• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Whats your hunting bow setup?

I bought a new Mathews bow (Halon 32 6") this past January after a 6-7 year break in shooting my old
bow which was a Mathews Switchback XT. I loved my old bow but just wanted to "upgrade" to a newer one. When I started piecing it together I bought a 5 pin Spott Hog sight for it. Due to this bow being a little faster and now having a 5 pin sight on it vs the 3 pin sight I used to use the pins were too stacked together for me. I researched different 1 pin sights and settled on one by HHA. I couldn't be happier. I also never imagined that I would be shooting out to 80 yards with a bow either. Now I won't be shooting at deer at that range because as I have found out broadheads act quite differently than field tips but it's a lot of fun. A buddy of mine and I have bought 2 60"x60" targets and several other of the bags and blocks and now have a range behind his house from 20-80 yards with a target placed every 10 yards. We have come up with our own game of Horse, calling our shots and then the other has to make it if you hit your called target. It's a blast!

We have both spent/wasted a bunch of money testing different broadheads as well but that's another story. I am very happy with Gold Tip Pierce Platinum 300 arrows (29" draw @ 70 lbs) as well. Here is a link to the sight:
http://www.lancasterarchery.com/hha-optimizer-lite-ultra-ds-xl5000-ds-xl5019-sight.html

i can't tell you how much easier a 1 pin sight makes it vs a 5 pin sight and I have no worries that it will be an issue during deer season if a quick adjustment is needed. On most of my stands (except fields) I know where the deer are going to be and at what ranges for the most part. This is the only con I can see to a 1 pin sight but I as you can see I couldn't be happier with mine.

In NC for the longest time the only people that could legally hunt with crossbows were people with handicaps who needed notes from a doctor to get the required permit. Call it whatever you want but until I can no longer pull back my bow, you won't see me with one of those things.

Sheepdog, I see your using one of those wrist straps. I used to use one as well until my bow shop guy told me to shoot my bow without it for a week and see if I shot any better. I did. I am guessing it contributed to Hand torque some. I know lots of guys use them but give it a shot and see if it helps any. If you think about it, what does it really do other than look cool?

Last edited:
Yes you of course are correct. I am such a whimp.

I suppose I'lll stop hunting with my AXMC now and just use my 30-30 from here on out.

Let see, my first bow was a longbow, then a recurve and a then a 2 wheel 70# 50% let off compound!

Boy did I ever catch it from the longbow and recurve guys for runnin' that fancy thang...

Actually I think I should sell everything and just get a spear...nah a knife should do it (made of flint of course) I should be able to get that nice buck antelope if I conceal myself very carefully with sage in the dry creek bed, smothered with pronghorn blood and poop. When he comes by I'll just grab his front leg, stab him in the heart (eat it raw of course).

Then I will draw a picture of my hunt on the cave wall with the dull side of my flint knife to show future generations me to be the great hunter, fall asleep with my freshly killed antelope hide as my blanket over my Grizzley bear loin clothed body...yes I do indeed now feel good about myself.

In NC for the longest time the only people that could legally hunt with crossbows were people with handicaps who needed notes from a doctor to get the required permit. Call it whatever you want but until I can no longer pull back my bow, you won't see me with one of those things.

Sheepdog, I see your using one of those wrist straps. I used to use one as well until my bow shop guy told me to shoot my bow without it for a week and see if I shot any better. I did. I am guessing it contributed to Hand torque some. I know lots of guys use them but give it a shot and see if it helps any. If you think about it, what does it really do other than look cool?

I dont know if i "use" it. When i shoot the bow it doesnt really even touch my hands. It came with my bow. Just how my buddy had it setup. Maybe ill try taking it off.

