• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Whats Your Personal Goal ?

skinney_7

Hammer down.
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 23, 2008
    SD
    www.oneillops.com
    Seems like I'm always setting new goals for myself, I tell myself once I hit a certain goal i'm gonna level it off, those heavy weights, hillwork, sled and plyo's get a guy stiff and sore... but I'm always back out there pushin harder to set new P.R's...
    just wondering what some of your guy's personal records, goals, etc. are???

Re: Whats Your Personal Goal ?

Funny you should post this as I have been asking myself that question for a few weeks now. What are my fitness/training goals? I have been active most of my life. Most of my adult life fitness pursuits have been either running or some form of weight training. As I related in another thread, all that stopped when I discovered some disc compression. Then a couple of years ago, I realized I better do something to be more fit or I would miss out on a lot of activities with my children.

So, now I have regained a base level of fitness and strength. To what end? Crossfit is a great resource for pithy little sayings and when I asked my trainer - rhetorically - what I was training so hard for, he replied, "to not suck at life." Okay.

Still, something a bit more specific - an identifiable target as it were - would be a good thing to have. One of the guys at our gym just ran an adventure race and loved it. He now trains with the goal of doing another adventure race in the future. But I am 50 years old and quite frankly, I do not like to "camp-out."

So after assimilating all this, I have determined a couple of short term goals I am going to pursue: 1) Flexibility - I have none..., well, very little. I would like to reacquire the flexibility I should have had and kept up in my 20's (or at least 30's). 2) Running - I want to get back into running something longer than 2-3km, without pain, and preferably without shoes.

So my goal is to turn back the clock..., without breaking the spring or other vital parts.

Well, I'm 64 years old. My goal is to maintain a level of fitness which will let me do the things I want to do, as well as maintain a level of cardiovascular health which enhances my longevity. (My father is 94, and still here, so I may have some good genes.)

I ride a bicycle for an hour most days, weather permitting, do some light weight work for upper-body strength, as well as core exercises for abs and lower back. Nothing extreme - my triathlon days are long gone.

And at the end of the day, I do a couple of 12-ounce curls. Sometimes, actually, I do those before the end of the day...
    laugh.gif

I want to make it to step six of 10 in every area of the Convict Conditioning program before I leave for basic next March. I want to clear the program by the end of next summer. I also want to run a three mile in under 21:00 by the end of next summer.

My goal was a 400lb bench press and a marathon within 30days of each other but injury/swelling in both elbows and reality squashed that. Now its 300lb bench and a marathon. Im good to go on the 300lb and up to 15miles on the run so its comming along. I also wanted 6pack abs at 40 and thats a long term project, Im about 15% body fat now and I know I need to get down to 10-11% to make it happen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to bench twice my weight and run a 5K in under 23:30. I'm currently benching 1.76X my weight and running 26:20. </div></div>

Great topic for my first post... I have always thought that 200% bodyweight bench was one of the most impressive lifts. It's one thing for a 250lb guy to bench 405, but quite another to see a 150lb guy do 315. 176% is really good.

I was thinking about setting some new goals for myself as well. Last year it was to see how many bodyweight bp's plus pull ups in a superset I could do. This year I think it might be working on flexibility. I am always working on my diet but I have come to realize that I just really like to eat... a lot!

My personal goal is to be able to run a mile full speed with out being dead. I have horrible cardio now a days, I let myself get fat an old. After that there’s a 5 mile bike trail near my place I want that by the end of the year. Not at an all out sprint but running it non stop is good enough.

Short term, I'd like to be able to lift weights for an hour without putting myself in crippling pain for a week afterward. I know that may sound pathetic to many on here, but for me that would be a real breakthrough. I also want to be able to see my toes (without bending over) by the end of the year.

Long term, I want to bench 305 for reps and do pyramiding super sets of hammer curls like I used to. I started with 50 pound dumbbells and did 12 reps, set them down and immediately picked up the 60s for 10, the 70s for 8, etc. until I had a pair of 100s for 2 reps, then I worked back down in weight/up in reps, finishing with the 50s for 12 reps. There was no break in the rhythm or wait between weights/reps. Two sets of those and my arms felt like they were made of molten lead!

