• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision What's your MAWL setup?

t9regg

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2021
Johns Island, SC
I found a few scattered replies to this question throughout the forum, but wanted to see if there was interest in consolidating answers under this thread (apologies if it exists elsewhere and I missed it).

If you're like me, replacing one piece of equipment on your rail can lead to a domino effect of moving or needing to refit other attachments, especially on a CQB rail length rifle. And before buying something new at today's $$$$, I like to know if it'll fit in advance.

Anyway, for would be or future MAWL buyers, hopefully this thread can help save time and money in the 'where does it go, how does it fit' problem.

Here is my setup:

LMT MRP Piston (9.25"cqb quad rail)
MAWL-C1+ with EC2 Tail cap, born on 11/2021
Surefire M600DF with new low profile mount (pivot arm with 180-ish degree pivot arm)
Surefire DS07 Tail cap and SR07 pressure switch
Front post is Troy HK Fixed Battle Sight

It all fits, with no rub or contact between components.

Thoughts I'd share...

1) My hands are too small to use a vertical grip and reach the MAWL's output switch (cycling range modes), but my hamfisted shooting partner can reach just fine with the vert grip.
2) I like the rotation and flexibility of the new surefire low pro mount, but the mounting screw is not confidence inspiring (from looks alone). I'll update this thought after running the rifle through its paces.
3) My front post does inhibit my ability to slide from medium to long range without shifting my grip, but that is a trade-off I am comfortable with given the space saved by the fixed post and my undying commitment to have BUIS.

Hope this helps someone, hope others can post their set-up and observations, too!

IMG_6397.jpgIMG_6398.jpgIMG_6399.jpgIMG_6400.jpgIMG_6401.jpg

Reactions: diverdon
I’m running my MAWL over the top of my Cloud Micro Rein and all switches on the top rail. I have changed out my Aimpoint T2 mount to the Unity FAST and ditched the irons on front and back but otherwise the rifle is as you see it. I run this one with a Griffin Recce5 can. :)

She is a nice lightweight and very portable package.

- Magpul Pro front sight
- Surefire w/ KE2C Head, Arisaka pic mount, DS00 tail cap and modbutton lite
- Legacy MAWL
- BCM QRF12 and 13.9” Criterion pinned w/ DA FH

Accurate, durable (read “heavy”) and gassed just right. I’ve thought about swapping the modbutton and front sight but haven’t had issues with accidentally hitting my white light.

Had a KAG grip and liked it for quick drills but it really complicated things when shooting from a supported position so I ditched it since the reward wasn’t worth the trade off to me.

Standard height mount on LPVO and love that the sight picture hardly obstructed at all. When @gebhardt02 perfects and releases a 2-16 I’ll have it on this setup:love:

B45451B2-2046-45B9-8214-548A157B25D1.jpeg
9215BAA5-E3C7-4143-AF02-C15FF3C89B52.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: gebhardt02
Morning guys- Going to dip my toe in the NV game and sticking to the buy once, cry once so the MAWL is on my short list.

Since I live in Commiefornia, cans are not in the realm of possibility so my plan is to run my NV setup with an A2 muzzle device. (Extended A2 on a pinned & welded 14.5)

Do I need to worry about the carbon building up on the lenses of the MAWL? Looks like everything is covered when it's in the OFF position and then recessed behind the opening when in-use so I should be good?

The plan is to try my Cloud Rein Micro at 3 o'clock under the MAWL like Dvlray6 above but possibly swap over to my Surefire Scout 300 if the weight/balance is an issue. Or possibly ditch the tape switch and go clicky on the left side (better balance?).

Any advice/comments are appreciated. And yes, I do realize the best advice is to leave CA 😁

Thanks!

Do I need to worry about the carbon building up on the lenses of the MAWL? Looks like everything is covered when it's in the OFF position and then recessed behind the opening when in-use so I should be good?
Yeah a little bit. All the newer production units have removable propellor caps on the front though, so you can pop it off to clean up the emitter lenses as needed. Will encounter this with most any laser units unless they’re very deeply hooded.

Help me understand why you are running a flashlight and MAWL together. If your running a MAWL then your running NODS so you can see in the dark. The whole purpose is see and not be seen to some extent. Turning on the flashlight defeats both your NODS and gives you away when your doing whatever it is your doing to need night vision and IR laser in the 1st place? I can see running a flashlight if you have no night vision but? If it's to be tacticool then ok, looks cool to your buddies?

