing. It was about three of the 480 second rounds. My stainless steel s&w revolver came out great, however.

not going to weigh in on which is better.

but if you want ultrasonic, do yourself a favor and do a google or amazon search for them, and get a large heated one.

i bought one, and have a SS tumbler kit on order from the sponsor here. i have other stuff besides brass i want to clean, and i got a larger ultrasonic cleaner than the hornady/lyman/et al, with better reviews, and heated to boot for $70.

if you want to try one, don't just look at them at your reloading store, and i think you should get a heated one from what i can tell.

I picked one up a couple weeks ago when my tumbler bit the dust. I always hated popping the media out of the primer pockets anyway. I like it. It came with some cleaning solution (looks like soapy water to me), but it works good. I think its an iSonic. Looks to be the same as the new Hornady. Best part about it is the heater and the 30 min timer. Thought about going SS, but at $90 this was a cheaper route for the time being.

I picked up the small cheapy one from harbor freight for $25 on sale. Big enough to do 20 308 cases at a time.

A 50/50 solution of distilled water and vinegar along with a dribble of liquid dish soap gets them spotless after 4 cycles of 3-4min?

I have to manually hit the the start button but no biggie. I can keep it in my reloading room and tinker with other stuff while I'm cycling it versus the tumbling in the garage for hours.

I still use the tumbler for pistol and carbine cases but for the low round precision rifle cases it can't be beat.

Nothing like clean case mouths and primer pockets!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joe-n-TX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I picked up the small cheapy one from harbor freight for $25 on sale. Big enough to do 20 308 cases at a time.

A 50/50 solution of distilled water and vinegar along with a dribble of liquid dish soap gets them spotless after 4 cycles of 3-4min?

I have to manually hit the the start button but no biggie. I can keep it in my reloading room and tinker with other stuff while I'm cycling it versus the tumbling in the garage for hours.

I still use the tumbler for pistol and carbine cases but for the low round precision rifle cases it can't be beat.

Nothing like clean case mouths and primer pockets! </div></div>

that sounds easy enough! Just regular old white vinegar will do, or should I go with balsamic? Nothing like tossing your brass like a salad!

I'm with the thumbler and stainless media group.
My sonic cleaner is for bolts and pistol barrels.

I tried my own concoctions in my Hornady ultra sonic cleaner and nothing worked good, even the recipe from 6mmbr.com. I went and bought the Hornady cleaning solution and that made a HUGE difference. After just one cycle my brass was almost completely clean, three cycles and it is shiny and clean. Give the Hornady solution a try if you aren't having any luck with anything else!

The only drawback to the ultrasonic is having to dry brass IMO. I dont give a flying monkey if my brass is "shiny", shiny gold colored stuff is for women folk. Its clean and thats all that matters to me. Distilled water, a shot of simple green and lemon juice, and bingo bango its clean.

I was using vinegar at first, but worry that it might be to strong an acid.

Ive read and read and read on the stainless media, and I just cant for the life of me figure how that is NOT detrimental, at least a little, to brass life.

Does it matter when in the process you use the ultrasonic cleaner? When I used a tumbler and corncob media, I cleaned my cases early in the process. Since switching to the ultrasonic cleaner, I have moved cleaning the cases further back. I now clean the cases right before priming and charging the cases, the logic being that I want the cases as clean as possible when assembling the final cartridge. Any thoughts?
Bob

<span style="font-weight: bold">The only thing I found to work is taking out the mesh plastic tray and DO NOT drop in 100pcs of brass to clean. I also stand my brass straight up and down for 2 cycles and then flip for 2 more cycles. I will then take them out and rinse them and then back in for 1 cycle with distilled water for cleaning. Final prep is blowing them all out with an air gun. I use the regular Hornady cleaner solution. I tried the 6mmBR website technique and they dont come as clean as doing it my way. My way was better.

I have tried 10 different or so solutions and mixtures and this way the brass come out the best.

I slowly stir them once in awhile to get them all in the jet area (more in the center) Brass comes out TOTALLY clean - primers pockets and inside all cleaned spotless. Also the water must be above the case neck when standing up. So long brass like say the .300WM will have to be done the old way on their sides but the less I throw in the tub the more clean they come out. I only clean 20pcs of .300WM at a time. Stand them straight up for a cycle to clean the primer pockets.

For 45ACP I will only put in about 50pcs, for .223Rem about 50pcs, and so on.

I dont have any pics on my computer but I think alot of you guys would think I stainless steel tumbled them and not ultrasonic them. I was VERY surprised how clean they come out doing it this was. The only drawback is not having the plastic mesh in it seems to leave smudges or real light scratches on the bottom, this hasnt hurt nothing so far and i have cleaned hundreds if not thousands of brass this way.

Try it!
I will get some pics taken and edit this post with them soon to show you guys how clean.</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cstmwrks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gene Poole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I use a home-made cleaner that is dirt simple and very effective: take a 1 gallon bottle of distilled water; add 1 tablespoon of powdered citric acid and 1/2 teaspoon powdered sodium lauryl sulfate.

</div></div>

Question for you about the acid.. any reason for citric over acetic acid?
My low budget cleaner is acetic & sodium lauryl sulfate in liquid form.. AKA white vinegar and DAWN dishwashing liquid. </div></div>

I always got weird coloration on the brass with the vinegar when I used it in the concentrations necessary to get the same cleaning as with citric acid. Vinegar is only like 3% acetic acid and the rest is water. I'd rather use my own water. My 8 oz bottle of powdered citric acid is still nearly 7/8 full. It goes a long way.