• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Whats your thoughts on Olympic Arms Inc?

flyfisher117

Professional Milk Jug Hunter
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2010
Idaho
crazy.gif
I will admit it ive gotten black gun fever
crazy.gif

Anyways ive decided that next Sept. when i turn 18 im going to buy my first gun (first as in no need for dad) and ive also decided that if i get the funds im going to get an AR-15.

me and my dad dont have any idea where to begin with these guns hes always wanted one but never gotten one just because he has no clue as to whats good or bad or cheap or over priced.

Olympic Arms has caught my eye.
Here is the gun i like and have heard good stuff about

Anyways is that a good gun? good company? Im looking at a good gun for under $1000 that will get me started into the AR world. As long as it shoots MOS (Minute of Squirrel) i will be happy.

Is there something better for around the same price? my oly requirments in a gun are Flat Top and no front sights so i can mount a scope, and it has to be .223 or 5.56

Re: Whats your thoughts on Olympic Arms Inc?

I was also thinking about getting an upper and lower assembly from Stag.

Upper

Lower

What would you pick if you were just getting started into AR's and were on a budget?

Bro, I am not a fan of Olympic. I would choose stag over Olympic. I would prefer you look at Daniel Defense, Rock River, Noveske, LWRC...I could go on, but don't look for an AR based on price, if it is cheap, it is probably cheap...

i know the shop that makes noveske and spikes... just saying

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ninja Pirtle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bro, I am not a fan of Olympic. I would choose stag over Olympic. I would prefer you look at Daniel Defense, Rock River, Noveske, LWRC...I could go on, but don't look for an AR based on price, if it is cheap, it is probably cheap... </div></div>

+1. ARs are one of those things you truly get what you pay for. You could consider DPMS. They are quality rifles and are closer to the price range you're looking for. What Ninja suggested are excellent makers but are on the pricey end. I would look at DPMS and Rock River for starters. Good luck and have fun!

i own one, while its not a POS like some people like to say it is, it wouldnt be my first choice. i bought mine off a friend who needed some cash pretty badly otherwise i wouldnt have one. that being said, i HAVE had it for a very long time (A2) and have had zero issues with it. its the 16" stainless model. shoots well for what it is. ive replaced most everything on it now except the actual upper and lower reciver.
my reccomendation is to buy one you can grow with. if your going to buy steel cased wolf and show your friends your "black rifle," sure, its going to be perfect for you. but if you plan on becoming serious about shooting i believe you will find yourself wanting more from your rifle than it will offer you.

spend a little more and get something you can grow into. its your first rifle, buy one your not going to have to modify or upgrade so quickly. it might cost a little more now, but it will save you money in the long run.

Generally no, Olympic has a poor reputation for quality and I almost always recommend against them. They do make good barrels but I wouldn't buy an AR from them. I did have a SGW (old Oly) during the ban but it needed to have the ears machined to use any upper other than the A2 that came with it.

You can (and IMHO) should keep a front sight as it in no way affects your use of a scope but gives you one less thing to buy to run irons. Flat top is always a good idea for obvious reasons but again, I'd stick with the A-frame front myself.

There are any number of quality makers out there that are comparable in price with a higher quality product. At this point I think the "M4" clone is a little passé' but that doesn't change the fact that it's a good base and since they are pretty much the de-facto standard any more they can be had for a good price. I agree that you should get one that you can grow with though.

Charles Daly went out of business about a year ago but the AR's they made just before going under were some of the best at a very good price and can be found for under $1000.

Case in point: This auction

I'd advise getting the 5.56 chamber over the .223 so you can feed it pretty much any crap that you can find in .223 or 5.56.

As far as quality makers other than CD; Stag, Spikes, Colt, Bushmaster, Rock River Arms, Daniel Defense, CMMG, and about 200 other makers are all fairly reputable. It's easier to say stay away from Olympic, Hesse, Blackthorne, any plastic lowers other than Cavarms (they are good but no longer made), or any new AR that sells for under about $700. Personally I'm not a DPMS fan either but YMMV as I know several people who are happy with them.

I hope that helps.

Read all that Glenn Zediker has to say about AR's. Of the reading I've done for 35 years he's the smartest and most reliable source of information on AR's that I've read. There are others equally qualifited, but they don't know me.
wink.gif

DPMS is out for me... There is something about there guns and company that i do not like. not sure what it is but i just do not like them.

Can i go wrong buying say an upper assembly from Rock River and a Lower assembly from another company and mixing and matching?

What is the quality like on an upper like this?

What about this lower assembly?

Heres another question... the upper i showed here just above says its an A4 and the lower says its an A2... are A4 and A2 compatible? IF so would you consider that to be a pretty good beginner set up?

M16 - Pencil barrel, windage only sight adjustment, short stock, 3 prong flash hider, full auto

M16A1 - Pencil barrel with new twist rate and chrome chamber, birdcage flash hider, forward assist, full auto

M16A2 - Windage and elevation adjustable rear sight, heavier barrel with twist change, new hand guards and longer stock, reinforced lower, 3 shot burst

M16A3 - Export only A4 but in full auto.

M16A4 - Flat top upper, 3 shot burst, all other features are the same as an A2

By substituting AR15 for M16 you get the semi auto only versions of these guns.

So saying A2 on a lower refers to the reinforcements that were added to the M16 family in about 1983 for the M16A2. And A4 upper means it's a 20" flat top. Yes they are compatible if you want to go that route but I really don't see any reason to. You can usually order what you want directly from most companies.

The parts you picked out are decent kit and would probably get you a good start. I assume from your choices that you want a target/hunting rig rather than anything on the "tactical" bent correct? If so you may want to consider a RRA lower as it has a decent 2 stage right from the factory.

I'd look to some other company than Oly. Companies like Bushmaster, Rock River Arms, Stag, etc. Should all be serviceable.

You could conceivably study up and learn to assemble your own lower and then buy a pre assembled upper from someone like Bravo Company.

The standard front sight post should be fine. What is the range of the hypothetical squirrel to be picked off?

a guy just built one for $850 so prices are good. look in this section for his build sheet

Look at rock river or Bushmaster for budget factory guns.

Also: check out the website for bravo company, they will sell you everything you need, and it will be good stuff that won't cost you a ton.

look at bravo company a4 rifle , rra standard a4 rifle , stag arms a4 rifle. they all can be had for around 1000.00 and will give you a good basic rifle you can build on as you learn your needs. either of these would make a great all around hunting target shooting rifle and not break your back packing it or the bank adding stuff you dont need.

This gun

So pretend i took the A4 gun shown above the one with flat top i could still mount a scope to it without using some elevated rings and i wouldnt have the tip of the front sight in my FOV?

And are there any cheap ways to shave weight off of an AR? i was thinking changing the handguard can be cheap and it might take at least half a pound off. and then yes im sure there are high quality carbon fiber uppers and lowers and barrels and bolt carriers that could take a few pounds off but i know i couldnt afford any of that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nw1911guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What is the range of the hypothetical squirrel to be picked off? </div></div>that varies... ive had some as close as 20 yards and some as far as 130 yards

Olympic arms is the company that should have been. It was the the first company to produce flat-top upper receivers, free floating aluminum hand guards, pistol caliber conversions, and AR-15 based pistols, amongst other things. I have fired many of their rifles over the years,and most were decent. But I honestly wouldn't buy one, their parts yes, but not a complete rifle. They were geared for mass production and selling over to governments overseas. Shop around and look for a nice decnt used one, then have someone change out the front sight post for a low profile block and you will be good to go.

Check out Smith and Wessons' M&P Ar rifles. I have one of the M&P 15T and I am very happy with it. It was my first AR platform rifle and I will probably buy another one after I am done with my DPMS lr 308 build. You can find models that are a little less decked out within your price range. +1 Just buy one and start shooting and having fun. Welcome to the black rifle brotherhood.

You might send a pm with any questions to furtaker223, he has built about a half a dozen ar's in the last year and a half.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ninja Pirtle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bro, I am not a fan of Olympic. I would choose stag over Olympic. I would prefer you look at Daniel Defense, Rock River, Noveske, LWRC...I could go on, but don't look for an AR based on price, if it is cheap, it is probably cheap...</div></div>

+1 on this.
I would look at the stag, or RRA. They will be in your price range, and will be a great reliable rifle.
If you watch, you will find some great uppers and lowers for sale in the accessories thread.
There is a RRA 20" varmint complete upper now for 500.00 or so. Just saying.

Just find what you want, buy it, get some ammo and go shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fourbits</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take a look at the Rock River "always on sale" AR 15.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=463

It's right at your price point and has a lot of features not found on $1000 AR's. Two stage trigger, Ergo grip, Free float hand guard. </div></div>

I actually kind of like the looks of that gun. Its got a flat top and a front sight (that also folds down out of the way) it comes with the rear sight and also 2 magazines.

Only downside i see with it is it weighs 8 pounds... but i think if i even just changed the clunky rear stock to something a little slimmer i could at least shave a half pound off.

it would be nice because it has iron sights so i wouldnt need to get a scope ASAP i could shoot irons for a while and get to know the gun (but i need A LOT of practice with open sights i suck with them so dont shoot them too often.)

Does this gun stay this price forever? or still be this price in september?

I bought an OlyArms PCR rifle in 2001. The non-spec OlyArms buffer came apart in the buffer tube in the first mag I shot out of it. I put a USGI buffer in it and was good to go until the bolt stop broke. Replaced it, test fired it, and sold it. I would never spend money on one.

I don't know if it is always that price but it certainly does seem to be a good buy right now. I wouldn't touch the stock as it offers about the best cheek weld you can get on a collapsible stock and will help when shooting with glass.

I really don't think you're going to shave much if any weight off of it considering it already has a light barrel profile. If you put a DD hand guard and ditched the stock maybe about a pound but I wouldn’t lay money on that much.

Another thing you may consider is buying used. I’ve bought MANY used AR’s off of the ARFCOM boards and always had good luck. So long as you know exactly what you’re buying you should be good to go.

the_noobie -

What is your total budget for the rifle?