I can’t think of a reason to not have an actual white light on a carbine. I’d rather have it not need it. 18350 cell modlights are crazy bright, small and light.

I have my MAWL on a 10.75” URX 4 and use a Unity Hot Button in front of the MAWL for white light. The different angle for the hot button minimizes the chance of a white light ND but it’s right there if you need it.

Reactions: bforney1984
Help me understand why you are running a flashlight and MAWL together. If your running a MAWL then your running NODS so you can see in the dark. The whole purpose is see and not be seen to some extent. Turning on the flashlight defeats both your NODS and gives you away when your doing whatever it is your doing to need night vision and IR laser in the 1st place? I can see running a flashlight if you have no night vision but? If it's to be tacticool then ok, looks cool to your buddies?
Valid question... As I said, Im just getting/looking into this. Granted, all my AR's have white lights so I would, theoretically, be able to grab another rifle?

Never considered having a dedicated night-time rifle but I can see the benefits. In a SHTF scenario, each member of my household has their own rifle. Would I want mine to be without a white light? Maybe because Id have my NODS? Perhaps...

Just trying to learn here...

There might be a time where the NODS just don't do the job and white light is the best option. Personally I run the SF Vampire lights with NV so I have both IR and visible light available. There are many products available, I just found SF to suit my needs.

I will readily admit the Rein "micro" is hardly micro like the SF & Modlite options 🤣

Might end up being a better option to tuck up nice and tight and shave some ounces, we'll see 👍

We think alike. That is one of my main reasons for going with the Surefire M340V Pro. Tucked in nice and saved some weight too!

I have a similar setup to @rlsmith1.

Etx4786.jpg

The Modbutton Lite is a dual-lead that activates the Modlite 18350 (which is on an Arisaka offset mount) via a DS00 tailcap. The laser lead is plugged into the B port of the MAWL. When the MAWL is off the Modbutton activates the white light alone, when the MAWL is in visible mode it activates the light and MAWL laser simultaneously. The only downside is when the MAWL is in IR mode you could have an ND of the white light, though the different button should prevent that. I also give the DS00 a quarter-turn when running IR mode to prevent the white light from activating.

The rifle is a 12.5" 6.5 Grendel SBR. It has a Leupold Mk5 3-18 for day use and a piggybacked Trijicon SRO for passive night use.

I have a similar setup to @rlsmith1.

Etx4786.jpg

The Modbutton Lite is a dual-lead that activates the Modlite 18350 (which is on an Arisaka offset mount) via a DS00 tailcap. The laser lead is plugged into the B port of the MAWL. When the MAWL is off the Modbutton activates the white light alone, when the MAWL is in visible mode it activates the light and MAWL laser simultaneously. The only downside is when the MAWL is in IR mode you could have an ND of the white light, though the different button should prevent that. I also give the DS00 a quarter-turn when running IR mode to prevent the white light from activating.

The rifle is a 12.5" 6.5 Grendel SBR. It has a Leupold Mk5 3-18 for day use and a piggybacked Trijicon SRO for passive night use.
I’ve thought about a vampire head on my light so I can turn it completely off. I haven’t though because I’ve not had an issue with ND on white light. Like the idea of turning the DS00 out a little bit

Morning guys- Going to dip my toe in the NV game and sticking to the buy once, cry once so the MAWL is on my short list.

Since I live in Commiefornia, cans are not in the realm of possibility so my plan is to run my NV setup with an A2 muzzle device. (Extended A2 on a pinned & welded 14.5)

The plan is to try my Cloud Rein Micro at 3 o'clock under the MAWL like Dvlray6 above but possibly swap over to my Surefire Scout 300 if the weight/balance is an issue. Or possibly ditch the tape switch and go clicky on the left side (better balance?).

