• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's your guy's take on Crypto?

skinney_7

Hammer down.
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 23, 2008
    SD
    www.oneillops.com
    I've been getting some insight from buddies on Crypto, I just find it hard in this day and age to not buy into the physical side of things, Land, Ammo, Guns, Gold, Silver, sure, but this cloud based currency, who's to say, you just don't get your funds, I've heard it's happened.

Bitcoin increasing exponentially, hearing Ethereum is going to do the similar, with very slow and somewhat expensive transactions (not to mention I've heard both are mined or primarily mined in China). I've also heard CLM, Algo and OXT all are American based with cent's on the dollar transactions, and a 10X faster transaction than bit or ether.

I don't know much about the whole Cryptocurrency situation, so anyone with experience, I'm just curious as to what your take is.

• Haha
    Reactions: navynambu
    The point of cryptocurrency was to replace national currencies with a global digital one. What we're seeing now is speculation on how much these currencies are worth.

Like anything that is being speculated, it's better to buy in at dips and not peaks.

The point of cryptocurrency was to replace national currencies with a global digital one. What we're seeing now is speculation on how much these currencies are worth.

Like anything that is being speculated, it's better to buy in at dips and not peaks.
    If you look at the 3 tickers I posted, I think are very reasonable buy in... Anyone with more insight on this feel free to inform me.

I think there probably isn't enough discussion about state level actors putting effort into hacking it.

I think widespread faith in Crypto leads us to digiBucks - did you see China's roll out on the digital Yuan? It has a time limitation on the value.

Do you think a private entity known as the FED would like a time limit to be able to juice the Econ without printing money? How easy would that be to do on a global basis?

Fucked. For. Life.

I think there probably isn't enough discussion about state level actors putting effort into hacking it.

I think widespread faith in Crypto leads us to digiBucks - did you see China's roll out on the digital Yuan? It has a time limitation on the value.

Do you think a private entity known as the FED would like a time limit to be able to juice the Econ without printing money? How easy would that be to do on a global basis?

Fucked. For. Life.
    This is what makes me think twice about a non physical based currency. You see many online companies now accepting it however.

Well it does have a physical limitation when it comes to mining it. The longer it goes on, the more complex the problems solved, the more computing power (they use graphics cards) and the more electrical power consumed. I looked into it but it didn't seem worth it. The only ones that can do it get power basically for free and/or the hardware itself.

I do wish I'd bought 'em back when they were worth about $1 though, my bad.

I don't see it as being any different from investing in a stock market ETF. You are still left holding a certificate of ownership for something that can't be held in your hand. Biggest difference is volatility. Grab a popular crypto, look at the chart and zoom out. It's nuts how fast it can go up and down.

It's also one of the few things governments feel is a true threat to their power. India has been talking about banning non government backed crypto. Another possibility is most governments want crypto to become a normal part of life so they can highjack the systems once they are wide spread, replacing third party coins with a global digital currency.

Reactions: Tchitcherine
    Personally, I would invest up to 5% of my portfolio into Crypto. Maybe 8% if I knew more about it.

Read your own tea leaves.

Michael Joseph Morell (/məˈrɛl/; born September 4, 1958) is an American former career intelligence analyst. He served as the deputy director of the Central Intelligence Agency from 2010 to 2013 and twice as its acting director, first in 2011 and then from 2012 to 2013.[2][3]As a CIA analyst he served as presidential daily briefer to George W. Bush, including on the morning of September 11, 2001. In his book, The Great War of Our Time, Morell defends the use of drones by both the Bush and Obama Administrations against suspected terrorists and he explains the CIA's use of Enhanced Interrogation Techniques (what many call torture) by the Bush Administration.[4][5] He is now Senior Counselor and the Global Chairman of the Geo-Political Risk Practice at Beacon Global Strategies LLC, a consulting firm in Washington, D.C.[6]

Bitcoin just received a strong vote of confidence from an unlikely source, a former acting director of the Central Intelligence Agency. In so doing, he put senior government officials who issue public warnings about bitcoin’s alleged use by criminals, such as Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen, on notice.

