• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Whay glass are you running on your .17hmr?

hukset402

Weld On!
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2020
nebraska
I have a savage heavy barrel in .17hmr. Bought it in 2007 or 2008. Had a Baraka so 3x9 when I bought it. Then I put on a nikon 3x9. When I moved I found about 1k rounds of HMR I didn't know I had. We moved from the suburbs to 5.5 acres in the middle of nowhere so now I can shoot it when ever I want so I've been shooting it more. Been toying with upgrading the glass on it.

I'm not in the market to drop more that $500.
Was thinking about an arken or a vortex DB.

Dosnt have to have adjustable turrets.

What do you guys run?

In that price range some options are Bushnell Match Pro, Vortex Venom, Athlon Argos and Arken among others.

I found a burris RT/15 at my lgs used for like $300. It seems just about perfect. I use it for everything from shooting roosters in the face when the population dictates to coons and opossums around the homestead.

I just bought a vortex DB 2-7, its for 22's usually but it is working great, I can only shoot 100 yards though.

I bought my Sav 17 BMR about 10yago. At the time, I did not know the difference between good glass and great glass. I planned to do some hunting with it so I did not want a 6-24x as the fov is too small. But I also wanted to do some long range plinking with it. Not wanting to spend a ton of money, I ended up with a BSA sweet 17 scope in 4-12x. It is cheap, does not have great turrets but does have decent glass. Arken did not exist then. An Arken is a great choice. But, what do you plan to do with it? The Arken is a very large, heavy optic that might detract from overall portability. It is a great target optic from long range work in your price range. I have four of them on other rifles but they are not for field work.

I have a Hawke 4-12 with illuminated reticle on my 17hmr, it works well enough that I haven't considered changing it.

I bought my Sav 17 BMR about 10yago. At the time, I did not know the difference between good glass and great glass. I planned to do some hunting with it so I did not want a 6-24x as the fov is too small. But I also wanted to do some long range plinking with it. Not wanting to spend a ton of money, I ended up with a BSA sweet 17 scope in 4-12x. It is cheap, does not have great turrets but does have decent glass. Arken did not exist then. An Arken is a great choice. But, what do you plan to do with it? The Arken is a very large, heavy optic that might detract from overall portability. It is a great target optic from long range work in your price range. I have four of them on other rifles but they are not for field work.
Mainly just plinking and pest control. I have other options if I'm gonna do anything at distance.

I have a Hawke 4-12 with illuminated reticle on my 17hmr, it works well enough that I haven't considered changing it.
I have a Hawke 4-12x on a CZ452 American that was one of my primary quack rifles. That little optic is a great fit for rimfire. Clear as a bell. Better scope than the BSA but at a higher price.

I just bought a vortex DB 2-7, its for 22's usually but it is working great, I can only shoot 100 yards though.
Ditto. I have a Crossfire II on my 17 that only goes to 7X ( came with the rifle ). Wouldn`t be comfortable at all shooting over about 125yards. It`s sub-MOA capable at 100 yards but not every time.

An eotech
12781F90-5C42-4214-8839-FDA65ED75EA1.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: BKSSNIPER
Meopta Optika 5 4x20x44 on my 457 American
$449.00 at scope list

Last edited:
I put a Westhunter 4-16 X44 Chinese thing on my Savage. It was fairly inexpensive at a buck-thirty or so.
I'm limited to a 50 yard range, but it works pretty well for me.