• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors What's your thoughts on using a gemtech g5(5.56) for a 6.5creedmoor(.264)

cooperwhitetails

Private
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2012
Whats the consensus on being able to shoot the 6.5 creedmoor thru the gemtech g5 which is made for the 5.56? The bullet will fall thru with no problems and plenty of clearance. I've been told there are some shooters doing this with no problems.

First I've heard of it but I can about bet your asking for trouble. If you do end up with a baffle strike, I wonder how Gemtech will see it?

Whats the consensus on being able to shoot the 6.5 creedmoor thru the gemtech g5 which is made for the 5.56? The bullet will fall thru with no problems and plenty of clearance. I've been told there are some shooters doing this with no problems.

I just measured the exit hole on my m4-2000, .280. That is definatly not plenty of clearance for a bullet .264. Unless Gemtech has really opened up their baffles, you're asking for trouble.

Yeah better have perfect Class 3 threads and alignment. Not enough room for me..

Might work (once). Usually the first baffle is tighter than the last baffle. so if you measure the end cap it could be bigger that the blast baffle.

DO NOT DO THAT!!! You are risking bodily harm and blowing up your can. If others are doing it left them try first. Stand behind a barrier when they pull the trigger.

^^^ +1

6.5-5.56=0.94mm That's millimeters! 0.94/25.4=0.037in I've got more clearance between my bolt body and receiver! Less than 4 hundredths of an inch is not enough to safely do that to your $$$$$ can and tax stamp. Not to mention case capacity, which is why you can't shoot 5.56 through a can (even a well built can) made for .22lr or .22mag. I can measure the holes in my .308 can and convince myself that it would let a .338 bullet through. Even without a baffle strike, something bad would happen. Don't do it.

Buy a can for a 6.5 creedmoor, or get a custom tapered reamer ground and have a gunsmith with sound supperssor experience ream those baffles to the appropriate diameter and taper.

Buy a can for a 6.5 creedmoor, or get a custom tapered reamer ground and have a gunsmith with sound supperssor experience ream those baffles to the appropriate diameter and taper.

Changing the caliber of a suppressor is a federal offense punishable by 10 years in prison and/or fines up to $250K.
Do not take the above advice at all.....

If you do it, do it while the can is at the dealer, saving the 200 transfer tax, video it ith multiple cameras, some sprung super sli motion and post the video.

We're body armor and stand behind barricade.

Let's not advise people to be negligent with their firearms. Simply do not shoot a 5.56 suppressor on a 6.5 anything rifle. You are asking for disaster.

I would definitely go with a 30 cal can or bad things might happen. I have used a 5.56 can with a 6mmx45 which is a 5.56 necked up to 6mm and it worked fine but I wouldn't shoot a bigger bullet through it. Just my 2 cents

How come in 10 days and over 425 views, no one has suggested asking Gemtech what their opinion is? IMO, their thoughts on this are the only thing I would trust, for a multitude of reasons. You probably won't like the answer they give you, but you'll never know their stance on the inquiry if you don't ask them.

How come in 10 days and over 425 views, no one has suggested asking Gemtech what their opinion is? IMO, their thoughts on this are the only thing I would trust, for a multitude of reasons. You probably won't like the answer they give you, but you'll never know their stance on the inquiry if you don't ask them.

Because guys that know what's going on have already explained why it won't be safe to do so. Keeping that in mind, why waste Gemtech's time on something that we already know.

Because guys that know what's going on have already explained why it won't be safe to do so. Keeping that in mind, why waste Gemtech's time on something that we already know.

I agree it's a bad idea but I disagree that it's wasting a manufacturer's time to ask them what the capabilities are of a product that they produced. I had a question about the capabilities of one of my supressors (not as obvious an answer as the OP's) so I shot the manufacturer an email. Within 2 days I got an email back with an answer, which I put a lot more faith in than the random musings of anonymous people on the interwebz.

Please enlighten me on how to verify that the people posting in this thread "know what's going on", better than the company that produced the suppressor.

I bought a GEMTECH suppresser for a 22 this thing was a total waste of money and is built very cheaply.

as a manufacturer I'd rather have you ask me than an internet board filled with people who have no real idea what they're talking about. If it was my 5.56 can I'd tell you that it would indeed handle the pressure and if you did have a baffle strike it wouldn't result in flying shrapnel destroying the whole firing line. It wouldn't likely be as quiet as it is on the 556 due to the increased volume of gas but it wouldn't blow up either. As for legality ATF has stated that you cannot open the baffles up for a larger cal but they don't directly state that you cannot use the can on a larger cal. It could be a bit of a grey area so be aware. As for the clearance of the baffle to bullet diameter it is a bit tight though I would ask Gemtech for their opinion. Some cans can be that close and work fine, some can't. 5.56 has a tendency to wobble right out of the bore so it needs more clearance then some other cals. 308 doesn't seem to have that problem and can have a tighter bore to bullet diameter clearance.
I would recommend you not use my 556 can on a 6.5 CM because it would not likely work as you want, may not be legal and could have baffle strikes causing impacts other than at the intended target.

Just my opinions

Frank