• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

whats your favorite chambering for 1500 Yards

Re: whats your favorite chambering for 1500 Yards

.338LM - doesn't require such a large rifle as a .50BMG, lighter, less blast and does 1500 yards quite well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skeetlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like the question says. What do you reach for when the target is 1500 yards away?? Lee</div></div>

There are several cartridges that will allow for the 1500yd mark rather easily. My "personal" choice is a 300WM with either 210gr SMK or the 240SMK.

Thanks

1. 338 LM
2. 300 Win Mag with 208 AMAX, or 210 Berger
3. 50 BMG

It makes a difference what do you want to do when you get there, punch paper or knock down a moose.

Jeffvn

Kind of an open ended question...

Favorites would be the M2 (Browning heavy .50 cal) and M197 (20mm aircraft mounted.

Most practical, single person transportable would probably be .338LM or .50 BMG.

But for internet shooting, it's got to be a 22LR at any range!
smirk.gif

Looking to have one built. Have looked at the economics of .338 and .50 and both seem to be $3-5/ round. Would like the ability to go beyond 1500 yards. The software says the reound is still above Mach 1 at 1800 yards.

More than paper, less than a Moose

That and the fact that the 7mm WSM is in a short action seems to have advantages also.

300 Win mag all the way. Have done it with 185 bergers in my hunting rifle. Its a lot cheaper than the both aforementioned and don't kick like an ultra.

I think I'll have to go with my 7wsm
My 338 lapua does it very well but the 7 does it as good in a smaller package

Am I understanding the 250 Sierra Match King has very similar balistics to the Berger 180? Based on the Sierra calculator (unless I am doing it wrong) the 7mmWSM "seems" to have better performance as the distance goes out. the .338 has more foot/pound up close as you get out it appear to drop to or below the Berger.

for a man sized target what is the "magic" number of ft/lbs of energy on target? Somewhere back in my memory I am remembering 1000 ft/lb for a elk?

If always used 1000 ft. lbs as a default on Elk. However with some boolits you need to consider impact velocity.

30-375 Ruger wildcat.240SMK's at 2775fps.

Left 6x47L to 1000Y,middle 30-375 to 1900Y,right 375Cheytac to the Moon or 3000Y whichever comes first.
DSC00028.jpg

DSC00030.jpg

DSC00024.jpg

The 240's sail out past a mile with great accuracy.

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">30-375 Ruger wildcat.240SMK's at 2775fps.

Left 6x47L to 1000K,middle 30-375 to 1900K,right 375Cheytac to the Moon or 3000K whichever comes first.</div></div>

1000K means a thousand kilometers. I presume you meant yards, or meters. Those are some nice cartridges you list there, but even the 375CheyTac isn't shooting to a million meters (620 MILES) which is what 1000K equates to. And for the newbies, the Moon is a bit farther still, i.e. 250,000 MILES (give or take).

.338LM shooting 300 grain scenars at 2860 fps. 1500 yards equals 1372 meters equals 12.5 mils on the turret equals lots of granite dust in the air!

The impact? WOW!!! That was saturday...Im still smiling!

pgs,
What barrel length are you running and what loads to get 2860 fps?

My barrel is a bartlein 5R 28" 1-9.75 mtu contour. im using retumbo. it gave the highest velocity. work up carfully. bullets are seated well into the powder.

ill usually whip out the 20mm for anything under 2k, after that we start talking 25mm or 30mm.. lol

Flat out there is nothing that can beat the performance of a 338 cheytac at any distance short of 2500 yards. The case prep takes a bit longer but you do it once and its done. Have seen these on more then a few time shoot sub .5 moa groups at 1800. With a projo drop of around 36-38 moa. and 15-16 moa at 1k. Its the flatest shooting cartridge out there right now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotAGuru</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Flat out there is nothing that can beat the performance of a 338 cheytac at any distance short of 2500 yards. The case prep takes a bit longer but you do it once and its done. Have seen these on more then a few time shoot sub .5 moa groups at 1800. With a projo drop of around 36-38 moa. and 15-16 moa at 1k. Its the flatest shooting cartridge out there right now.</div></div> Do you neck down the Cheytac case to make the 338 or is it an entirely different breed????? What velocities are you getting out of it and how much does it cost per round to reload???

This is a turn neck and improved case. You turn the necks down when they are still 375 to about .0125 a side. Then you neck them down and seat the bullets into the lands so the whole shoulder fire forms. I use a slightly backed down charge to do this but they still shoot well. Then after fired i resize them and trim them to a length they all clean up at and inside neck ream them to have between .0015 and .002 neck tension with them. After that its pretty much load and shoot (I still check oal for trimming if needed) for a while till 5 or so loads and i aneal.

They will shoot the 225gr accu bonds at 3800 fps and the 300 smks at 3450 to 3500. The barrel life on these is short but im looking into a certain nitride process that might extend the life of these to 2k-3k. Have had some good feed back on some new alum tipped bullets that are 265 and 300 grains with a higher bc then most. And maybe even getting RMB to make me some that are just like it in a 325 or even a 350 grain. This could get to be just a plain old mean round.

Oh and its just as cheap or cheaper then the lapua to reload.

Currently i know a guy that has fired these up to 30 times a piece in the 375. If you dont push it the brass will last a long time.

never been out too 1500 yds but recently did 1000yds with a 7mm rem-mag 165 gr and was surprised with the accuracy 300WM also great round, just my two cents
wink.gif

I prefer to call in a JDAM, sized appropriately.

Really though the Barrett .416 looks ideal for that range on paper.

Spectre, not Spectra.

I think a .30mm GAU-8 would be juuuuuust about right...

(...If it's smaller than a 'vagen..., don' come a knockin'...)

clicpic

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ranger70</div><div class="ubbcode-body">50 cal with A-max 750 gr. or 208gr A-max in .300wm </div></div>

A 50? There is a big reason why no one suggest this any more. There is many other calibers that it cant hang with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pgs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My barrel is a bartlein 5R 28" 1-9.75 mtu contour. im using retumbo. it gave the highest velocity. work up carfully. bullets are seated well into the powder. </div></div>

How many grains of Retumbo are you using with the 300gr'er?

My tennis shoes, run in around 800 and I am good. That frikkn Cheytac has my broke ass wanting to experiment though.