Michael Morell, a 33-year veteran of the agency, published an independent paper commissioned by the newly formed lobbying group Crypto Council for Innovation (whose founding members include Coinbase, Fidelity Digital Assets, and Square) directly refuting this well-traveled narrative. In an expansive study, Morell came to two key conclusions:

1. The broad generalizations about the use of bitcoin in illicit finance are significantly overstated.
    2. Blockchain analysis is a highly effective crime fighting and intelligence gathering tool.
    But that is not all. In speaking with Forbes before the paper’s release, Morell made it clear that there will also be severe geopolitical repercussions for the U.S. vis-a-vis China if it wastes energy and resources chasing a ghost as opposed to leveraging blockchain, and fintech more generally, to build the country’s technological and economic base. Specifically, he said that “we need to make sure that the conventional wisdom that is wrong about the illicit use of Bitcoin doesn't hold us back from pushing forward the technological changes that are going to allow us to keep pace with China.

Crypto has zero tangible value, and at the moment, it's a pure speculation play based on some sort of push to sell you something. Pretty much like paintings by Leonardo DeVinci, which are "sold" to rich collectors as being worth a lot. Until something crushes big time, it may work...

Bitcoin near certain to be a three-letter services product, at least they can now divest away from dealing drugs to fill the black budgets , and at the same time track lots of transactions that run outside SWIFT

How secure it is? it can be tracked down to the last transaction on the other hand owners lost something like half of it irrecoverably and theft still quite common.

As for value , in the end it is what folks are willing to pay for it, it is not like fiat money that is created out of thin air every day is of any inherent value , just remember one in five dollars was created in 2020 !!.

''Data from the Fed shows that a broad measure of the stock of dollars, known as M2, rose from $15.34 trillion at the start of the year to $18.72 trillion in September. The increase of $3.38 trillion equates to 18 per cent of the total supply of dollars. It means almost one in five dollars was created in 2020.M2 includes physical notes and coins, banks reserves held at the Fed, accounts at banks, and money market mutual funds.''

I have been invested in some of the coins since 2017. BTC, ETH, BNB, and many more. Bitcoin was about $600 each at that time. It’s now over $60,000 per coin. I started with a $20,000 investment. My account is now, let’s just say, life changing! The smart money is now recommending we retail investors put 1-5% of our savings into these coins as a hedge. The smart money, big banks, Wall Street pissed on it until they figured out a way they could make money on these coins. Selling these coins to us. That day is here. These coins, crypto, whatever, are not going away. The technology behind these coins is here to stay, decentralized, no one government, company, person can control these coins.

There are several problems with it. Some are specific to Bitcoin, others are universal. I haven't kept up with cryptocurrency for about a year, so some of my information may be out of date; Etherium in particular seems to have made some improvements recently, but that's just one of many cryptocurrencies.

Since it's not really used as a currency, trading crypto is basically a sophisticated Ponzi scheme. It only has useful value when it is converted back to dollars, and those dollars come directly from other people who also bought cryptocurrency. It's not like investing in, say, mining, where more total value is dug out of the ground than was invested in the digging.

Bitcoin, at least, is not at all private - it's the opposite. All transactions are stored in a giant public ledger (the blockchain) forever. Some steps can be taken to mitigate this, like mixing, in order to obfuscate the transaction chain, but they're not perfect. But, some cryptocurrencies, like Monero, actually are untraceable.

The blockchain has a severe storage problem. It grows without bound. When you run a Bitcoin client on your computer, you download a copy of the entire blockchain. The last time I did this, it took up about half a terabyte of space. The more transactions there are, the bigger the blockchain is, so eventually it's impossible to store it on a single machine.

It's not actually decentralized. The blockchain storage problem means that eventually (like within a few years) only people with enough storage capacity will be able to hold a copy of the blockchain and process transactions. So it ends up that basically only crypto exchanges have the practical ability to manage the currency, which isn't that different from conventional financial institutions. And, since crypto is not really used as a currency, to actually get any use out of your pile of cryptocoins, you still need to convert them into dollars, which is done by a crypto exchange.

It wastes a lot of computing resources. If you think primers are frustrating to find, try buying a GPU. Processing transactions takes an enormous amount of electricity, and generates a massive amount of waste heat.

