• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

whats your guys thoughts on the stag arms model 6?

Re: whats your guys thoughts on the stag arms model 6?

I just got a 6H upper about a month or two ago. (Stag 6H 5.56 24" 1:8 upper on an older Stag lower w/Timney trigger) I've only shot a few hundred rounds through it so far (mostly hornady varmint and federal 5.56) It shoots about 1 MOA of the cheaper federal "tactical" stuff but for $7 a box what can you expect? The hornady varmint stuff had groups more like .75-.50 MOA at 100yds. I think when I start reloading for it it'll do a lot better, saving up that LC brass for now.

So far no complaints, no jams, no misfires, it looks great but sure adds some weight in the front end compared to my 16" Oly upper (which had horrible groups). I didn't know when I ordered it but they come with a rubberized hogue (or hogue like) fore end, again no complaints. I had to change my scope to higher power/finer cross hairs to aim more precisely as my old 14X Burris crosshairs completely covered my 1" dots... maybe I just need larger target dots. So I will take it out this weekend and sight in @ 200/300 yds. I'll let you know what happens.

thanks for the reply. please do let me know how it shoots this weekend. i went ahead and ordered the complete rifle this eveing so i'll be surfing the net for more info on it. I was just going to buy and upper then build the lower but when i shoot in our local varmint shoot that would put me in the custom class. By buying the rifle as a complete gun i can stay in the stock class.

Using 53gr VMAX box ammo I had one 5 shot group @ 200yds of 1.64" and 300yd 5 shot groups of 1.54" and 2.28". Also AE223 (Federal) grouped 3.46" and XM193F 5.56 grouped 3.75" and 3.95" (those were 10 shots at 300yds). There were some breezy 10mph crosswinds that I had to contend with. I was shooting off of bags and will admit I am not the greatest shooter in the world. Some days are better than others of course.

I think this is fairly good for something out of the box. With the 1:8 twist it makes sense to shoot the heavier bullets at longer distance. Stores in my area don't have the Black Hills ammo, I would try some of that if you can obtain it. The articles I read online seemed to have the best results with that brand. This spring I'll probably work up some loads with Sierra 69/77's and Varget/BLC2/CFE223.

i bought some SMK 77gr bullets from midway yesterday. cant wait to try them out

Well, what happened? I'm loading some up for next weekend. What powder/load worked best for you?

I'll be heading to the range on saturday i'll give a range report when i get back. the first testing when i bought the gun was using SMK 69 with 8208 XBR average group size was .5 moa smallest of the day was .3 biggest was around .75. I left my range bag at the range and lost all my load data and a bunch of other shit along with it. this will be my first time back since then i've got some 77SMK and 69 SMK to tryout. the barrel is still being broke in so its be slow going so far. but i am loving this gun. i put a LR-308 on lay a way on monday cant wait to get that out to the range also.

Went to the range today with some 77 SMK. Using 23 gr of 8208 with CCI BR primers. The weather wasnt the best cold and rainy with winds to the east about 10 to 15 mph. I was shooting .5's and and up to 1 inch. I'm still working on breaking in the barrel. But it seems the 69SMK are grouping better then the 77's. But it was a much better day on my last outing. I know today my fingers were frozen so I'm sure it made a big impact. I just could seem to keep my gun still on the rest today.

Got home from the range and found that my tax return came in but the gun store was already closed by then. Can't wait to get my LR 308 off lay a way.

Looking at ordering the 6H whole rifle sometime late March, to replace an AR I parted with quite a few years back.

Wondering about riser/base scope mounts (how much additional height do I really need? Like..., would plain ole see-thru rings work?). Looking for some relatively inexpensive after-market 10rd (I live in NY) mags, any recommendations there? It might be nice if they worked with strippers and GI mag charger clips.

For ammo, Fed 55gr Eagle bulk, Midway ammobox 62gr bulk, HDY 75gr Steel Match, and TulAmmo 75gr look intriguing. Should I be scratching any of them off my list?

My main interest is for econmomical fun shooting at an accuracy level somewhat better than the basic AR15. Most shooting will be done at 250yd or less.

Greg

i have a 56 mm bell on mine so i have raisers with just some weaver tactical rings. I'll try to get a good pic of them tomorrow for ya. As for the mags i am just using the 10 round mag with a bod sled single shot follower.

as far as the ammo i would scratch off the Tulammo. i've never cared for it or wolf for that matter. What i would do is stay with 55gr or heavier bullets, and before ordering in bulk try a box or 2 of each of the ones you mention and see which one shoots the best in your gun. Mine hasnt seen factory ammo yet. i have only shot reloads in my so far.

Good luck
and like i said, i'll try to get some pic of the scope mounts to give you an idea tomorrow.

Ok, I understand your reluctance to use Wolf, TulAmmo, etc.

My question is specific about TulAmmo 75gr and actual experience. Given this criteria, can you give me specifics about your dislike for the TualAmmo 75gr stuff?

