• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns What's your favorite hunting sidearm for predator control

Glassaholic

Optical theorist and conjecturer
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 30, 2012
    Panhandle, FL
    I should preface this with I'm mostly looking for something when going pig hunting and other predator control, I will be using NV so will be putting on a Steiner TOR Mini IR on it, so having a picatinny accessory rail underneath is a must. I shoot 10mm, 40S&W and 9mm currently. I've wondered should I go with 10mm for more stopping power or do most of you feel 9mm is just fine with the right bullets for the big piggies.

Pistols suck for hunting stuff most of the time and about the only thing a suppressed pistol is good for night hunting is finishing an animal off if you walk up and it’s still alive. Personally I’d carry a CCW for possible issues to or from hunting and stick to a rifle. Having to dick with carrying a suppressed pistol and finding a holster that will work for an IR unless it’s a X400V just isn’t worth the hassle especially when a rifle works so much better and you can finish stuff off with it as well.

If it's pigs, I'd suggest the 10mm just in case you run across them up close and need to make sure they stop in a hurry.

However if you are actively hunting and looking for them already, I'm guessing you already have rifle in hand pointed ahead of you so that's probably what you'll get your shots off with.

Reactions: pwc001
    Pistols suck for hunting stuff most of the time and about the only thing a suppressed pistol is good for night hunting is finishing an animal off if you walk up and it’s still alive. Personally I’d carry a CCW for possible issues to or from hunting and stick to a rifle. Having to dick with carrying a suppressed pistol and finding a holster that will work for an IR unless it’s a X400V just isn’t worth the hassle especially when a rifle works so much better and you can finish stuff off with it as well.
    I had to re-read my post as I thought maybe spell check got me again, but I have no intention of shooting the pistol suppressed, this would purely be a backup if all else fails type of situation.

My Glock 31C .357 Sig is a preferred option. If need be, it has enough ballistics to take deer or coyote sized animals up to pretty impressive distances for a handgun. The .357 Sig was designed to produce 4” .357 Magnum ballistics in a 17+1 capacity semi-auto. And with the right ammo, it does. 👍🏼

A solid option is my old trusty S&W 6” 686 .357 Mag. Or my S&W 340PD .357 Mag snubby stuffed in a pocket.

If it's pigs, I'd suggest the 10mm just in case you run across them up close and need to make sure they stop in a hurry.

However if you are actively hunting and looking for them already, I'm guessing you already have rifle in hand pointed ahead of you so that's probably what you'll get your shots off with.
    That would be the first line of defense, using the rifle that is already in my hands. Back in Colorado when I would hunt for elk I kept my 357 and later my 10mm on me for the possibility of some toothy creature thinking it's going to get an easy meal when smelling the blood during quartering, etc. The 357/10mm was mostly for the possible encounter with a bear, never happened but I would rather be prepared than not. My biggest concern would be for a pig, but maybe I'm over thinking it too much and relying more on my rifle and just having a 40 or 9 on my side is more than enough - as backup.

S&W model 28 with a Lyman 358429 loaded over a heavy dose of Unique in 38 special brass.

That or a Colt 1911 with a Lyman 452423 over a stout dose of bullseye.

Or the Colt SAA with the Lyman 454190 over 38 grains of black powder.

The ballistics of anything out of a semi-automatic aren't that different. 9mm, 10mm Auto and .460 Rowland aren't that different. I'd just grab some tough ammo like Buffalo Bore or Fort Scott for my 9mm and roll with it. Buying a new gun as a hog sidearm doesn't make much sense to me.

I had to re-read my post as I thought maybe spell check got me again, but I have no intention of shooting the pistol suppressed, this would purely be a backup if all else fails type of situation.

I think you’re going a little tactical Tom on this one then. If your hunting rifle goes down why would you transition to a pistol and keep hunting? At that point your hunt is over. Playing operator with a backup pistol while night hunting is just silly to me, but I get CCWing a pistol with a white light, I’d forget about NV at that point though if your pistol needs to come out.

Reactions: brianf
    If you have to carry a pistol

I vote Glock 40 in 10mm shooting underwood ammo

Cycles perfect, slightly longer barrel so you get some more velocity

And underwood has very high quality ammo

Suppressed .22 LR mini Beretta. For those finishing coup de grace.....

