• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's your rimfire cleaning routine

kpgman79

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2023
Texas
I heard that leaving wax on the barrel is good for accuracy, so I have been using only a dry Boresnake to clean out the powder residue and cruds. Should I run some solvents thorough it once in a while, and re-wax the barrel with fouling shots? What about in-between string cleaning?

I wipe down my wood stock every 4 trips with denatured alcohol . I never want to see that sticky black hand junk on my stock ever again lol on and wood wax to help it stay looking fresh and clean .

Reactions: JFR and kpgman79
I clean the carbon ring using boretech C4 with a chamber mop or q-tip style long swab every 200 rounds or so. I do not solvent clean the bore any longer, as I read an article by one of the folks at VGW saying he lets the bore "season" with the lubricants. Only a few dry patches down the bore after every outing.

I do pull a couple of dry patches through the wet C4 chamber and all the way to the muzzle, but supposedly, that does not disturb the curing that is going on.

I started this experiment over 6 months ago, probably 800+ rounds ago, and just shot my all-time best series of groupings last outing, averaging .2607 for 6 x 5 @50 yards. (I record all results from every session.)

So I can at least say that the results are not negative and may contribute to accuracy improvement. Only higher-end ammo (SK, Eley, Lapua) through that Krieger rimfire 22lr barrel.