I bought a new Mathews bow (Halon 32 6") this past January after a 6-7 year break in shooting my old
bow which was a Mathews Switchback XT. I loved my old bow but just wanted to "upgrade" to a newer one. When I started piecing it together I bought a 5 pin Spott Hog sight for it. Due to this bow being a little faster and now having a 5 pin sight on it vs the 3 pin sight I used to use the pins were too stacked together for me. I researched different 1 pin sights and settled on one by HHA. I couldn't be happier. I also never imagined that I would be shooting out to 80 yards with a bow either. Now I won't be shooting at deer at that range because as I have found out broadheads act quite differently than field tips but it's a lot of fun. A buddy of mine and I have bought 2 60"x60" targets and several other of the bags and blocks and now have a range behind his house from 20-80 yards with a target placed every 10 yards. We have come up with our own game of Horse, calling our shots and then the other has to make it if you hit your called target. It's a blast!

We have both spent/wasted a bunch of money testing different broadheads as well but that's another story. I am very happy with Gold Tip Pierce Platinum 300 arrows (29" draw @ 70 lbs) as well. Here is a link to the sight:
http://www.lancasterarchery.com/hha-optimizer-lite-ultra-ds-xl5000-ds-xl5019-sight.html

i can't tell you how much easier a 1 pin sight makes it vs a 5 pin sight and I have no worries that it will be an issue during deer season if a quick adjustment is needed. On most of my stands (except fields) I know where the deer are going to be and at what ranges for the most part. This is the only con I can see to a 1 pin sight but I as you can see I couldn't be happier with mine.

Did you buy the HHA optimizer? Which specific model did you go with and why? I have looked into those and they seem legit, but they have a lot of options that i dont understand

Yes. Click on the link I posted above. I like the wheel better than what the cheaper HHA models use. I think it's faster and it also gives you more adjustment for longer shots.

My buddy also bought the same sight right after I did but later switched over to this one:
http://www.lancasterarchery.com/cbe-tek-hybrid-pro-sight-1-pin.html

One thing I like better about his is that instead of using tapes that go on the wheel like a sticker (HHA) his uses metal strips that attach by turning a couple screws. His is much easier to switch out. For example, if your broadheads hit a little lower than your field tips or you go from 3 fletch to 4 fletch, etc and your yardage changes, it's just much simpler to change.

Yes you of course are correct. I am such a whimp.

I suppose I'lll stop hunting with my AXMC now and just use my 30-30 from here on out.

Let see, my first bow was a longbow, then a recurve and a then a 2 wheel 70# 50% let off compound!

Boy did I ever catch it from the longbow and recurve guys for runnin' that fancy thang...

Actually I think I should sell everything and just get a spear...nah a knife should do it (made of flint of course) I should be able to get that nice buck antelope if I conceal myself very carefully with sage in the dry creek bed, smothered with pronghorn blood and poop. When he comes by I'll just grab his front leg, stab him in the heart (eat it raw of course).

Then I will draw a picture of my hunt on the cave wall with the dull side of my flint knife to show future generations me to be the great hunter, fall asleep with my freshly killed antelope hide as my blanket over my Grizzley bear loin clothed body...yes I do indeed now feel good about myself.
I didn't mean to come across as a jerk. The thread is about setups everybody is using. When I originally saw your post I took it as you were suggesting that he switch over to a crossbow and scope. Anyway, sorry.

No big deal man...mostly satire on my part.

If we were in a hunting camp together our discussion would have come off with all three of us laughing and looking forward to the next dawn. Written conversation comes off without the personal expression required to show intent.

I do like the challenge of the hunt. Out here in Wyoming I hunt in some pretty wide open country and getting within 50-70 yards of your quarry is a challenge at times. I have whacked 'em 10 yards to 900. It is all relative as to what your goals and weapon system.

Absolutely no need to apologize at all, pretty difficult to offend me, people have tried to kill me and I get over it.

I have never used a crossbow before, but last year I could have taken this guy scouting pre-season at 70 yards, as it was archery season. As we rolled into rifle he went totally nocturnal, along with his kid. All season the younger buck would be the lookout and you could not approach the old man without alerting the kid.