Transactions are slow. Only 4 or 5 Bitcoin transactions per second can be processed, for the entire currency. Other cryptocurrencies are better - a streamlined version of Etherium is supposed to be able to handle 100,000 transactions per second. For comparison, Visa's network processes about 2,000 transactions per second on average.

Cryptocurrency is fiat money. All money is fiat money. Gold is fiat money. Money is a social construct (tell that one to your woke sister-in-law).

Reactions: Mike_Honcho
    Yes you can buy groceries. I have a Visa card, a debit card. I load this card with crypto coins. I exchange or sell these coins for US$ and load this card. This Visa card is accepted any where a credit card is accepted. I actually buy reloading components with this card, that is when I can find them.

Coinbase stock went on the Nasdaq yesterday (coin). Started at $250 and up to $429 yesterday. Today at $337.00. Does it have value? YES, and it is here to stay I'm afraid.
    What I found brilliant was the fact that they didn't do an ipo. Anyone had the chance to buy into it.
    Like it or not, you might want to read up on it ( not an easy read ) because it will affect our lives.

Yes you can buy groceries. I have a Visa card, a debit card. I load this card with crypto coins. I exchange or sell these coins for US$ and load this card. This Visa card is accepted any where a credit card is accepted. I actually buy reloading components with this card, that is when I can find them.
    But you're still using dollars.

Just had a thought....

More evidence of the move from meritocracy.

Things were valued by their rarity or the effort required to get it to the market.

People were valued by their ability.

If we go crypto will meritocracy matter any more?

Value will be established by what some "controller" determines it is.

It will be determined perhaps that something or someone that does nothing to bring utility to society is given value for some other arbitrary reason.

Does it have value? YES, and it is here to stay I'm afraid.
    So did tulips.

I think crypto is not really useful as much else than a speculative instrument until the central problems with transaction processing and blockchain storage are addressed. Like I pointed out above, Etherium has apparently made some improvements, but I'm not familiar enough with the recent developments to say anything more intelligent about it than that. And your basic point is absolutely correct, cryptocurrency is something you should be aware of. But I would be careful about treating it like a magic money machine. GPU fan go brrr.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Sean the Nailer
    Just had a thought....

Things were valued by their rarity or the effort required to get it to the market.

It will be determined perhaps that something or someone that does nothing to bring utility to society is given value for some other arbitrary reason.
    Oh for this non existent prelapsarian golden age. Things have always been valued for their utility, not for their scarcity or effort. It is hilarious when clowns like you go on about commies, and then don't even realize that their understanding of basic economics is nothing but a dumb version of the labor theory of value. Meritocracy was always a noble lie told to children to encourage them to work hard, and it was noble because the like helped foster a well ordered society. But only true dumbfucks believed it past the age of majority.

Coinbase stock went on the Nasdaq yesterday (coin). Started at $250 and up to $429 yesterday. Today at $337.00. Does it have value? YES, and it is here to stay I'm afraid.
    What I found brilliant was the fact that they didn't do an ipo. Anyone had the chance to buy into it.
    Like it or not, you might want to read up on it ( not an easy read ) because it will affect our lives.
    Coinbase is the outfit selling shovels to plebs in a gold rush of a sort. Like with fiat money the ones making the most $$ just handle other folks money.

Oh for this non existent prelapsarian golden age. Things have always been valued for their utility, not for their scarcity or effort. It is hilarious when clowns like you go on about commies, and then don't even realize that their understanding of basic economics is nothing but a dumb version of the labor theory of value. Meritocracy was always a noble lie told to children to encourage them to work hard, and it was noble because the like helped foster a well ordered society. But only true dumbfucks believed it past the age of majority.

Your beliefs show that you really are a shitty person through and through.

Your comments mean nothing to me.

What comes from your mouth is the same that drains from your ass,

Fucked up at 1500 and passed on investing at the time.
    Like all investment strategies some are more volatile than others.
    Looking towards the future politics of printing dollars I'm bullish on BC.
    I'll bet it will break 100k before the current clown finishes the first term.
    Seeing who is against it is telling as well.
    They've had a monopoly and don't like competition.

R

Reactions: Maggot
    Your beliefs show that you really are a shitty person through and through.

Your comments mean nothing to me.

