• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's your favorite mass produced rifle?

MachoKing

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2017
We all talk a lot about our customs, but what's your favorite mass produced rifle? I have a Tikka T3 Hunter in 7 Mag that shoots pretty darn good. I have also heard good things about the newer Browning offerings as well as Bergara and Howa. What do you like?

I don't own one but every time I pick up a Bergara B14 woodsman, it feels perfect. The geometry of the grip fits my hand perfectly. I have much nicer rifles to hunt with, but may pick one up still.

Reactions: SonicBurlap
id say AI but what do you consider mass produced.
i bet savage sells more rifles in one month than AI makes all year.

Model 70 super grade 308, First yr Portugal production. Absolute tack driver.

The 700 remington is an will always be, the small block Chevy of the bolt action rifle world. Fact.
...and much like the Gen I SBC, the world at large has passed the R700 by and is offering superior features, functionality, and performance for the same or lower cost.

I am thankful for the R700 because of the trail it blazed, but beyond that, I tend to spend my money elsewhere.

I haven't quite finished my first custom build but my R700 in 308 is the smoothest action of any rifle I have ever owned and very accurate.
I don't know if I just got lucky but it is smoother than other r700's I've owned and several others I've handled.

AI and Steyr. The Steyr SSG line is very underrated. The action is glass smooth and much better then a 700 action. They are very accurate better then 1/2 moa out of the box. I put over 7000 round down the tube of my SSG 04 before I had it re-barreled. It still shot just over 1/2 moa but the chamber wore down to were the bolt would close on a no-go gauge so time to re-barrel

That action has been plagiarized by almost everyone. Thats a testament to the design. Until LR shooting took off 10 years ago, tell me what other action out numbered it ? I'll wait for your answer ?
Uh...the 10/22? :D (They're both made to same shitty QC standards, so I think it's a fair comparison)

Reactions: b6graham
Define mass produced? Savage 110 and Remington 700 are massed produced. I wouldn't say Finland is mass producing. And Savage and Remington in spite of thier bad reputation have the same same stupid guarantee as Sako. 1 MOA.

After looking at and fondling a LOT of guns the other week, I got really, really enamoured with the SR-88.

Oh, you meant precision rifles, didn't you? Well I also got to gently stroke a WA2000. It was very cool. But I've never fired one.

My factory Remington PSS continues to be just amazing. Now has new stocks and trigger and sometime will be chopped and re-crowned, but it's pretty amazing for factory to me.

The only other precision rifle I've shot, and which felt (and shot) simply perfectly, such that it made me sad I didn't get to take it home, was a very early OBR I "had to" shoot as we were hosting a demo day.
5899191448_98e78c2b64_b.jpg

I’m a Remington 700 user. I handled a tikka the other day, and I can’t help but admire the quality of the action.

Sako...

I own a TRG, a Quad Range, a 75 Varmint in 223, and an 85 Grey Wolf.

I own several other brands but once I bought a Sako, I had to buy more. It just fit me. I feel comfortable behind them and something about the aesthetics of the rifles just pleases me. I see myself in the future getting rid of some of the other rifles just cuz they don't ever get used. These Sako's are really all I need...

I'm going to have to throw the Ruger American in there as well. Sure it has nothing on most listed here, but at $350, it gets a decent shooting gun into the hands of most that couldn't afford one otherwise.

Ruger gets a lot of crap on several forums I've seen... But I have a Hawkeye Predator that shoots great. It was discounted at my local gunshop for $500 bucks cuz no one would buy it for 2 years! It's not a precision rifle nor was it built to be. But for hunting coyotes it does just fine. No regrets buying it and plan to keep it for a long time

I'm going to have to throw the Ruger American in there as well. Sure it has nothing on most listed here, but at $350, it gets a decent shooting gun into the hands of most that couldn't afford one otherwise.
I actually talked a buddy of mine into getting one because he wanted to get into his first bolt action for as little money as possible. He got the 6.5CM and the thing freaking shoots.

Professional grade - AI
Inexpensive, light, tons of fun - Tikka
Lightest with most features - Fix
Classic hunting - M70 (though Tikka is neck and neck now for me)
.22 - CZ 452 (Maybe Tikka soon!)