Any advice/comments are appreciated. And yes, I do realize the best advice is to leave CA 😁

Thanks!
Honestly if you cannot own a suppressor, I would consider a 16” barrel that is a reasonable profile (not HBAR). 16” gives you flexibility down the road, moves muzzle blast forward, and let’s you choose a mounting system for your suppressor once you wise up and move to a free state😉

ETA: if you were going to suppress a 13.9-ish barrel, you’d be the same length and heavier than a 16” with a muzzle device

I’ve thought about a vampire head on my light so I can turn it completely off. I haven’t though because I’ve not had an issue with ND on white light. Like the idea of turning the DS00 out a little bit
Surefire advertises the DS00 as having a "system disable" function. When I bought my first one I was like "I can't find the lockout switch" so I called Surefire customer service and they were just like "Unscrew it til it won't function, that's the lockout feature." 🤥

Honestly if you cannot own a suppressor, I would consider a 16” barrel that is a reasonable profile (not HBAR). 16” gives you flexibility down the road, moves muzzle blast forward, and let’s you choose a mounting system for your suppressor once you wise up and move to a free state😉

ETA: if you were going to suppress a 13.9-ish barrel, you’d be the same length and heavier than a 16” with a muzzle device
I've already got 3 completed rifles so Im kinda committed to what Ive got built. I'm happy with my BCM's and LaRue 👍

I see what you're saying though... Maybe if we have another kid and I can justify a new rifle 🤣

Reactions: rlsmith1
Surefire advertises the DS00 as having a "system disable" function. When I bought my first one I was like "I can't find the lockout switch" so I called Surefire customer service and they were just like "Unscrew it til it won't function, that's the lockout feature." 🤥
Same for me on my first DS00. But I didn't have to call them. Figured it out on my own but that was sure a let down.

Guess all lights have "lockout feature". Unscrew them till they dont work.

Them marketing guys come up with all kinds of BS. :LOL:

I found a few scattered replies to this question throughout the forum, but wanted to see if there was interest in consolidating answers under this thread (apologies if it exists elsewhere and I missed it).

If you're like me, replacing one piece of equipment on your rail can lead to a domino effect of moving or needing to refit other attachments, especially on a CQB rail length rifle. And before buying something new at today's $$$$, I like to know if it'll fit in advance.

Anyway, for would be or future MAWL buyers, hopefully this thread can help save time and money in the 'where does it go, how does it fit' problem.

Here is my setup:

LMT MRP Piston (9.25"cqb quad rail)
MAWL-C1+ with EC2 Tail cap, born on 11/2021
Surefire M600DF with new low profile mount (pivot arm with 180-ish degree pivot arm)
Surefire DS07 Tail cap and SR07 pressure switch
Front post is Troy HK Fixed Battle Sight

It all fits, with no rub or contact between components.

Thoughts I'd share...

1) My hands are too small to use a vertical grip and reach the MAWL's output switch (cycling range modes), but my hamfisted shooting partner can reach just fine with the vert grip.
2) I like the rotation and flexibility of the new surefire low pro mount, but the mounting screw is not confidence inspiring (from looks alone). I'll update this thought after running the rifle through its paces.
3) My front post does inhibit my ability to slide from medium to long range without shifting my grip, but that is a trade-off I am comfortable with given the space saved by the fixed post and my undying commitment to have BUIS.

Hope this helps someone, hope others can post their set-up and observations, too!

View attachment 7781657View attachment 7781658View attachment 7781659View attachment 7781660View attachment 7781661
Ditch the vertical grip, you don't need it. My tail switch is to the 9 o'clock of the MAWL so I don't have to move my hand, just my thumb to use the light. You have a great laser for most needs.

I've already got 3 completed rifles so Im kinda committed to what Ive got built. I'm happy with my BCM's and LaRue 👍

I see what you're saying though... Maybe if we have another kid and I can justify a new rifle 🤣
Gotcha, as far as muzzle blast, I wouldn’t stick it right next to the muzzle. I’ve got mine set back a couple inches just to be safe

I’m not the guy your question was directed at, but I’ll answer anyways. Your question is one that is brought up frequently by guys still trying to figure things out as far as rifle setup and application, so take the following question with zero sarcasm as I am assuming that I’m helping someone who is still learning about the topic at hand.

Have you ever considered the possibility that someone’s rifle might be set up to serve multiple purposes or be adequately equipped for more than just one specific application?

One example: My primary home defense rifle is also the rifle I use with night vision. White light is my choice for seeing at night in and around my home. I am far from alone in the use of that doctrine.

Last edited:
Every true 24 hr rifle needs white light for a lot of reasons.

Here is just one example: If the opposing force lights you up with white light your NODS will be effectively washed out and you have no NODS at that point, so you have to immediately be able to transition to White Light (and much stronger White Light at that) and a Green or Red Vis point.

Or go thermal.