What comes from your mouth is the same that drains from your ass,
    That's fine. Your understanding of economics is orthodox Marx, which explains why your mode of analysis is so flawed.

Wokay.........feels like projection to me.
    It's not. The idea that the value of goods represents the hard work that went into them is classic Marx. It was the basis for his reasoning that labor wasn't getting its fair share, and being stolen from. Because capital was stealing the labor value of the product. Almost word for word what you said. People valued for their ability, rather than utility as in a capitalist model, price corresponding to effort to get to market rather than, again, utility. Your beliefs correspond to the repudiated idea that a product has an intrinsic value. It's all Marxist bullshit, the hilarious part is that you have no idea. lol.

It's not. The idea that the value of goods represents the hard work that went into them is classic Marx. It was the basis for his reasoning that labor wasn't getting its fair share, and being stolen from. Because capital was stealing the labor value of the product. Almost word for word what you said. People valued for their ability, rather than utility as in a capitalist model, price corresponding to effort to get to market rather than, again, utility. Your beliefs correspond to the repudiated idea that a product has an intrinsic value. It's all Marxist bullshit, the hilarious part is that you have no idea. lol.

The value of anything is based on what the buyer is willing to pay for it.

Lots of shit out there takes a lot of effort but has no value......like reading your posts.

Just had a thought....

The value of anything is based on what the buyer is willing to pay for it.

Lots of shit out there takes a lot of effort but has no value......like reading your posts.
    Good to see you have evolved today. I am always happy when I can teach somebody to be a little bit better. You are still, however, incorrect. The price of something is not determined solely by the buyer. It is the price at which a seller and buyer are both willing to make a transaction. But you have moved past your Marxism, and for this I congratulate you.

Good to see you have evolved today. I am always happy when I can teach somebody to be a little bit better. You are still, however, incorrect. The price of something is not determined solely by the buyer. It is the price at which a seller and buyer are both willing to make a transaction. But you have moved past your Marxism, and for this I congratulate you.

and its also based in part on supply and demand but you keep chopping shit up so you can talk about your marxism......

and its also based on supply and demand but you keep chopping shit up so you can talk about your marxism......
    Lol. Pot. Kettle. Two willing participants is supply and demand, genius.

Lol. Pot. Kettle. Two willing participants is supply and demand, genius.

Really?

You think 500 rounds of 168 FGMM is at $1000 is just buyer seller negotiation independent of the current supply situation?

Thing is its moved beyond the rational market now.

The rational people will tell the seller to eat a dick while the irrational opens his wallet.

Its all part of it and a Marxist like yourself would just say "No ammunition for anybody is fair....lets ban guns"

Really?

You think 500 rounds of 168 FGMM is at $1000 is just buyer seller negotiation independent of the current supply situation?

Thing is its moved beyond the rational market now.

The rational people will tell the seller to eat a dick while the irrational opens his wallet.

Its all part of it and a Marxist like yourself would just say "No ammunition for anybody is fair....lets ban guns"
    No, literally the price of a good is what a willing buyer and seller negotiate. The market price of a good is aggregate of all individual supply and demand curves, but in the instance you give all that really matters is the curves of the individuals in question. Furthermore, all that it means to be a rational actor in this instance is that each participant is getting as much value as they are giving up, and that value is solely determined by them, so it is a price in a perfectly rational market given that each participant is acting in a way in which they believe they are benefitting from the transaction in question. viz the rationality of an act can't be determined by an outside observer, but only by the actors themselves.

And now that that is out of the way, let's examine the rest of your post. It is full of the belief that you are able to determine market rationality better than are the actors in the market themselves. You know what this is also known as? Central planning. It is the idea that prices are more rationally set by the all knowing observer, in this case you, than by the market. You know where this kind of thinking is prevalent? You guessed it. Marxist based economies.

It's pretty hilarious that, when left to your own devices, you always get back to your foundational Marxism. Nobody even needs to lead you there, it is just part of you. You can try to mock up what you think I'd say, but you'll find nobody more dedicated to free market principles. than am I. Nowhere you look. Do you want to try again?