Semiauto 308 - PredatOBR
Semiauto - JP
Semiauto .223 - KAC

These are my mostly made up categories. I can probably think of a few more. I also realize this is the bolt action forum, but I threw in the factory semi stuff too.

eta: I totally forgot about my Blaser R8. Not sure which category I'll make up for it, maybe travelling precision hunter?

Last edited:
Reactions: Basher
I just can't accept the AI as a mass produced factory rifle when you can buy a full custom with all specs to your liking for the same or less money.

For that matter there are several true factory mass produced rifles that are available that will shoot better than the average person is capable of that can be had for less than a replacement AI barrel.

Precision Rifle: Cadex Defence Kraken; I can never decide whether to shoot it or just put it on display and polish it with a soft cloth. You can feel the love those people put into these rifles oozing out of every supple curve.

Battle Rifle: LMT all day, every day. Even KAC is smart enough to buy their lowers from them.

Bullpup: IWI Tavor X95 / AUG A3 M1 (tie)

I just can't accept the AI as a mass produced factory rifle when you can buy a full custom with all specs to your liking for the same or less money.

For that matter there are several true factory mass produced rifles that are available that will shoot better than the average person is capable of that can be had for less than a replacement AI barrel.
Hmmm...a $70k Ford Raptor is mass produced, and a similar truck could be made custom to meet that performance.

OK, but so what? Doesn't change the nature of its production.
I would bet on the AI all day everyday over the custom when the going gets tough.

Hmmm...a $70k Ford Raptor is mass produced, and a similar truck could be made custom to meet that performance.

I see your point and raise you its like comparing a ZO6 corvette to a 6 cylinder mustang.
They are both 2 door sports cars but that's were the similarities end both in price and performance.

The AI I see as a custom turnkey sniper rifle without all of the end user changes and input.
It's purpose built for precision, battle proven and no need to be customized kind of like a ZO6 or raptor.

Reactions: WtxShooter
I don't know if AI or any other $4000 - ish rifle could be considered mass produced??? = I could see factory/ custom??!!

The CZ527 brings a smile to me. A mini Mauser action with a light bolt lift and a short stroke. Just shot a yote an hour ago with a cute little round, 20-221FB AI, named 5mm FBI, 32's at 3675 fps on 17.7gr of powder which is a light load.

M700, they come to me. The older ones are nice and they are the common standby, problem is they never stay stock.

Pre 64 M70, nuff said.

Always liked Tikka in 6.5x55, congruent.

Yeah, K-31 for old military.

HK300, 70's semiauto 22 mag.

Sako Finnwolf, lever action.

I tried other semi's, sold them, and kept my old Armalite, not easy getting sub moa out of other semi's. 2+ moa blasters don't turn my crank.

I see your point and raise you its like comparing a ZO6 corvette to a 6 cylinder mustang.
They are both 2 door sports cars but that's were the similarities end both in price and performance.

The AI I see as a custom turnkey sniper rifle without all of the end user changes and input.
It's purpose built for precision, battle proven and no need to be customized kind of like a ZO6 or raptor.

Exactly...and it's mass produced. i.e. They're not one-off productions, and every rifle is the same. Customs are, well custom, dependent on the condition/quality of the action, specs can vary from rifle to rifle. AI's are all the same.

Reactions: Basher and SLG
I'm a Fan of Savage, Stag, and AR Stoner. Other manufacturers plagiarize the basic R700 action, but they also plagiarize the features and details of the Savage action.

Greg

Exactly...and it's mass produced. i.e. They're not one-off productions, and every rifle is the same. Customs are, well custom, dependent on the condition/quality of the action, specs can vary from rifle to rifle. AI's are all the same.

Yes.

The fact that we are even discussing this seems silly to me, but I would add that since the OP didn't specify production rate (to qualify as "mass-produced"), I would argue that any gun you can call a dealer up and have shipped out from their stock, is a factory, mass produced gun. Cost simply doesn't enter the equation.

Reactions: MarinePMI
I follow yours and Marine PMI chain of reasoning on the matter, and no he didn't specify price.
I guess next time I'm in Wal-Mart or Cabelas or Bass Pro I will have to pick up and compare an AIAX to the other factory rifles ?

Since price is not an issue or production rate I guess I will have to include the Remington PSR kit, at $21,000 It's a steal.

Reactions: spife7980