My shoulders and knees are too banged up for heavy lifting anymore, but i need to start doing it for exercise and total body work out soon. I'd just like to be 190 again. Two sport college athlete and went from 205 during football to a lean 195 during track. Now I'm up to 215. Started doing miles and stairs on the football steps to get ready for hunting season, but it's going to take more than a few miles to lose 25 lbs

My goal was a Century bike race...Now its to do a Century and not feel like I'm going to die the last 30 miles!

Next Springs is a Olympic Triathlon!

100 pull ups, 200 push ups, 300 sit ups. Run 13 miles. Swim 2.5 miles. Bike 100 miles. Lift my body weight.

Do this all before I turn 55.

Getting there. Running is the hardest part. Pull ups are tough too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NRAShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">100 pull ups, 200 push ups, 300 sit ups. Run 13 miles. Swim 2.5 miles. Bike 100 miles. Lift my body weight.

Getting there. Running is the hardest part. Pull ups are tough too. </div></div>

100 pull ups in one set? That's nuts. I can do 40 and I'm a freak, no way I could do 100. I'm 5'10" 195, maybe if I dropped 20-30 lbs... I dunno that's still a lot... good luck!

Cool thread. To the guy that says 100 pull-ups: In a single set? To the guy who can do 40 pull-ups: Yes you are a freak. Good for you.

My goals are:
    -100 pushups. Currently at 65.
    -25 pullups. Currently at 18.
    -3 miles in under 17:00 Current PR 17:32, but in the sake of full disclosure that was a few months ago and I have taken time off for healing and would be pushing it break 20:00 now.
    -Bench 350. Can do 275 now.
    -Squat 450. Unsure how much I can do because I am too much of a wuss to push it.
    -Deadlift 550. Unsure how much I can do because I am too wise to push it.
    -Like what I see in the mirror.

I hope this thread keeps going!
    -Chris

Bag all the running. Your going to kill you knee's when you get older. Biking is better and alot better on the joints. Trust me on this at 20 years in and one major knee overhaul.Im 50 now and paying for it. Keep lean. Bulk/heavy muscle slows you down.

100 pull ups in one set would be awesome. For now, I'll settle on 100 pull ups total. I'm at 80 right now, thirty, twenty five and twenty five. I between its pushups and situps. Very envigorating to say the least.

I have been weight lifting for over 20 years now. My shoulders are shot along with my hands, back, and knees. My new goals are to go strictly cardio so I can more enjoy the hobbies I love the most. (Hunting and fishing)

2:27 marathon. I was in shape for much better than that before the career and kids but never executed (2:28 best). It would be nice to bench 150% of my body weight again but I doubt I would have time for both anymore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cinch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been weight lifting for over 20 years now. My shoulders are shot along with my hands, back, and knees. My new goals are to go strictly cardio so I can more enjoy the hobbies I love the most. (Hunting and fishing) </div></div>

I know all about a bad back, got the MRI in my 3rd yr of college had two herniated discs, broken cartilage between my L6 vertibrae, my left foot would go numb and couldn't control it... doc told me i would never squat again, F that noise, even after playin 3 sports at college, i've had all my personal best lifts, and fastest 40-60-and 100M times after being hurt, just passed my all time goal 405X3 of hangcleans a week ago, and plan on stackin on more, might as well go as heavy as i can befor its too late. HAMMER DOWN!!!

I want to get to 6% bodyfat next summer,I made it to 7-8% last summer before I decided to start bulking up again.I hope to gain 6-8 lbs. of muscle over the winter and start cutting in February and see how far I can go with it before I lose my mind from the dieting and cardio.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinney</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cinch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been weight lifting for over 20 years now. My shoulders are shot along with my hands, back, and knees. My new goals are to go strictly cardio so I can more enjoy the hobbies I love the most. (Hunting and fishing) </div></div>

I know all about a bad back, got the MRI in my 3rd yr of college had two herniated discs, broken cartilage between my L6 vertibrae, my left foot would go numb and couldn't control it... doc told me i would never squat again, F that noise, even after playin 3 sports at college, i've had all my personal best lifts, and fastest 40-60-and 100M times after being hurt, just passed my all time goal 405X3 of hangcleans a week ago, and plan on stackin on more, might as well go as heavy as i can befor its too late. HAMMER DOWN!!! </div></div>

Wait, did you just say you're doing hangcleans with 405#? I'm not calling BS, but that is amazing. I couldn't deadlift 405 just to get it into position to clean it. You must be a beast. I'm 185#, and strong as hell as that's almost double what I could do, maybe more.

Goals (perpetual)

A: don't get fat
    B: don't get weak
    C: don't get diabetes

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wait, did you just say you're doing hangcleans with 405#? I'm not calling BS, but that is amazing. I couldn't deadlift 405 just to get it into position to clean it. You must be a beast. I'm 185#, and strong as hell as that's almost double what I could do, maybe more. </div></div>
    Yes sir i did it. a beast no, 6'1 230, don't drink or eat crap just how i roll, try to be disciplined, try to keep uppin my personal goals.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinney</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wait, did you just say you're doing hangcleans with 405#? I'm not calling BS, but that is amazing. I couldn't deadlift 405 just to get it into position to clean it. You must be a beast. I'm 185#, and strong as hell as that's almost double what I could do, maybe more. </div></div>
    Yes sir i did it. a beast no, 6'1 230, don't drink or eat crap just how i roll, try to be disciplined, try to keep uppin my personal goals. </div></div>

Skinney sent me a link to him doing this. Skinney, you should post it up for everyone, it's pretty impressive. You <span style="text-decoration: underline">are</span> a beast!

I work out hard to support my passion - Chocolate (and so some skinny tool doesn't whip my ass a work one day)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim K</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinney</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wait, did you just say you're doing hangcleans with 405#? I'm not calling BS, but that is amazing. I couldn't deadlift 405 just to get it into position to clean it. You must be a beast. I'm 185#, and strong as hell as that's almost double what I could do, maybe more. </div></div>
    Yes sir i did it. a beast no, 6'1 230, don't drink or eat crap just how i roll, try to be disciplined, try to keep uppin my personal goals. </div></div>

Skinney sent me a link to him doing this. Skinney, you should post it up for everyone, it's pretty impressive. You <span style="text-decoration: underline">are</span> a beast!

</div></div>

x2. Post it up! If Tim says you do it I believe you. But believing it and seeing it are different things!

-Chris

I was in the process of trying to get my bench up from 350 to 400 over the last couple of months. Started out real good and made it up to 375 for one rep. Able to rep 315 a few times times and a few sets. My shoulders started hurting a few weeks ago so I stopped to see if things would clear up. Had not had shoulder pain before. The pain has not gone away much as of yet in the past 3 weeks. I have been doing very very light weight just to get some blood pumped into them. It appears that I do not heal nearly as quickly as I did when I was in my 20's. I am a few months past 43 now. I am going to continue to try and get to 400 but might take me some time.

My goal is to live to see my 4 year old graduate college and get married. I am 41 y.o. 245 lbs and 5'11. Not at my game shape anymore. Have had my back cut on once already and don't won't to go through that again. I don't bonce or heal like I did 20 years ago. Starting P90x in the morning. What does not kill will make us stronger.

I will be 46 in December and I'd like to get my body fat from 16.4% down to 13% over the next four months. I don't care how much I can lift or how fast I can run. Those two are just a means to an end.

Turned 31 this summer and making the transition from pure weight lifter / power athlete to general fitness / endurance athlete. Have dropped about 15 pounds using beach body insanity taking me from 215 to 200 and am currently trying to figure out the balance between fitness and muscle mass - lost some muscle from insanity so adding back in a healthy dose of weights to supplement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jammyband</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NRAShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">100 pull ups, 200 push ups, 300 sit ups. Run 13 miles. Swim 2.5 miles. Bike 100 miles. Lift my body weight.

Getting there. Running is the hardest part. Pull ups are tough too. </div></div>

100 pull ups in one set? That's nuts. I can do 40 and I'm a freak, no way I could do 100. I'm 5'10" 195, maybe if I dropped 20-30 lbs... I dunno that's still a lot... good luck! </div></div>

Ok I gotta brag up my Dad. He set his highschool record with 165 consecutive pullups, he just wanted to match his body weight and then quit. He turns 68 in November and can still bust out 30 but has to stop because his wrists hurt (broke both in his 30s in a motorcycle accident). Its funny how we are wired, he can do all those pullups but could never do more than 50pushups in a single set. And its definetly not genetic, I think the most pullups I have ever done is 12 and thought I was going to die.

I am sure I would fall over dead before finishing 5 miles.

My power lifting days are over , I still train heavy but never for one rep max. I'm as strong as I'll ever need to be just want to maintain and pregressivly get harder and harder.

Stay healthy so I can play with my some and then his kids.

I plan to be that 50 yr old guy that walks down the beach and makes all the Frat boys put their shirt back on

LOL. This many replies and it's me who says I want to look good naked. Really just trying to make it from 48 to 78, as I'll probably still be working then the way things are going.

Right now I'm just trying to get more dedicated to my running and adjusting my schedule to try and build up rather than simply maintain. I decided a long time ago that living and working in FL would be easier inside. Sitting down all day is not helping my metabolism though.

Full Ironman would be just too cool. 2.4 mile ocean swim, 112 mile bike ride, run 26.2 miles. Complete in less than 10 hours would be fantastic.

Eat cleaner, be leaner, still would like to pull 900, my powerlifting is about over time to get lean and mean before I get old.

About a year ago I would have answered this question by saying something along the lines of "Do another Ironman" or "Run the 2800 feet up Dog Mountain....twice".

After having most of the ligaments in my knee reconstructed about two weeks ago, I'll change my reply to "Get my leg to bend to 90 degrees" and "Walk again".

My most honest answer is "To not eventually die as a result of eating too much crap or being a slug" and "To live long enough to see my children grow old." And with that, I'm off to do my physical therapy.....

Continue learning. Continue doing. Continue teaching. Continue growing. Be an enabler for the willing, a protector for the weak, and a combative force against the evil. Family 1st. And, rip a clover-leaf with a 300WM at 1k yds.

I would like to lose 60 to 80 lbs in the next year.
    get into shape cardio wise & be able to bench above 350.
    (If I said bench 2x my weight I would lifting almost 600lbs..haha)

Lose about 80ibs (gained a shit load after injury and a medical condition that fucked my whole world up)

Get my bench back to 400ibs
    squat 750ibs
    deadlift 700ibs

run two mile in under 14:00 (never was a great runner)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norcal Phoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[
    Ok I gotta brag up my Dad. He set his highschool record with 165 consecutive pullups, he just wanted to match his body weight and then quit. He turns 68 in November and can still bust out 30 but has to stop because his wrists hurt (broke both in his 30s in a motorcycle accident). Its funny how we are wired, he can do all those pullups but could never do more than 50pushups in a single set. And its definetly not genetic, I think the most pullups I have ever done is 12 and thought I was going to die. </div></div>

WTF! What do you mean by 165 consecutive pullups?

Sub-2:28 marathon. That's around 5:40/mile.

Some folks are wired for pullups, when I was younger I never thought to max them out to see how many I could do, but always maxed my Army PT tests and did the pullups one handed...

Decided long ago that most things in life are better when kept within reasonable limits. Repetitive movements on any part of your body has a finite number of cycles, stress the machine too much and that number goes down. Stay strong and execute what you like to do within reason of your capabilities.

I just turned 47 and run, swim and bike each one twice a week. I don't over do it, but I can still complete my annual half-ironman triathlon, have a couple beers on the weekend and the occasional nice cigar at the range. I like the balance.

Very interesting question!

For me, wake every morning with smile and my wife, my childrens. Want to go to work...

I would like to go to USA to continue my job (maintenance manager in a plant) and possess weapons freely... (why not, continue to be reservist!!)