No, literally the price of a good is what a willing buyer and seller negotiate. The market price of a good is aggregate of all individual supply and demand curves, but in the instance you give all that really matters is the curves of the individuals in question. Furthermore, all that it means to be a rational actor in this instance is that each participant is getting as much value as they are giving up, and that value is solely determined by them, so it is a price in a perfectly rational market given that each participant is acting in a way in which they believe they are benefitting from the transaction in question. viz the rationality of an act can't be determined by an outside observer, but only by the actors themselves.

And now that that is out of the way, let's examine the rest of your post. It is full of the belief that you are able to determine market rationality better than are the actors in the market themselves. You know what this is also known as? Central planning. It is the idea that prices are more rationally set by the all knowing observer, in this case you, than by the market. You know where this kind of thinking is prevalent? You guessed it. Marxist based economies.

It's pretty hilarious that, when left to your own devices, you always get back to your foundational Marxism. Nobody even needs to lead you there, it is just part of you. You can try to mock up what you think I'd say, but you'll find nobody more dedicated to free market principles. than am I. Nowhere you look. Do you want to try again?

If someone wants to pay $1000 for 500 rounds of 168 FGMM I salute the seller because I suspect he bought that ammo off a member here for between $400-500 shipped.

I maintained my rationality though because while this sale was made yesterday at $2/rd I bought Lapua brass/Lapua 167 Scenar at $1.25/round.

Sometimes agreed value has nothing to do with real value.

If someone wants to pay $1000 for 500 rounds of 168 FGMM I salute the seller because I suspect he bought that ammo off a member here for between $400-500 shipped.

I maintained my rationality though because while this sale was made yesterday at $2/rd I bought Lapua brass/Lapua 167 Scenar at $1.25/round.

Sometimes agreed value has nothing to do with real value.
    I'm having trouble even understanding this post. But the point remains that as long as buyers and sellers are happy with their sale, they are rational, by definition, in the sense we use in economics. Your belief in rational action you can see vs the irrational action of actual market participants, or a difference between value and sales price is just more proof in your deeply held belief in an economy that ought to be centrally planned. I understand you don't want to be that way, but perhaps your education was lacking or something, so I am here to help you.

I'm having trouble even understanding this post. But the point remains that as long as buyers and sellers are happy with their sale, they are rational, by definition, in the sense we use in economics. Your belief in rational action you can see vs the irrational action of actual market participants, or a difference between value and sales price is just more proof in your deeply held belief in an economy that ought to be centrally planned. I understand you don't want to be that way, but perhaps your education was lacking or something, so I am here to help you.

You are no help to anyone.

Irrationality is a thing in the market as is elasticity/inelasticity.

Perception can play a role that exceeds reality.

I dont advocate for control but I do support informed decisions....and keep in mind this comes from a guy that often buys shit based solely on hearts desire.....especially the last week or so.

I realize you would probably buy this unicorn oil to drink....

1618514188082.png

but in my case its just the high end 1911 oil JMB used.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
    You are no help to anyone.

Irrationality is a thing in the market as is elasticity/inelasticity.

Perception can play a role that exceeds reality.

I dont advocate for control but I do support informed decisions....and keep in mind this comes from a guy that often buys shit based solely on hearts desire.....especially the last week or so.

I realize you would probably buy this unicorn oil to drink....

View attachment 7605155

but in my case its just the high end 1911 oil JMB used.
    Lol. Elasticity is something we use to describe something specific. Rationality, w/r/t economics is completely separate from how you are using the term. In economics we use it to say only that a rational actor, given a choice, will choose the thing he prefers. It doesn't talk about whether he should prefer it, just whether he does. I might prefer a box of rocks to having five dollars, and if I then buy a box of rocks for five dollars, I have acted rationally. What you are indulging in is whether I should pay that much for a box of rocks. You are literally indulging in the rationale for centrally planned economies. Again, rationality when talking about markets is not the same thing as rationality when talking about psychology or philosophy. With markets it has a low bar and a clear definition.

Lol. Elasticity is something we use to describe something specific. Rationality, w/r/t economics is completely separate from how you are using the term. In economics we use it to say only that a rational actor, given a choice, will choose the thing he prefers. It doesn't talk about whether he should prefer it, just whether he does. I might prefer a box of rocks to having five dollars, and if I then buy a box of rocks for five dollars, I have acted rationally. What you are indulging in is whether I should pay that much for a box of rocks. You are literally indulging in the rationale for centrally planned economies. Again, rationality when talking about markets is not the same thing as rationality when talking about psychology or philosophy. With markets it has a low bar and a clear definition.