IMG_0633A.JPG

The ballistics of anything out of a semi-automatic aren't that different. 9mm, 10mm Auto and .460 Rowland aren't that different. I'd just grab some tough ammo like Buffalo Bore or Fort Scott for my 9mm and roll with it. Buying a new gun as a hog sidearm doesn't make much sense to me.

From actual penetration tests on multiple spaced metal sheets, I can say that's incorrect information.

the 10mm has significantly more penetration and energy carried through than the 9mm and the .45 super or .460 Rowland do noticeably better than the 10mm. The .40 S&W has measurably better penetration and energy carried than the 9mm as well.
    (The .44 mag of course or the .50AE are even better but that's a different class of weapon).

The tests were all done using the best Underwood Extreme Penetrator ammunition for each caliber.

From actual penetration tests on multiple spaced metal sheets, I can say that's incorrect information.

the 10mm has significantly more penetration and energy carried through than the 9mm and the .45 super or .460 Rowland do noticeably better than the 10mm. The .40 S&W has measurably better penetration and energy carried than the 9mm as well.
    (The .44 mag of course or the .50AE are even better but that's a different class of weapon).

The tests were all done using the best Underwood Extreme Penetrator ammunition for each caliber.
    I’m talking about handguns in a perspective of a world of rifles, they just don’t perform the same kind of wounding.

I carry a 45 Glock hog hunting but it’s only a last resort if somehow I get downed and I can’t manipulate my rifle which hasn’t happened yet, I would respectfully suggest that a handgun is a poor substitute for a rifle regardless of caliber. Concerning hogs the bullet placement of most of the handgun calibers mentioned will be much more important than the caliber itself. Shoulder back they will be all but useless unless you want to spend the day chasing it after a hit, direct shoulder the bullet may just ricochet out, so your pretty much limited to a excellent head shot, a good neck and spine shot. I’ve never tried with a handgun but I’m not sure if the normal sweet spot below the shoulder would cause enough damage unless you hit the heart. Hanguns would be fine for piglets but anything bigger would probably end up being a long track through whatever bush you have.

I think you’re going a little tactical Tom on this one then.
    Maybe so, maybe I'm just trying to justify the purchase of another pistol :LOL:
    If your hunting rifle goes down why would you transition to a pistol and keep hunting?
    I wouldn't, it would be for protection.
    At that point your hunt is over. Playing operator with a backup pistol while night hunting is just silly to me, but I get CCWing a pistol with a white light, I’d forget about NV at that point though if your pistol needs to come out.
    That's a very good point about the white light at that point.

Thanks for bringing me back to reality, definitely some good feedback to think about.

I guess I wasn’t understanding your post then. Just carry your EDC with a WML man, that’s all you need. 9mm, 40, 45 will handle anything you’re going to encounter in the FL woods and pretty much anything except for a person with ill intent is going to go the other way.

Reactions: Glassaholic
    I use these as .44 / .357 mag revolver back woods back up sidearms , bias being with a variety of .44 ammo options.
    IMG_1792Smith & Wesson Models BackPacker Mountain 65-3 with Coffee Photos 2022 copy.jpg
    IMG_1793Smith & Wesson Models BackPacker Mountain 65-3 with Coffee Photos 2022 copy.jpg
    Big .44 Magnum Ammunition  Game Choices.jpg

If you are going with the pistol as a "oh shit" back-up, I would spend up on the ammunition. I carry a 9mm HK VP9 in a chest rig trout fishing which I am aware is light in caliber. I however load it with Buffalo Bore 147 Gr. hard cast which gives me a chance in the unlikely event I need it against something in the Wisco north woods with teeth and claws.

Reactions: Glassaholic
    Generally carry a S&W 686P 4" with a chest rig when fly fishing or hunting in the backcountry have a also lugged around a 629 but the damn thing is awfully heavy.

Generally carry a S&W 686P 4" with a chest rig when fly fishing or hunting in the backcountry have a also lugged around a 629 but the damn thing is awfully heavy.
    I have a 686 4”, love that pistol, sold it to a friend once when i needed some cash, then had opportunity to buy it back a few years later. Won’t sell it again.

Last edited: