• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Whats your powder observations? (not just velocity and pressure)

8AteEight

Private
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2011
SEI
Hey, So I see how the Caliber and bullet comparisons did, I was thinkin the same for powders. What are ALL the things you've observed about the powders you've used? Everything you can think of.

Here's Mine:

Varget: Very well rounded powder, seems to shoot most bullets well in all of the calibers I use. Not dirty, not temp. sensitive, not a bad powder to start into hand loading with.

Hybrid 100V: I seem to be in the minority here, but I like it (mostly) I don't load this one hot, as it keeps the wife shooting at my side longer. But it seems accurate, as it'll do MOA out of a cheapo Youth combo Remmy700. It's dirty. Leaves a fun lil soot ring on all the brass, and the gun really gets dirty.

Handguns:

Hodgdon Clays: Super soft and not loud shooter in 9s and .38s. Very clean powder and light charge weights made a pound (14oz in this case) go a looooooong way. The down side is pressure spikes really fast, and you can get into trouble quick. Clays is NOT for the beginner reloader, but its great to get the beginning shooter going.

Universal: Even cleaner than clays. Much more noise and recoil, though. Shooting the 2 side by side really brings out the differences. Its the most accurate powder I tried. Hits minute of beer bottle at 12yards every time.

Accurate #9: Great for the velocity freak. Seems like you could just keep cramming powder in (dont do that) and it just keeps goin up.

Power Pistol: This is my favorite for the handguns. Loud and Proud. I like shooting this one just after dusk, ('Specially in my ole 10mm, why I ever sold her...) The fireball comin outta the barrel really is impressive, as is the noise and recoil. Accuracy was pretty good, but not as good as universal. Also, a lil dirtier than Univ. or Clays.

K, you're up: what have you seen in your stuff?

002.jpg

They're all delicious and everyone has it's place in my powder stable.

Chris

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 10
ya know Chris, Its only a matter of time till you're demonized and called a Hoarder. So to help you out Im sending you my shipping info, cuz you need to spread the wealth around, its good for everybody. :D good collection ya got there.

ya know Chris, Its only a matter of time till you're demonized and called a Hoarder. So to help you out Im sending you my shipping info, cuz you need to spread the wealth around, its good for everybody. :D good collection ya got there.

Ha!

Those are only the sealed ones.

Cover your bases, while you can, no pun intended.

Chris

Last edited:
Varget and H-4895, my go-to powders for most rifle that I shoot.

Still using a 8-lb bottle of Bulls-Eye from several years ago for pistol powder (wish I could use it up, I'd try something different).

IMR 8208, in .223 shot really good, velocities good but but can get squirrely quick when you get up to the max. I had a couple of barrels that went south a little quicker than expected shooting it, both barrels in a row; would still be using it for .223 except for that issue.

Varget and H-4895, my go-to powders for most rifle that I shoot.

Still using a 8-lb bottle of Bulls-Eye from several years ago for pistol powder (wish I could use it up, I'd try something different).

IMR 8208, in .223 shot really good, velocities good but but can get squirrely quick when you get up to the max. I had a couple of barrels that went south a little quicker than expected shooting it, both barrels in a row; would still be using it for .223 except for that issue.

W231/HP38 for all my small pistol rounds.
W760/H414 for 260 Rem and 7-08
WC846, BL-C2 for 223
Varget for 22-250AI and light 270
IMR4350 and IMR 4831 for heavy 270
Retumbo and WC872 for 338LM

Varget - my go-to powder in .308. With a good bullet shoots well in almost any .308 rifle.
8208 is the same for my .5.56
Ball powders are ok for plinking but I can't seem to get good accuracy from them in any rifle.

WST - awesome for .45 ACP and light loads in other calibers.
WSF - great for higher pressure pistols.

Varget for anything .308. It also was the winner, by a large margin, for .22-250 Not temperature sensitive, extremely consistant for both chamberings. It seems everyone knows this.

H-4350 for .243, 6.5 Creedmore, .260 Rem. Do not look into any other powder for those (and several other) chamberings. It seems everyone knows this as well.

I've had good luck with Viht powders, temp doesn't seem to matter, P dogs at 90 and coyotes at below 0!!! I also like how they run their #s low=hot and high=cool, easy to remember. Only downside is cost but its also the last one to sell out.
If Chris is a hoarder I'm glad you haven't seen my stash!!!

Is it just me or have others noticed a pressure/velocity plateau when you get around 100% fill volume with 4895. I'm getting very consistant 2650mv with 42.7 42.8 42.9 & 43.0.
Varget seems to be doing this in both 308's around 43.3gr

It'd be hard get useful data from 0.1 grain increments of powder in a .308 case.
Yea, but thats 0.4 grain difference producing the same MV. I'll try it this week with 41.2~6 and see what happens. It would just so happen that I swapped barrels with the actions so now I need to zero both again anyway.

Anyone here ever develop a load using IMR 4064 and 155 Scenars? I searched and there is very limited info out there. I know there are a number of better-suited powders out there, but 4064 is what I have, and I stumbled across the Scenars recently.

Back on topic...HP-38 is my favorite powder. It takes care of nearly all my pistol rounds (45, 9mm, 38spl). Not the cleanest powder, but that doesn't bother me.

IMR 4064 is what I use for my 308. It's accurate as can be with heavier bullets (SMK and AMAX). Seems temp stable. Not very friendly when it comes to case capacity. Use a drop tube if you are loading to max.

Reloader 22 is what I use in my 300wby mag. I haven't done much testing with the rounds, but it seems to work well so far. Load it hot for best results. Seems fairly clean as well.

H-335 is what I use for my 5.56/223 rounds. I see blistering velocity with this powder and no pressure signs. 25.5-26.5gr is the sweet spot using 55gr pills (work up to this as it is near max/over max).

afate45 said:
Anyone here ever develop a load using IMR 4064 and 155 Scenars? I searched and there is very limited info out there. I know there are a number of better-suited powders out there, but 4064 is what I have, and I stumbled across the Scenars recently.

Back when I "discovered" Varget, I was a 4064 user. I compared them quite a bit before choosing varget, mainly with 168, 175 and 180s.

What I found was they were *damn* near identical in charge weight vs. velocity, just the Varget seemed to always group a little better at 600 yards.

Varget works really nice in my 26" CBI with the 155 scenar for me. I use 47.5gr and get 2975fps, loaded at 2.850". I'd guess 4064 would be pretty similar.

Turbo, thank you very much! That is precisely the type of info I was looking for. Hopefully I can hit 2900 with my 24" barrel before running into pressure signs.

My favorite mid sized case powder is IMR 4064. I have found it to have the accuracy edge over Varget and all others. .308 with 155-175 grain bullets are ideal for IMR 4064.