What is the list of features you want the rifle to have?

Which of these features are mandatory and which optional?

Make a list and put the features in order so that you know where you can draw a line to stay within your budget.

Post this info and it will be a lot easier for others to help you build your rifle.

Also, recognize that if you are only going to shoot 55 grain bullets and less that a slower twist barrel will be ok for you.

However, if you want to shoot the longer range, harder hitting bullets (62 to 90 grain bullets) you MUST use a faster twist barrel.

Unless you have a fancy switch barrel AR, you need to chose the upper limit for bullet weight that you are going to use. The FASTER twist barrel can shoot the lighter bullets but NOT the other way around. But the faster twist barrels cost more as well.

but I'm getting ahead of myself!

What is your total budget just for rifle itself (not optics) and what is your list of features that it must have?

Olympic is generally junk. However, they do have 1 product that's awesome. Their SS Ultramatch barrels in 1:8 are sick. I picked up one of their 20" barrels and had it cut down to 18". It's far and away exceeds the expectations of AR performance IMHO.

On a budget, look at DPMS or Stag. More than solid rifles without paying for the tactical Gucci name.

Rich

Price range is not set in stone because it all depends on what kind of money i make this up coming summer but im wanting to get just the gun for $1000 or less.

Features that are 100% needed are flat top upper

What i would like but are not needed just a bonus if i can get them are: free float handguard, fixed position stock (the 6 position stocks dont feel good too me but i could live with one for a few years)

Honestly i dont have much as to what it HAS to have im just wanting a basic little gun to get me started out for now. Cheaper the better but ultimately quality is what im after

good info here---I've never admitted that I used the Oly supermatch bbls before! I have owned only 2 AR's that would not run reliably but both were in the early 80's (Oly and Bushmaster)
don't know or care if they have improved--there are too many good ones to look bak

have you looked into armalite yet and have you considered buying a used ar. there are a lot of good used guns floating around out there if you can find the right one for you.

Well, I would steer clear from Olympic. The use a lot of cast parts!!! Cast is weaker than forged parts. Though some claim it is stronger, billet is not as strong as forgings, but is more expensive. All in what you want. Olympic is bottom of the barrel company. I will say however, they do work and fire when you pull the trigger. Do some research. Most AR companies get their parts from the same places. Make sure your choice company uses forged parts. One thing to consider is the barrel. Chrome lining is not necessary, but Chrome lining adds to reliability and chrome is harder than steel. Chrome Moly are OK, just not mil-spec. Sure they will last and shoot just fine too. Know what your buying. Look at rifles and options. Ask questions from someone who knows about each option.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PoserHater</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, The use a lot of cast parts!!! Cast is weaker than forged parts. </div></div>

What cast parts is Oly still using? I thought that was last century.

Well, it has been a while since I have handled an Olympic, but I was certain the front sight posts (at minimum) were made from casting. I have not confirmed this, but I heard they were using cast trigger components. If this is no longer true, let me know.........

"Please not that Olympic Arms no longer uses cast receivers on any of our AR-15 models"

I found this on their website. I knew they were using cast receivers at one time and was not sure if they were still using them or not. I have seen several front sight bases that were made from castings..........

"You can (and IMHO) should keep a front sight as it in no way affects your use of a scope but gives you one less thing to buy to run irons. Flat top is always a good idea for obvious reasons but again, I'd stick with the A-frame front myself."

What do you mean? If a scope is mounted to the top of a flat top upper, the A2 front post will not get in the way? I bout an upper with a picatinny gas block instead of an A2 front sight post and I hate it. I dont think it is as solid as the A2. I have seen people with the A2 post and with a scope attched.............

Yes. So long as you're not using a lower powered scope you'll never really see the A-frame because it's too close. I'm not a fan of the 1913 gas blocks either and would rather have a standard A-frame or a low-pro block with flip-up's on the rail. Either way it's (I think) a better option and generally more durable/relaible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PoserHater</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"You can (and IMHO) should keep a front sight as it in no way affects your use of a scope but gives you one less thing to buy to run irons. Flat top is always a good idea for obvious reasons but again, I'd stick with the A-frame front myself."

What do you mean? If a scope is mounted to the top of a flat top upper, the A2 front post will not get in the way? I bout an upper with a picatinny gas block instead of an A2 front sight post and I hate it. I dont think it is as solid as the A2. I have seen people with the A2 post and with a scope attched............. </div></div>

front sight can be seen thru many optics and can be very distracting at just the wrong time. but then maybe an experienced nonposer operator such as yerself would already know that clown.

Try S&W MP-15's they are well built and usually priced within your budget. If your dead set on a scope, skip the front fixed sight, I would get a nice set of BUIS. Bushmaster RRA, and STAG will also fit the bill.

Oh boy someone dug deep for this thread.

Ive held off on my AR search for a while. Im going to slowly put money into a jar each month and keep saving up. Going to save up as much as a possibly can and just have Specialized dynamics build me a gun that is EXACTLY what im looking for