Even the kid would not get up out of the deep desert canyon until about 5-10 min after legal light. The old boy about 15-20 minutes behind him. Finally on my last day with 2 minutes of legal light left the kid got up and gave me a 5 second window for a shot at 150 yards with my 300 win.

If I can draw that that desert tag again I hope to get another opportunity of the big guy, so that is my primary reasoning to get the 440 fps Scorpyd setup.

Having hunted successfully with the longbow, recurve and compound I do appreciate the skills you are employing in your pursuit, it is about "the hunt" and have great respect for the traditional archer.

Have a great season and enjoy the great freedoms and public land acces we enjoy.

Attachments

• photo46529.jpg
    photo46529.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 39
  • photo47448.jpg
    photo47448.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 22
  • photo47449.jpg
    photo47449.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 30
  • photo47450.jpg
    photo47450.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 28
Back when I was shooting regularly, the sling was to make sure you didn't drop the bow after the shot. I was taught not to "hold" the bow, but to let it ride in your hand without wrapping your fingers around it. This was to prevent torque from your grip. After you release, the top of the bow should fall forward unimpeded by your hand ideally. This was 25 years ago so train of thought may be different now???

Yes. Click on the link I posted above. I like the wheel better than what the cheaper HHA models use. I think it's faster and it also gives you more adjustment for longer shots.

My buddy also bought the same sight right after I did but later switched over to this one:
http://www.lancasterarchery.com/cbe-tek-hybrid-pro-sight-1-pin.html

One thing I like better about his is that instead of using tapes that go on the wheel like a sticker (HHA) his uses metal strips that attach by turning a couple screws. His is much easier to switch out. For example, if your broadheads hit a little lower than your field tips or you go from 3 fletch to 4 fletch, etc and your yardage changes, it's just much simpler to change.

Thanks i will look into these. I was hoping to stay under $100 but it might be worth the extra features you are talking about.

I shoot an Elite Answer with custom MBG 4 pin Ascent slider sight.
20, 30, & 40yd pins are .019"
.010" pin for 50yd, and longer

Anything past 50yds uses that same bottom pin, and dialed for distance...

Also fairly new to bow bunting, and loving it! Picked up an Xpedition Xterra about three years ago. Nothing fancy, and not new anymore, but it works and I've shot some deer. It's got a tru glow 5 pin sight, which I like a lot. Actually wish I had more pins to offer more flexibility in range.

Attachments

• photo57779.jpg
    photo57779.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 57
Back when I was shooting regularly, the sling was to make sure you didn't drop the bow after the shot. I was taught not to "hold" the bow, but to let it ride in your hand without wrapping your fingers around it. This was to prevent torque from your grip. After you release, the top of the bow should fall forward unimpeded by your hand ideally. This was 25 years ago so train of thought may be different now???

I was taught the same about three years ago, and was sold a sling on my bow.

The sling doesn't really come into play when shooting at targets on flat ground. But when you're in a treestand and shooting down at the 45 degree angle, that sling could save your bow from a long drop down...

Oh okay. I honestly wasnt sure what the wrist sling was for. I can definitely see what your talking about if yiu are in a tree stand though. I think im going this week to get some new arrows cut for it, and get some swacker expandables.

-Hoyt defiant 34 @31" #70
-MBG ascent 6"dovetail 3 pin
-Hamskea hybrid hunter pro
-bee stinger 15" freestyle out front and a 10" on the sidebar
-shooting with a nock2it and silverback
-black eagle Spartans @474gr, 4 fletch vanetec swifts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mathews Chill R 32" #70 85% let off rock mods
HHA Optimizer Lite sliding single pin sight
QAD Ultra Rest LD
12" Bee stinger
Tight spot 5 arrow quiver

-Hoyt defiant 34 @31" #70
-MBG ascent 6"dovetail 3 pin
-Hamskea hybrid hunter pro
-bee stinger 15" freestyle out front and a 10" on the sidebar
-shooting with a nock2it and silverback
-black eagle Spartans @474gr, 4 fletch vanetec swifts

Those defiants are awesome. Cameron Hanes is the man!!