The economy is a construct of humans - psychology plays a role.

Perception, desire, expectation all play a part in coming to "rationalizing" the exchange.

Someone may think "Man Im getting ass raped paying $1000 for this FGMM" but they rationalize it by thinking "But next week it could be $1500".

and obviously there is a problem with this because taking the ammo market as a whole I bought better ammo at lower unit cost some my perspective he is being irrational.

The economy is a construct of humans - psychology plays a role.

Perception, desire, expectation all play a part in coming to "rationalizing" the exchange.

Someone may think "Man Im getting ass raped paying $1000 for this FGMM" but they rationalize it by thinking "But next week it could be $1500".

and obviously there is a problem with this because taking the ammo market as a whole I bought better ammo at lower unit cost some my perspective he is being irrational.
    That all may be true, or not, but the fact is that IN ECONOMICS, when we talk about rational behavior, we are talking about a person choosing what he prefers, not what he ought to prefer. This isn't debatable, it is what it is. All that other stuff is irrelevant to man acting rationally from an economic point of view.

Your argument is similar to when libs say the 2nd says "a well regulated militia" means we need gun regulation. Sure, regulation can mean that, but in the historical period and subject of the second, it means well equipped and trained. Likewise, rational can mean a lot of things depending on the subject in question, but when it comes to economics, it means one thing. It means that the person chooses according to what he prefers. That's it.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
    Forget Crypto , primer prices gonna skyrocket

''CCI, Federal, Remington, and Speer has just announced that there will be price increases in response to “unprecedented raw material price increases” that have occurred just over the last couple of months.''

Reactions: pineoak
    Buy low, I do think the days of making 100% or more on them is gone. Cat is definitely out of the bag.
    You say that and then Dogecoin happened, lol. Fuck it, buy em cheap, stack em deep and maybe one day one will explode you to monocles and top hats.

I've been getting some insight from buddies on Crypto, I just find it hard in this day and age to not buy into the physical side of things, Land, Ammo, Guns, Gold, Silver, sure, but this cloud based currency, who's to say, you just don't get your funds, I've heard it's happened.

Bitcoin increasing exponentially, hearing Ethereum is going to do the similar, with very slow and somewhat expensive transactions (not to mention I've heard both are mined or primarily mined in China). I've also heard CLM, Algo and OXT all are American based with cent's on the dollar transactions, and a 10X faster transaction than bit or ether.

I don't know much about the whole Cryptocurrency situation, so anyone with experience, I'm just curious as to what your take is.
    How's that job at the IRS working out for you?

I was doing a little surfing and found there are 5732 cryptocurrencies being actively traded. Here is where you can find the full list. BTW, most have taken a pretty good hit over the last 7 days. Anyone wanting to dabble in this stuff, this is an excellent web page. It updates each commodity in real time.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
    just me,but i think any of the electronic money,payment,savings things will turn out to be a scam like PP and all those. just gives NSA and gov even more,in fact total, control over your wealth at whatever level you have. certainly the internet and everything associated with it depends on a safe,stable and reliable electric grid which,even now,we don't have. it's subject to terrorists,incompetence,iran,n.korea,russia,china,sun spots,weather whatever. no electricity-no internet despite people thinking that it is forever and inviolable. real doomsday-cash no good then physical gold and silver will work if an agreed on medium of exchange which will likely happen. it will take awhile. all human societies have had one. cows,corie shells wampum whatever. some magic electronic digital signal? don't think so.

Cryptography is the science of encrypting data using various methods and procedures. It encrypts transmitted data and using methods that have been proven in open environments to swiftly identify and fix any flaws. Many individuals are fearful of these advancements because they are unfamiliar with them. We're used to going to the bank because we believe it's a more secure approach to buy something like real estate. This is also the predicament I've found myself in. However, I found https://www.xerof.com to be really useful. In any case, the choice is entirely yours. The main thing to leave a wide berth for scammers!

Last edited: