• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing what's your take????

bowstryder

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2008
grottoes, va
I have been watching the "in" way of hunting a bit and was wondering what everyone elses take on the new trend of "extreme" long range hunting. I am not the best shooter in the world but far from the worst and I would seriously take issue with shooting big game at distances up to and over 1k yds. I have seen it, obviously believe it, but don't think I would be the one behind the trigger on a 6.5-284 pointed at a trophy bull 900+ yds off. Or better yet 700 yds on a griz with a 7mm. Dont get me wrong, for some it seems to be very effective, and to them, ethical. But how many yahoo's are out there thinking they can do the same with there walmart special vanguards and $150 tascos wounding and never finding these awesome creatures? I like to watch em drop with one shot but I am weary of the impact it may present to some other not so responsible hunters. jmo

Re: what's your take????

That is why I purchased my 338lapua. I am very interested in long range hunting. I dont think I am ready for 1000+ but I have made kills on Javelinas at 800+. Hopefully next year I will get a whitetail at 1000 (If conditions are PERFECT!!) I would not shoot otherwise.

I have seen these videos as well. It would be a good idea for these shows to add a disclaimer at the beginning of their shows and some do. I also saw one where the guy after shooting a Grizzly at somewhere close to 800 yards stated that he new his rifle and the ballistics of the ammo he was using and practiced at longer distances. Hopefully people that are watching are smart enough to take the same approach to long range shots as well. There is always that 10% that won't and its a default peecentage that unfortunately I don't think people can avoid. Personnally I have the thinking and reasoning ability to know that I would not take the shot unless I know for a fact that I can kill what my X- hairs are centered on based on rifle, bullet performance, terrain etc..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowstryder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> But how many yahoo's are out there thinking they can do the same with there <span style="color: #FF0000">walmart special vanguards and $150 tascos</span> </div></div>

They likely will not find them cause they don't hit them

Let's not forget the hazard longrange hunting poses to other hunters. Some guy is stalking an elk for a sensible 80 yard shot and some <span style="font-weight: bold">dumbass</span> decides to take a 800 yard shot at the elk and misses.

Post edited to not disrespect any hillbillys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let's not forget the hazard longrange hunting poses to other hunters. Some guy is stalking an elk for a sensible 80 yard shot and some hillbilly decides to take a 800 yard shot at the elk and misses. </div></div>

"Hillbilly's" are generally a good shot, dumbasses on the otherhand.....
smile.gif

My opinion is that it's one of those bragging rights situation. I practise out to 500yds (range limitations) and have practised out to 700 yds on a regular basis. But I haven't taken a shot past 125 yds yet on big game. The stalk is part of the hunt for me so that's where I prioritize my bragging rights. I believe Finn Aargard never took a shot at uninjured game past 200 yds, and he had much more hunting experience than I'll ever have so I use him as a guide for my hunting ethics. But I don't see anything wrong with it if the hunter educates themselves, practises at long ranges, and takes the necessary precations. I personally will practise long range shooting for my varmint hunting, and even then my goal is first shot humane hits.

I am not for or against long range hunting, But there are just as many short range hunters that could not hit the broad side of a barn. It comes down to your personal experience and skill level.

There is a reason I hunt in the wide open sage brush, because I do not trust the local yahoo that sights his rifle in the day before season and is out taking sound shots. At least I can see the other hunters (if I see any others) at a long ways off.

You can not fix stupid no matter if your taking extended range shots in poor conditions or just an idiot taking a short range shot in perfect conditions!

Just like in tactical precision shooting, there are guys that practice and practice in all conditions and can make all shots 100% of the time at distances and conditions they see fit. I can tell you there are guys that take long range hunting just as serious and are just as good.

As for the general population, do we dumb down all activities for the lowest common denominator?

Willys46

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Willys46</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not for or against long range hunting, But there are just as many short range hunters that could not hit the broad side of a barn. It comes down to your personal experience and skill level.

There is a reason I hunt in the wide open sage brush, because I do not trust the local yahoo that sights his rifle in the day before season and is out taking sound shots. At least I can see the other hunters (if I see any others) at a long ways off.

You can not fix stupid no matter if your taking extended range shots in poor conditions or just an idiot taking a short range shot in perfect conditions!</div></div>

Well said!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drmarc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let's not forget the hazard longrange hunting poses to other hunters. Some guy is stalking an elk for a sensible 80 yard shot and some hillbilly decides to take a 800 yard shot at the elk and misses. </div></div>

"Hillbilly's" are generally a good shot, dumbasses on the otherhand.....
smile.gif
</div></div>

Point taken. my apologies. Post changed. Cheers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drmarc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just bustin your chops a bit shankster!
smile.gif
</div></div>

I deserve all I get... and then some.

This has been discussed many times, and I believe it comes down to the shooter and knowing is eqiupment. I have passed on taking shots at 790 yards on deer. Instead, I drilled one at 604 yards in perfect conditions. When you know your equipment and the conditions are right, you can make long range hits on game. I enjoy the stalk, so that's why I bow hunt. When I have a rifle in hand, I'll take a long shot with a good shooting position in a heart beat. But, most hunters do not have the right equipment to make an accurate or repeatable shot at long distances.

Definately have to know your rifle and equipment. And now your limitations. If you can hit an 8x8 plate every time at 800 yards then that would be an acceptable shot. If not I would call it careless. I have not taken a shot past 500 on big game. I lost one animal that I shot years ago with a bow. My season was done. Unfortunately there are people that will take a 600 yard shot with their walmart gear and have no clue. But those people will do it with or without the shows on TV.

All well put. I do love to shoot "out there" but I enjoy the thrill of a good stalk and/or being able to watch a big game animal up close. I RESPECT the fellow who can put a big bull down at close to a grand with, what some consider miniscule, a lil 6.5. But I also RESPECT a man that can put down a grizz with a long bow. Would I (personally) do either...? no but that doesnt mean that those who can, shouldn't. I just hate to see something so technical and respectful being the muse for said "dumbasses" Just wanted to see what other folks thought.

Both the recurve at 5 yds and the 300wsm,180 grn at 500 get my rocks off. But close quarters gets my dime every time, it is just more man vrs beast, especially with piggies, I am seriously considering a cold steel spear head come April first.

Didn't Tred Barta try that on a show not to long ago? The Barta way is the Hard way. That guy's crazy.

If you want to impress with your "hunting" skills, post a pic of a contact wound. If you want to plink at loong distance, do it on a varmint.

I kind of equate it to idiots that skybust geese and ducks. These a lot more wounding than killing when they do it.

Inexperienced shooters will have the same results.

Be honest with yourself. Take the shot only when you KNOW you can make a clean kill. If you have any doubt at all dont fire.

Thinking you can, seeing if you can, and knowing if you can, are three different things.....practice at exelling on the knowing part. Just my 2 "sense"

i don't think any responsible person in his right state of mind,wakes up one morning and decides to take a shot over 500 yards with-out some sort of practise.

i think i am a good shot, but i wouldnt try hunting at long range until i was certain i could drop the animal where it stood.. i dont like tracking wounded deer when i hunting normally, and having to huff it 1000 yards and THEN start tracking is not on my to-do list. lol

I don't think you have to worry about the walmart boys hitting anything at longrange because they aren't going to spend the money on a range finder that will read past 500 yards. I spent about $6500 on my rig(GAP 7wsm) and I can't afford a range finder that will put me into its limitations. I'm stuck within 500 yards because that's the maximum consistancy I can get out of a Nikon 800. I think if you put a salt block or corn pile under your 1000 yard ar plate - chances should be real good. Want a swaro for christmas!

In last 28 years, I only lost two deer hit with a rifle. Archery on the other hand, 23 kills - lost xx. Face the facts - more deer die from being wounded by vehicles than anything else. Vice versa too. p.s. I don't bow hunt anymore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"A man has got to know his limitations" ......some Clint Eastwood movie. </div></div>

Magnum Force.

[.

I've seen people make bad shots at animals many times, at ranges they didn't even know. Thank goodness they had no Idea where to aim so no harm was done. Like others have said before, I dont think it matters if its 150 or 1500 yds, there is some dumbass outthere that will try his luck. I dont think that should limit the rest of us, only our own capabilities should do that. I've taken deer at 900 yds, antelope at 850, and just a few weeks ago an elk at 560. the first two were under perfect conditions, I had all the time(and I hoped enough practice) to pull it off, and I did. the last one was a little more difficult, but my practice at 600yds made shooting on the fly comfortable, even at that range. I think its all about the practice, and everyones capabilities.