Yep it's a great bow. Will upgrade this fall, wait for all the new bows to come out. Tell you what that new PSE evolve is sure nice to shoot as well.

Hoyt Maxxis 31
Spot Hogg Real Deal
Tight Spot 5 arrow quiver
Carter release

I have drawn a good tag this year for elk. I have always been a rifle hunter stick and string is new to me. Fingers crossed

Bowtech 360 @ 70#
ACC 3-60 @ 30ish"
Fall away rest
Winn glove with an old carter trigger
Flashpoint sight
460ish gr @ 300ish fps
Gets the job done.

R

My hunting bow setup is a 70# PSE Evolve 35. Montana Black Gold custom 3 pin sight. Shrewd Onyx stabilizers and Hamskea Hybrid rest.

20170421_182054_zpsymtzjtta.jpg

20170421_182116_zpsiriu9lrg.jpg

I use a Mathews HTR at 67# with a 3 pin sight. Was going to switch to a 5 pin this year but I am really interested in a single pin with IQ technology. I really enjoy the bow. Very easy to shoot and doesn't go out of tune. I'm? Running a little light compared to some, and use a whisper biscuit instead of a fall away but I think I recall being at around 280fps with Easton carbons and a 100gr Rage. Now if I could just get them inside 40y during early season :) Seems they sit at 60y all archery season and once ML starts every time I leave it in the truck and grab a ML the damn things come into 15 yards. I started taking both after I bucked out last year but that's a pain in the ass.

i just purchase this off of a close friend of mine. Mathews Heli-m. Its my first bow, and i am very happy with it so far and how easy it is to shoot. One thing i think I would like to change is the 5 pin sight.... I dont really like how busy it is.

how to upload a photo on fb

You should check out the trophy ridge react single pin....its good for 20 to 100y.

Hoyt Defiant 34"
Montana black gold ascent
tight spot
short and sweet release
Easton FMJ injexion
QAD exodus broadheads
Bee stinger stabilizer

Love bowhunting. I would rather shoot critters with my bow and steel with my rifle, but I will not hesitate to pick up the boomstick when I don't get anything in archery season.
Some of my most memorable experiences outdoors have been when I had a bow in my hand.

Athens Archery Revelation / Limbsaver PT100 / Dead Ringer The Wheel 4 pin / TAP Stabilizer / Tight Spot 3 arrow quiver / Element Typhoon arrows / Tactacam

08a8d797758a9fba3cc559650549a7bc.jpg

Last edited:
Hoyt Charger w/ Trophy Ridge React Pro.
Will be grabbing a Obession Def Con before the year is out.
Gold Tip Hunter XT 340's w/ Rage 2 blade
Can get to 85yards comfortably in the yard. 100 if get into the corn or beans. 12-50's with climber on light pole.

Attachments

• photo72019.jpg
    photo72019.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 29
  • photo72021.jpg
    photo72021.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 28
  • photo72022.jpg
    photo72022.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 28
And I'm sure most have seen the DIY PVC bow holders. But definetly worth the couple bucks an 20 minutes to put together.
I live 1 mile from work so we regularly come to the house and shoot at lunch 2-3 times a week year round.

Attachments

• photo72020.jpg
    photo72020.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 19
Word, well IDK if i helped influenced your decision, but glad its working out for you. I love the react series on my speed bows. I've got the original one on a diamond infinite edge...even at 27" and 70 lbs it still doesnt quite work that good on that bow...probably from the velocity from a cheaper bow, with cheaper cams. In mule deer country having at least 80 yards is pretty big for me. Saved my kill during the august opening weekend. 3x3 saw me walking down a path and took off up a small hill and parallel with the path. I just stayed on the path until i got closer, lazed him a 76y. Sealed the deal. I'm not sure if by luck or if im that good haha