I happen to like the TulAmmo 7.62x39 FMJ stuff for my SKS, and I was wondering about how .223 75gr might work in the 6H for non-accuracy-dependent applictions (plink, Zombie, etc...). I.e. does it function acceptably, and will it make the Invading Horde keep their heads down, etc...?

As you can doubtless see from the light hearted nature of my query; I'm not looking for match accuracy, just reasonable function and plinking accuracy without needing to either handload in bulk, or pay for commercial ammo that's higher in quality and price than I really need. For the higher end accuracy stuff, it's looking like the HD Steel Match 75gr has frugal potential.

As far as scope height is concerned, I'm most interested in cheekweld height with the existing A4 stock and a 40-42mm scope bell.

Magazines will be used loaded at their full capacity. If I want to shoot single feed, I (will) have (a) bolt gun(s) for that. Also looking at a Mossberg MVP as a follow-on (if any actually find their way the market...). The MVP is so far (IMHO) a remarkably well marketed piece of modern firearms mythology.

Greg

I have not shot the TulAmmo 75gr Only the 55gr out of one of my other AR's so i cant help you there.

Now for the cheekweld height on a A4 stock with a 40 mm bell. I have a 6.8 with that same set up and i had to use a tri-rail base to get a quick sight pic. Just rings on the rail were not high enough for my likes. That is something you are going to have to play with yourself since everyone has there own teast

It was my first time reloading for the 223 last week and the groups were way better than using box ammo but still not where I think this rifle should be. I loaded mostly 77's but found that the handful of 69's did group a little better also. Groups ranged from 1.8-3.4" at 300 yds. So more work to do... I was using Varget and I hate crunching the powder down, I might try a different powder that won't be as compressed. I guess I'm used to shaking the cartridge and being able to hear the powder inside.

For optics I have a 50mm objective scope mounted in a LaRue QD SPR-1.5 on the top rail. Works great, lasts a long time, kinda spendy.

Thanks for the clarification, Jaeger.

OK, I'll be checking out See-Thru rings first, and going with a riser if that's not effective.

Greg

Just an updated range report for the model 6H... I'm now shooting 1-1.5" groups at 300 yds pretty consistantly. 77SMK's with 23.5 gr of Varget seems to be what it likes the most. 2600fps which is 100 fps higher than book value so overall I am very pleased with the Stag upper.

Just took delivery on a Stag Model 6H Super Varminter. Wow. Looking forward to sighting it in, probably this coming Monday.

I have two scopes try-mounted in Weaver 1" Quad-Lok See-Thru rings. They appear to marginally high enough for both 42mm and 50mm objectives with clearly adequate clearance vs the forearm. The cheekweld may be OK; will need to shoot it to know for sure.

I like everything about it, can't see (as yet) anything I'd want or need to change. My intention is to set it up for my 15 y/o Granddaughter to use in FV250 F T/R. It sits beautiful on a Harris BR bipod, and already has a forward sling lug in the perfect location.

BTW, are those 77's being loaded to magazine length?

Greg

I have a left handed model 6 upper I just bought from another hide member. It shoots 0.5-0.75" groups at 100 with the 77g SMK loaded to mag length and varget powder. I am going to get out in the next week or so and see what they do at 3-400 yds.

Did a hasty sight-in mounting a Whitetail Classic 6.5-20x50 in the Weaver see-thru's. Got lucky; the rings are just about a perfect height for me.

Only had Federal American Eagle Economy 100 pack 55's to try, sighted in at 250. Groups of ten about palm of the hand size; not very significant, but perhaps a hint of good potential.

Gonna whip up a quick batch of Nosler 50gr BT's for Saturday's FV250 Match. We'll see...

Greg

Updating, I got my Stag 6 and have had it for about a year now. The Weaver T-24 and See-Thru rings mounted directly to the flattop are still working very well for FV-2500 T/R.

As factory ammo, Prvi-Partizan/PPU 69gr and 75gr Match works very well, and the 75gr Match, pulled and reseated over 23.5gr of Varget, is very accurate at 250 yd. I have reloads using PPU brass, CCI BR-4, 23.5gr of Varget, and HDY 75gr HPBT Match, will report.

Last edited:
I have one.Nice gun, and a real shooter. Been busy, and hav'nt done the "reloading", for her yet, but I think she has great potential. Already shoots nice groups, with "plain jane" factory stuff.

Am adding a load of 24.0gr Varget and 69SMK to the testing task, and have researched substituting IMR-4064 for nearly unobtainable Varget. Per the Sierra manual, loads for Varget are nearly identical to IMR-4064 loads for most of the heavier bullets in the AR. This will be researched in the Stag 6 and reported as info accumulates. Since the Stag 6 shoots most loads with surprising accuracy, I suspect it may turn out to be relatively insensitive to minor load variations.

Also on a back burner, using TulAmmo primed cases for "Mexican Match"-styled improved handloads with moderately economical heavier bulk bullets.

Greg

Last edited: