• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's your sleep set up ?

Alphatreedog

Tier Potato
Minuteman
  • Feb 15, 2017
    I'm looking to shed some lbs and re do my sleep system . I'll be utilizing it for some adventure motorcycle camping as well as hiking .
    Would like to even incorporate as my go to for shtf on the go .
    Looking at ultralight sleep bivys but don't have any experience with them .
    I've used a two man tent , tarp and ranger roll , just the ranger roll and just a sleeping bag no pad . Thinking I want a lightweight pad , bivy and a wooby or bag liner .

What are you guys runnin for sleep ?

I have a one man Bessport tent with an inflatable pad and sleeping bag. I ride a V-STROM DL 650 and did a ride through the Appalachians from Northern Georgia to Pennsylvania using that setup. A little telescoping camping stove, sutures and Celox for "just in case" where's there's no cell phone coverage, as many parts of my trip were offroad and I did it solo.

THESE GUYS don't make the one I have anymore. Mine is a solo tent that weighs 15 ounces, if I recall correctly. I use a closed cell foam pad and a down bag.

If I were to get a new tent, I'd do THIS and add the freestanding kit.

Last edited:
    I have a few years under my belt using a bivy rather often/frequently. Given the choice- for similar weight/money (for a good bivy at least) I'd humbly suggest that you'd be far better served and much happier with some of the ultralight backpacking tents such as below.

As for a sleeping pad- you've got closed cell foam and inflatable options. Lots of companies offering the spectrum of choices, check out exped & thermarest to quickly get caught up with what the market has to offer and go from there.

The last part of your question regarding a wobbie or bag liner- you can certainly get away with that choice but again- for similar size factor/price, if you haven't taken the time to look into 'quilts' from sleeping bag manufacturers, you'd be cutting yourself short in my opinion. Think of the quilts as a wobbie on steroids with double the comfort and 10% less convenance of packing.

Just an opinion but hope that it helps you.

-LD

Last edited:
    Reactions: Alphatreedog
    Once I moved to Florida from California sleeping on the ground became a no go. The bugs will eat you. Lol

I use hammock and rain cover now
    Mike
    Apple cider vinegar w/mother will keep the bugs away in most people. I do two table spoons in a glass of water everyday, some folks add local honey. Drier sheets rubbed on all exposed skin work for some as well. In Fla there is a whole host of eaters, some real small some otherwise, no matter the leg count. Nothing like waking up and mister no shoulders is laying next to or across you.
    Long ago we spent a week and a half training some guys from up north, in Green swamp. We tried to tell them about what lived in that swamp but they knew everything, well until the first night. They could not get out of that swamp fast enough once we finished their training & signed off.

Big Anges tents mostly these days - I use the lightest one possible for the trip / conditions
    Tarp if it’s a short trip with a solid forecast.
    Western Mountaineering bags mostly - again keeping it as light as possible.
    Various pads - mostly Thermarest. A very key part of staying warm at night so don't ignore this. If I want to fudge it to something a few ounces heavier to stay warm I’ll go to a heavier pad before going to a heavier bag.
    I go a lot farther and it’s more enjoyable with less weight. My pack weight for summer is around 8 lbs. including everything (shelter, clothing, cooking, med, etc.) before food and water. Not UL but easy to carry.
    This is a gun board so to clarify, I don’t carry any weapons when backpacking - even weeks at a time. Never have and never encountered a reason to in many years, thousands of miles, and probably well over a thousand nights In the wilderness. You do what ever makes you feel safe though.

Check http://sectionhiker.com for lots of good non-shill reviews.

I’m no expert, never used a bivy but researched them a lot…seem to be more in their element when in high alpine environments/snow.

I too would 100% choose a light tent over a bivy. Just think how wet you would be setting up/taking down a bivy in the rain, not even counting the condensation in the morning.

Think about how awkward it is trying to get out of a bivy in wet conditions. Filthy.

Think about where you’d store your gear if you didn’t have the nice dry vestibule that a decent light tent provides.

I would never choose a bivy unless I was a hard man with a goretex sleeping bag with a separate first layer vapor barrier liner so not to soak the bag’s insulation with your sweat vapor. Especially important with down bags over extended trips.

Check http://sectionhiker.com for lots of good non-shill reviews.

I’m no expert, never used a bivy but researched them a lot…seem to be more in their element when in high alpine environments/snow.

I too would 100% choose a light tent over a bivy. Just think how wet you would be setting up/taking down a bivy in the rain, not even counting the condensation in the morning.

Think about how awkward it is trying to get out of a bivy in wet conditions. Filthy.

Think about where you’d store your gear if you didn’t have the nice dry vestibule that a decent light tent provides.

I would never choose a bivy unless I was a hard man with a goretex sleeping bag with a separate first layer vapor barrier liner so not to soak the bag’s insulation with your sweat vapor. Especially important with down bags over extended trips.
    Yeah, that’s pretty much the deal with bivy sacks. Best if you’re sleeping tied in and there’s no space for even a small tent. Outside of that they’re good in a pinch or as an emergency option but I’m over the hard man stuff and will opt for a small tent where possible. If you feel like you need a bivy sack get one with a hoop.

Reactions: carbonbased
    I’m a bit on the heavy side here. When my son bridged over from Cub Scouts to Boy Scouts (ScoutsBSA now), I talked with a friend who owns a Mountaineering shop. He sold me his MSR Nook with vestibule for a great price (thinning his personal inventory). At less than 3 pounds with vestibule and footprint, this two man tent has served me well through my son‘s scouting career. A Thermarest pad and Wiggy’s bags (30* Patrol and 0* Inner) and a poncho liner round out the kit. I mix and match depending on the activity and predicted Wether.

The Wiggy’s bags are not as light as some of the UL bags, but I was also looking at durability since they replaced a 30 year old Slumberjack 0* bag.

This set has done me well from Klondike camping in the snow at 5* F, to backpacking in the 40*’s, to car camping/Scout Camp when night time temps are in the 70’s.

FWIW, Wiggy’s is a GSA supplier for sleep systems. The Mrs. has a U.S. G.I. Full sleep system and a woobie too and manages just fine in the above mentioned activities.

I‘d love a Western Mountaneering UL 0* bag that packs down to the size of a cantaloupe, but I had to balance durability/weight/size/cost and went the route that I did.